M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am dying to start doing MODS to my bike. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago. I only have 100miles on the bike. I would like to get the Power Commander and do the Exhaust pipe Mod. But, when I go in for my 600mile service will they even work on the bike? A couple of my friends said I needed to wait until after 1000miles. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My mechanic told me that if I changed pipes, PC III and airkit, that will be no problem with warranty but if I do the JSD mod he was sceptic.
This is in Sweden though

·
Registered
532 Posts
I was going to start a new thread, but this looks like a good place to ask my question. I really want to do the stock exhaust mod, but I'm concerned about the warranty also. Has anyone that has modified their stock exhaust taken their bike in for warranty service? If so, what was the result?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Warranty covers defects in material or workmanship So mods will not effect your warranty unless you have a failure that can be proven to be directly related a mod you've made. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
898 Posts
i guess dealers may vary. i had my dragsters put on before i left the dealer, as with all the bikes i have owned in the last 15 years. I have replaced the stock exhaust on every one. i bought a 04 R* silverado and put pipes / intake / PowerCommander / rejetted so on and so forth and my dealer had no issues at all, but i did'nt blow anything up either. i am sure you would never know the true colors of the dealer until you were to actually have a significant failure...

khrome

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
There has been lawsuits in rider's favor regarding this issue. I cannot remember the name of the suit, but you may be able to find the link via search. Basically it states that the warranty company has to be able to prove that the mod was the cause of the breakdown. In other words, if you add pipes and your engine dies, they have to prove that the problem was directly related to the pipes.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I used to work for H-D and all the bikes 85% had mods and stuff but it depends on the dealer I'd ask your service dept. and see how cool they are about it and go from there. we never cared about mods especially when we installed them$$ :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Magnuson/Moss Act in a nutshell states that in order for a manufcaturer to deny a warranty claim due to aftermarket mods, they must prove that the mod was the cause, or added to the cause for failure.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Here's a bit more on the M/M Act:

FANNING FEARS
You want to upgrade your vehicle with after-market equipment, but you're worried about putting the vehicle's warranty at risk. It's no wonder. How many times have you heard someone at a dealership say that installing after-market equipment automatically voids the warranty? This common misconception has been repeated often enough to be widely believed - even though it is completely false.

Wrap-up: Dealers don't like warranty work, which pays less than normal repairs. By promoting the myth that after-market equipment automatically voids warranties, some dealers manage to avoid such low-paying work and charge the prime rate for service which is rightfully under warranty.

THE TRUTH
Most vehicle owners are not aware they are protected by federal law: the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, after-market equipment which improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly and conspicuously states that after-market equipment voids the warranty. Most states have warranty statutes, as well, which provide further protections for vehicle owners.

In other words, a dealer can't wiggle out of his legal warranty obligation merely because you install after-market equipment. To find out if any after-market equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, check the owner's manual, usually under a heading such as "What Is Not Covered." Although the language may be negative, remember your vehicle manufacturer is simply saying he does not cover the after-market products themselves. He is not saying that the products would void the vehicle warranty.

(Separately sold "extended" warranties vary and may be subject to restrictions not addressed here.)

VEHICLE DEALERS' OBLIGATIONS
Suppose your modified vehicle needs repairs while still under warranty. Without analyzing the true cause of the problem, the dealer attempts to deny warranty coverage. He made his decision simply based on the fact that you've installed after-market equipment - a convenient way to dodge low-paying warranty work.

An example of how ridiculous this can get is the man who was denied warranty coverage by a dealer on his power door locks, because he had improved his exhaust system! Sounds nuts? It really happened - because that man did not know his rights and challenge the dealer's decision.

Wrap-up: A dealer must prove - not just say - that after-market equipment caused the need for repairs before he can deny warranty coverage on that basis.

YOUR RIGHTS
Point out to the dealer the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act. Require that he explain to you how the after-market equipment caused the problem. If he can't - or his explanation sounds questionable - it is your legal right to demand he comply with the warranty.

Wrap-up: If you are still being unfairly denied warranty coverage, there is recourse. The Federal Trade Commission, which administers the Magnuson-Moss Act, monitors compliance with warranty law. Direct complaints to the FTC at (202) 326-3128

OK...here is a link to the code of the law, pretty dry reading till you actually need it.

http://www.autoanything.com/popups/moss_warranty.aspx

LG

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hollywood said:
Lion'sGate,

Thanks man. Very eloquently put. :super: :super:
...just wish I could write so well, but no, the only part of that post that's mine is the first and last sentences of text. The rest was simply a copy/paste from, if I'm remembering correctly, a Gale Banks site.

Doubt that those folks actually authored it though, it's found in several other places as well. Obviously not a copyright issue. ;)

Just glad it helped you, warranty concerns are serious business for sure. :bigthumbsup:

LG

·
Registered
532 Posts
I understand the Magnuson-Moss Act, but regarding my question, would removing parts from the stock exhaust system be considered an "aftermarket modification". Especially since the owner's manual clearly states not to make any modifications to the exhaust system.

·
Registered
363 Posts
eire1965 said:
I understand the Magnuson-Moss Act, but regarding my question, would removing parts from the stock exhaust system be considered an "aftermarket modification". Especially since the owner's manual clearly states not to make any modifications to the exhaust system.
Good point. I would consider contacting a manufacturer directly regarding this issue. If you feel their statement is unclear or flies in the face of the law, then ask that they provide you a clear and official statement of policy regarding the matter. Just as an example, you might ask if their statement against any stock exhaust modification is due to maintaining emission standards or is it directly pertaining to the M/M Act vis-Ã -vis aftermarket modifications.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, your manufacturer's warranty is serious business. I have a master's degree in international business administration that includes a couple of years of law, but I'm hardly the last word...or the first word for that matter, in advising you on the issue.

There may be someone who comes along on this board that can provide a definitive answer for you based on his/her experience/education but the probability seems slim. When in doubt I would contact the manufacturer first. If I didn't agree with their position then I'd take it to the state or federal level next.

LG

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks for the advice LG. I know however, that there a lot of guys on this board that have done the stock exhaust mod and I am wondering if any of you have actually had to take your bike back to a dealer after the fact. I know as stated in previous posts, it would probably depend on the dealer. But, I would like to kind of gauge the dealer's reaction to such a modification based on their legal rights and/or obligation to Suzuki.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Enough of this serious stuff for one afternoon. And since it's gotta be 6pm somewhere, I'm off to practice my other master's degree...margarita mixing!

See you guys poolside. ;)

LG

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a VMAX and 2 big Suzuki's and the dealers all said that all changes to the exterior do not void the warranty. Simply stated this means to me if you crack a bold and make any internal changes "BAM" your warranty is gone. NO engine, tranny, drive shaft, these can't be modified. Most of the mods that effect performance simply make changes to the fuel/air and or advance curve.......these mods IMO will only effect performance not screw up the bike engine, tranny, drive shaft and other such parts.
shift-red :doorag:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts