M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Ive had mine 1 week. I think if you install it as the directions tell you its OK.

If you adjust it as high as it will go. Its even better. I did notice that when wearing a helmet i get really bad turbulence.

As for the look, its great. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I have the vstream Tour, the height helps but it too has to be pushed up as far as it will go or you get some turbulence off the top of the helmet, I pushed the top two brackets inward which pushed the top of the shield up slightly and eliminated most of it:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The sport is really only good enough to keep the wind off of your chest. IMHO, if you are looking for something to deflect the wind entirely off of you I'd look at other shields.

EDIT: I am 6' and the wind hits me square on the helmet. It would work for shorter riders.

·
Registered
75 Posts
SPORT

IM 5'6 AND HAVE THE VSTREAM TOUR AND HAVE NO WIND ON ME IT GOES ABOUT 4" OVER MY HELMET, I RUN 85 DOWN THE INTERSTATE WITH MY SHIELD UP WITH NO PROBLEM. WOULDNT CHANGE IT FOR ANYTHING.

·
Registered
813 Posts
SVZuki is right...I am 5'10" and I have the clear one (love it) but if you are much taller, I can see you getting some buffeting.

I had it off for a few weeks while I was uhmmm, er, tinkering :)dontknow: :D :bigthumbsup:) and I noticed it DEFINITELY blocks the majority of the wind...actually, I was suprised how much. It is back on now (sorry Nick, I know you like riding without yours ;)) and I am glad...it does make a big difference.

Chip

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I just installed the Vstream touring and it is pretty good. At speeds below 70 I get very little wind. Above 70, I get a bit at the top of the helment. I might try adjusting a little more. I had the sport shield and never installed it. I sold it to a friend (Justbman) and I must say, I like the looks of the sport better. Since I do a lot of highway traveling, I needed more protection.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
SVZuki is right...I am 5'10" and I have the clear one (love it) but if you are much taller, I can see you getting some buffeting.

I had it off for a few weeks while I was uhmmm, er, tinkering :)dontknow: :D :bigthumbsup:) and I noticed it DEFINITELY blocks the majority of the wind...actually, I was suprised how much. It is back on now (sorry Nick, I know you like riding without yours ;)) and I am glad...it does make a big difference.

Chip
The clear one doesn't look bad compared to the dark smoke I had. But it is now on its way to Texas, so it won't be back on my bike.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have the Vstream Touring clear, I've adjusted it high on the forks and bent the bottom brackets such that I managed to get the shield 7.5" above the tach (as high as I have been able to get it so far).

I'm 5' 11" and this puts the wind right at the top of my forehead. With the visor down on my full face helmet it get occasional head buffeting but it's tolerable especially considering the benefit of reduced wind pressure on my torso and face. I do still get some bugs on my visor but much less than without the shield.

At speeds above 50 mph with my visor up that wind at my forehead tends to catch the visor and tries to push it back down, I also get much more head buffeting at highway speed with the visor up because the wind catches the visor and shakes it (with visor down this goes away). An unexpected benefit I've discovered is that when riding in the rain this wind shear down the front of my visor blows the rain drops off and keeps my vision clear as if I had wipers.

In summary....unless you are very short, the Vstream is a PARTIAL solution to wind protection. It is good compromise between looks and protection. By contrast the Rifle shield provides TOTAL protection but in my opinion it just does not look as good as the Vstream. The clear Vstream really looks kind of sexy on the 9

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have the Vstream Touring clear, I've adjusted it high on the forks and bent the bottom brackets such that I managed to get the shield 7.5" above the tach (as high as I have been able to get it so far).

I'm 5' 11" and this puts the wind right at the top of my forehead.
Much Like I have mentioned. With the Sport shield as the OP is inquiring, if you are fairly tall (over 5'10" as Chip is a small guy;)) The sport shield won't work very well IMO to get the air all the way over you. If you are wanting a shield to take some of the pressure off of your chest, then the sport will work no matter your height.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In summary....unless you are very short, the Vstream is a PARTIAL solution to wind protection. It is good compromise between looks and protection. By contrast the Rifle shield provides TOTAL protection but in my opinion it just does not look as good as the Vstream. The clear Vstream really looks kind of sexy on the 9
I had a rifle on my bike when i got it and, not to offend anyone, but it looks like dodo! The vstream sports looks so good on a M109r. And if it keeps me from having to hold myself on the bike while riding then it accomplished what i'm looking for.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I had a rifle on my bike when i got it and, not to offend anyone, but it looks like dodo! The vstream sports looks so good on a M109r. And if it keeps me from having to hold myself on the bike while riding then it accomplished what i'm looking for.
I don't know about a Rifle as I have not seen it, but the VStream Sport will definitely ... "And if it keeps me from having to hold myself on the bike while riding then it accomplished what i'm looking for..."

:bigthumbsup:

Here is a pic of mine...

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i rode around with the sport for a little bit and noticed when i put my hand on the top of it all the turbulence went away. so i think that the extra couple inches of the touring might be nice. but i am 6'1 so if you are like 5'10 or shorter the sport might be what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Just a question. If you can move them up can you also move them down. That way if you bought the touring you could slide it down if you did not need the height. But you can't make a short one tall enough no matter what.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts