M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing intermittent violent shaking from 2nd to 1st when letting the clutch out. I have been pretty easy on this bike so far and it has only 1300 miles. All fluids are at the correct levels.

What happens is when I am slowing for a stop light, and using engine braking to help the brakes, as I am letting out the clutch (to engage 1st gear), right in the friction zone of the clutch the bike will start to shake and buck and it does not feel normal at all.

This happens between 15 and 20mph, and it is happening intermittently.

Is this a bad transmission?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't let the clutch out after downshifting from 2nd to 1st (any more). I'd rather deal with replacing pads and rotors than get bucked off of this bike :redfaced: I downshifted from 3rd to 2nd a while back and chirped the rear tire. I actually don't use first gear much now unless I'm navigating the parking area in my condo complex.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Are you downshifting into first from 20 mph? If you made a habit of downshifting to engine break from too high a speed then you might have glazed your clutch face. This is just like it sounds, a shiny hard coating forms on the face of the clutch and will alter the friction dynamics. But, since I am not an expert, and this is a semi wet clutch, I am not even sure if clutch glazing is an issue. But, it is a possibility. Stop engine breaking to a stop in first. Does the clutch engage nromally when accellerating?

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
yes, it's most likely locking up the rear tire. if you came from the sportbike realm, like me, you have to get used to these. Can't downshift at very high speed into 2nd and almost never into first. I usually engage the clutch and coast the final 50' up to a corner and downshift without releasing it. i kept locking mine for the first day or two till i taught myself.
One day while i was riding with two buds....we were on a curve, out in the country, doing about 40mph and my big clumsy foot hit the shift never and knocked it from 3rd to 2nd (which happened way too easy IMHO). locked the rear wheel and kicked the backend out to the left. i grabbed the clutch before i got too sideways, but it was tto late to keep it on the road. let me say this is not a great offroad bike! luckily there was no ditch in this area, just a lot of wet grass. it was pretty hairy there for a few seconds while i feathered the brakes trying to keep it upright. The guy behind me said i scared the sh*t outta him. He was amazed i kept it upright....frankly, so was I. Still don't know how i did.
Moral of story....engine braking bad!......... until you learn what RPMs are safe

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm surprised shifting from 2nd to 1st at 20mph you're not flying over the handlebars! Has to be rear wheel hop.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing is, I am not popping the clutch, I am smoothly letting it out. I would say I am releasing the lever in about a 3 to 4 second motion. I might have been wrong about 20mph, it might be around 10 to 15 that I am doing this.

I am not having problems shifting up through 2nd, other than what others are reporting about it sometimes staying in N.

I still don't think the bike should perform this way. It is not a normal sound/feel from the clutch.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
BlkM109r said:
yes, it's most likely locking up the rear tire. if you came from the sportbike realm, like me, you have to get used to these. Can't downshift at very high speed into 2nd and almost never into first. I usually engage the clutch and coast the final 50' up to a corner and downshift without releasing it. i kept locking mine for the first day or two till i taught myself.
One day while i was riding with two buds....we were on a curve, out in the country, doing about 40mph and my big clumsy foot hit the shift never and knocked it from 3rd to 2nd (which happened way too easy IMHO). locked the rear wheel and kicked the backend out to the left. i grabbed the clutch before i got too sideways, but it was tto late to keep it on the road. let me say this is not a great offroad bike! luckily there was no ditch in this area, just a lot of wet grass. it was pretty hairy there for a few seconds while i feathered the brakes trying to keep it upright. The guy behind me said i scared the sh*t outta him. He was amazed i kept it upright....frankly, so was I. Still don't know how i did.
Moral of story....engine braking bad!......... until you learn what RPMs are safe
I believe this is his first motorcycle, period. It sounds to me like you are trying to down shift at too high of speed. I've done it before too as I wasn't paying enough attention to speen and gear. The rear tire won't be able to get traction and will provide this hop and violent vibration from the back of the bike till the rear tire gains traction. Try just staying in second and starting in second, this is what I do most of the time, or wait to downshift into first until you are almost stopped. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, this is my first bike and I guess I did not realize this behavior from 2nd to 1st. I only have a few hours of prior bike experience and that was on a Ninja 600 which obviously did not have the torque this 109 has.

Thanks for the experiences and tips guys!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Ditto to what has been said here.

Don't even try engine braking in 1st until you are almost stopped (<5 mph). Engine braking in 2nd is also extremely tricky. After 2,000 miles, I am still locking up the rear on occasion. It doesn't matter how easy you let out the clutch.

A short-stroker like this brakes hard, and this bike brakes harder than anything else I've ever been on. Screw it. Brake pads are cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts