M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had alittle idea and put it to use. I am going on a long ride to Deadwood SD in mid June and wanted to get my VStream shield modded to raise the wind comming over the top of it. The last time I had used it was on a trip to Big Bend area in West Texas and my neck got pretty sore from the wind hitting the top half of my helmet. I had it adjusted near the top of the forks but it wasnt enougth. Im 6'1" and did not want to tuck down for 100's of miles to get away from the blast. I searched the web for a plastic's or acrylic company so I could get a piece of black or dark tinted flat sheet close to the size I needed and trim it to fit. I found [email protected] and ordereed a 12"x24" black sheet about 1/8"thick. I cut out a piece of cardboard for a pattern and it was 4inches wide and the width of the VStream. I made it to have a extra 1 1/2 inches of height above the VStream. I drilled mounting holes 2" a part and 3/4" from top edge of VStream. I found stainless allen head bolts and washers and lock nuts and rubber washers at Lowes to use to attach the added section. I took my dremel to cut and trim and grind the piece to fit. Im confident this added height will work. Have to put it on after I get my brackets back from Jerry at liquidpain and will know then. If it does all you taller riders will have an idea for a mod to your VStreams to do to save your neck muscles and helmet buffeting at speed. :doorag::p

·
Registered
758 Posts
great idea and for riders that are tall this should help!!!! I'm only 5' 10" and the 7" inch length works for me. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,524 Posts
Looks kind of like a Laminar Lip, except they mount them in front and space them off the windshield a little. The spacing is supposed to help with turbulence behind the windshield.

Good job on installing it, let us know how it works for you.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Your solution gave me another idea, have a fiberglass expert make one and paint to match the bike. It shouldn't be too hard since the windshield can be used to make the casting. It wouldn't be a full fairing, but it would work great.
I have a batwing fairing on my Vulcan nomad and boy! That is a much better long distance ride! Thanks for sharing with us!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Looks good Craig. If you test it out & don't get the results you want, I will be happy to lend you my touring shield for your trip. It works great. I am not using it at all.

Sent from my super cool iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a vstream that extra holes were drilled into it to raise it up for a tall rider. Also helmet makes a huge difference. Some helmets are designed for windsreens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts