M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi you guys,

I live in Orlando Fla and am thinking about bringing my wife to California for a bike tour up the coast

Any suggestions on where to start in Cali and what route to take ?

Are there any websites that map out such a journey up your beautiful coastline ?

Thanks

Apollo

·
Registered
750 Posts
Re: Visitor from Florida

You can Start anywhere on highway 1. It runs along the ocean. At least for the northern part. If you start around Stinson beach and head north you will travel through the redwoods. Can't really tell you about the southern part. Hopefully someone from down south can give you some pointers. Up in the northern part there are a lot of little towns that have some amazing views of the ocean from numerous bed and breakfasts. The weather up here is getting colder at night but the days are still nice. Around 60-70 degrees, night is about 40-55degrees. Rainy season will be here soon also. Take care and ride safe.

·
Registered
679 Posts

You can start at the Mexican border and ride PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) as far up north as you want to go. If you do do the trip let me know when you will be in the Laguna Beach/ Dana Point area and maybe we can hook up.

·
Registered
532 Posts

Actually, the route to which swagfndr is referring isn't PCH all the way up from the Mexican border. In some places between the border and Laguna Niguel you'll have to ride on the I-5. But it runs close to the ocean for about 40 miles between La Jolla and San Clemente. And it also runs right through downtown San Diego.

·
Registered
414 Posts

YEP, just holler when you're close to Huntington Beach I'd be happy to ride a ways with you...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Excellent info guys,

Thanks !!!!!!

Do you all have any California pics to share ? ( or website ) Especially of that Pacific Coast Highway ? I most enjoy riding along the water.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

From San Diego take the 5 FWY and when you start seeing the ocean take PCH all the way down, or even if you stay on the 5 fwy youre gonna see some cool scenery!

·
Registered
532 Posts

Although the PCH (Hwy 1) up the coast from Laguna Beach to San Luis Obispo is very nice, IMO the best riding is between San Simeon and Big Sur, where the 1 is called the Cabrillo Hwy. There's lots of nice twisties and beautiful views. And if your interested Hurst castle is in San Simeon. It's a pretty interesting tour.

Here are a couple of websites that might give you some idea of what you would see there.

http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/2301/

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Pacific_Coast_Hwy.html

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

eire,

now thats what I'm talking about. It gets old down here in Florida with it all being so flat,

well almost all flat.

·
Registered
600 Posts

Apollo, if you do make it California, don't pass up an opportunity to visit the eastern side of the state, too. Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks in the Sierra Nevada mountains have some "nowhere else in the world" scenery and to travel through there on a motorcycle would be unforgettable. I grew up around these areas and can tell you firsthand that you won't regret it. Nothing "flat" in this neck of the woods :D :bigthumbsup:
Here are a few pictures...

Yosemite Valley from Glacier Point:

Giant Sequoia Trees (look to the bottom-right to get a size perspective):

Kings Canyon NP:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Trouble

Those pics are AWESOME !!!!!

Thanks !!!

I stared at that first one for a good long time. Imagined that God himself had carved that one. (which He did)

Thanks!!!!

Eastern part is definitely going to happen now !!!!

·
Registered
532 Posts

There truly aren't too many places in the world like California. Where else can you see beautiful beaches, majestic mountains, and even scenic deserts all in one place. California gets a lot of flack from the rest of the country because of a lot of the wierdness that goes on here, and understandably so, but once you get away from the major cities it has some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet IMO.

·
Registered
600 Posts

eire1965 said:
There truly aren't too many places in the world like California. Where else can you see beautiful beaches, majestic mountains, and even scenic deserts all in one place. California gets a lot of flack from the rest of the country because of a lot of the weirdness that goes on here, and understandably so, but once you get away from the major cities it has some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet IMO.
I agree :bigthumbsup: It IS a place of extremes (even the people :D ) You can ride from the east slope of 14,000ft+ Mt. Whitney to 200 feet below sea level in the desert at the Salton Sea in about 3 hours.

I really miss living there. From the town I grew up in - in central Cali, which is as flat as a pancake and nothing but agriculture and dairies as far as you can see - you could leave the house at 6am and be snow skiing at 10,000ft. by 9am, then leave there at 2pm and be at the beach by 5pm to watch the sun set in your swimsuit. 3 hours from the Bay Area and 2 1/2 hours from LA. Always something to do and a short drive/ride to a completely different climate - geographical, climatological and/or cultural 8)

Damn... I'm homesick now :( :joke:

Apollo... no matter where you go in California, you'll have a great time and see things you won't see anywhere else :doorag:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Trouble,

I am sure I will love it.

My friends dad once told me that if I visited California, I would never come back to Florida, so I better pack a BIG suitcase !!!

Thanks for the pics and links guys !!!

·
Registered
679 Posts

Just made the ride from San Diego up to Laguna Niguel (home). We rode I-5 North thru Miramar Ca (remember "Top Gun"?) and then up past Camp Pendleton (Marine Base right on the coast) until we got to the first exit for San Clemente and then took El Camino Real thru San Clemente and into San Juan Capistrano. It then turns into PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) and took that to Dana Point where the turnoff is for our house. We wanted to keep going but have other commitments for the rest of the day. Didn't stop for any pictures but the ride was great. I was a beautiful day (75 and sunny like everyday this time of year) and we were coming back from a fun day at the San Deigo Zoo on saturday and then a nice night in La Jolla at the Marriott there.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

swagfndr said:
Just made the ride from San Diego up to Laguna Niguel (home). We rode I-5 North thru Miramar Ca (remember "Top Gun"?) and then up past Camp Pendleton (Marine Base right on the coast) until we got to the first exit for San Clemente and then took El Camino Real thru San Clemente and into San Juan Capistrano. It then turns into PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) and took that to Dana Point where the turnoff is for our house. We wanted to keep going but have other commitments for the rest of the day. Didn't stop for any pictures but the ride was great. I was a beautiful day (75 and sunny like everyday this time of year) and we were coming back from a fun day at the San Deigo Zoo on saturday and then a nice night in La Jolla at the Marriott there.
swagfndr

I really need those pics man !!!!

How many miles was the trip ?

Apollo

My son Brandon at Daytona Beach yesterday for Biketoberfest

·
Registered
679 Posts

From our house to the San Diego zoo was about 70 miles of which all but 10 are on the freeway. You still have some breath taking views on the freeway, just not as easy to enjoy at 80+ mph. One of the Best rides in our area (IMO) is from San Juan Capistrano (Capo, to the locals), all the way up PCH to Seal Beach (on the Orange county-LA county line). It is probably a 40 mile ride each way with several 100 places to stop and hang out or take in the scenery. I ride it when ever I can (with my job I either have all day to ride or I don't get to see my bike for a week or two (I travel and work in events business).
BTW, I am thinking of bringing my bike to speedweeks next Feb. If I do maybe we can hook up and you can show me the hot spots to ride in that area. I am there for 2 weeks with 3 days off on the second week (M-T-W). I will PM when it gets closer to Feb. I will be in Homestead for the end of the NASCAR season but won't have the bike with me that week.
In the back ground of the picture of your son, is that the bridge that goes over to A-1A? We usually try to stay at either the Adams Mark or the Holiday Inn Express when we are in town.
If you make the trip to So-Cal, give me a shout would love to ride with you.

-Swagfndr-

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

swagfndr said:
From our house to the San Diego zoo was about 70 miles of which all but 10 are on the freeway. You still have some breath taking views on the freeway, just not as easy to enjoy at 80+ mph. One of the Best rides in our area (IMO) is from San Juan Capistrano (Capo, to the locals), all the way up PCH to Seal Beach (on the Orange county-LA county line). It is probably a 40 mile ride each way with several 100 places to stop and hang out or take in the scenery. I ride it when ever I can (with my job I either have all day to ride or I don't get to see my bike for a week or two (I travel and work in events business).
BTW, I am thinking of bringing my bike to speedweeks next Feb. If I do maybe we can hook up and you can show me the hot spots to ride in that area. I am there for 2 weeks with 3 days off on the second week (M-T-W). I will PM when it gets closer to Feb. I will be in Homestead for the end of the NASCAR season but won't have the bike with me that week.
In the back ground of the picture of your son, is that the bridge that goes over to A-1A? We usually try to stay at either the Adams Mark or the Holiday Inn Express when we are in town.
If you make the trip to So-Cal, give me a shout would love to ride with you.

-Swagfndr-
Swagfndr

Yes that is the A!A bridge, (check the BIketoberfest pics on the General board for lots more).
Definitely PM me before you come to town. Would love to hook up and show you around !!!

Please post pics of California !!! I really dig them.

Thanks,

Apollo

·
Registered
750 Posts
1 thing you can llok at along the coast is all the light houses, they are pretty cool to go tour.
Here are a couple from the norh.

My older daughter taking a ride.

Near Mendocino.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts