M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinkng about a compact video camera to mount on the beast. I've seen some names mentioned from time to time, but I haven't located a comprehensive comparison of any kind by using the search feature. I am really just beginning with this, so I would like to know the best functioning, most economical brand and where to get it. Anybody?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have been using the gopro hd and I like it a lot. You'll need editing software like sony's vegas so add another $100 to the price but the video in 1080 is perfect.

Gopro HD hero on home made stainless mount

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Here's a sample vid when I had it on a MTB and on the M109R. As rough as the trail was, the vid was still great...Wind noise is a problem though when using it on the 9, so I taped up the mic to filter out the wind...

And this is the cam mounted on the 9's bar at cruising speed of 70mph to 135 mph... for a short period anyway... thought of the :cop::cop: made me slow down...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the response, gents! Are both of these cameras in the same price category? I suppose E-bay is the best place to shop?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Get the go-pro hd. I can't give you any advice about where to get it because mine was a gift. I have friends with the regular go-pro and they are amazed at the difference in the picture quality. Go to the pics and video forum and check out some of geogiarollers videos. Also, there's a truckload of options for mounting.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
917 Posts
I buy a lot of stuff on ebay but electronics are not one of them, just my 2 cents. Good luck in finding a camera....

·
Registered
65 Posts
GoPro

Just adding a little more here. The GoPro works great! Several video modes to choose from, single pics, timer, a lot of options. Same goes for the type of mount you want. It works great. That's the GoPro Hero HD camera. You won't be disappointed. $300 at Cycle Gear. Look for their 15% discount coupon.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Just adding a little more here. The GoPro works great! Several video modes to choose from, single pics, timer, a lot of options. Same goes for the type of mount you want. It works great. That's the GoPro Hero HD camera. You won't be disappointed. $300 at Cycle Gear. Look for their 15% discount coupon.
GoPro HD has just come out with a more affordable HD camera the "HD Hero 960" and it retails for $179.99. I'd go with this one. Personally I feel that filming any higher than 720dpi is a waste (file size gets huge and you can't really see any tangible difference in the quality IMO).

http://www.goprocamera.com/products/hd-hero-960-camera.php

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, thanks for the good information, guys. I really didin't know where to begin. But I think I'm still missing something. On the Go Pro site, there is a HD Hero for $149. That's a far cry from $300. Of course they offer various packages, but reading the descriptions, I can't see any difference other than the mounting and accessory equipment. Am I right?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now that's what I call a bargain, Kev! Appears to have many of the same sapabilities as the Go Pro. Apparently you're satisfied with the quality of the videos? Thanks for the info!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts