M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Test rode a Victory Vegas 8-Ball today. I happen to be off work and had nothing else to do. Ended up at the local motorcycle shop (Strokers Dallas, Texas) and they happen to be having test rides for the Victory cycles. Almost rode the touring bike but decided to see if there are any similarities to the 9 and their closely resemble styled Vegas bike. I must say first of all, I purchased my 9 about 2 years ago and that is the only bike I know. With that sad, the Victory bike had a somewhat comfortable fit (I'm 6' about 205lbs on a good day). Instantly, the bike felt very small and easy to operate but quickly made me think I could do anything with this bike. This bike had the 240 rear tire and a 21" front tire and the turning radius from corner to corner seem to be very straight forward. As much as I wanted to like the bike, it just wasn't the 9. The transition through the gears seemed to be extremely smooth with the exception of the loud noise the transmission made when changing gears. The sale person kept repeating the fact that every 2011 model now has the large 106 engine. I'm not sure if it was the quiet stock pipes that I could not hear thus making me think I wasn't going fast but the bike just felt dog slow. This was a controlled riding experience (sale rep rode with the group), so I didn't get a chance to really jump on the bike but it just had no low-in torque. All in all, the bike had a couple of nice features (6 speed transmission, turn signal cancel, 1st gear to neutral finder (no half gear) when at a stop, and a functional information computer on the tack. Again I personally don't have a lot of experience with other bikes but here's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Exactly how I felt when I rode the hammer and vision and cross country. A local dealer out here lets you take the bikes by yourself for up to 40 minutes. I spent the most time on the Ducati Multistrada, which is quickly becoming my dream bike.

I have a 9:30 A.M. Triumph Rocket III Roadster demo this Friday, followed by a Triumph Daytona ride. I am 95% sure it is a follow the leader type event but still I am looking forward to it. I love riding other peoples bikes, I dont have nearly the concern for them that I do my own :)

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
well they're about 20-30 hp down from a 109 so it's gonna feel weak. Good looking bikes though. Your pics don't look like the 8ball though. Aren't they the blacked out, cheaper model?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well they're about 20-30 hp down from a 109 so it's gonna feel weak. Good looking bikes though. Your pics don't look like the 8ball though. Aren't they the blacked out, cheaper model?
:agree: I believe your right. Looking at the site, looks like I rode the Vegas Custom Cruisers model....

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
When I test ride, my problem is, I usually buy the 0 mile bike of what I test ride, so far, 5 bikes and two Quads. Wife says, please dont test ride anymore, LOL:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,955 Posts
I'm surprised it didn't feel like it had much torque at lower rpms. They actually outdo the 9's on torque almost to mid range. Well, mid range on the 109 and almost maxed out on them. But they do seem to have decent low end pull.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
After reading some of the recent test ride reviews of various Victoys posted in here, I'm kind of losing my desire to test ride one. I like the looks, but I think for me their lack of power compared to the 9 would make them a disappointing ride for me. I'm more looking forward to test riding thrilling machines like the new V-Max and BKing! The only thing that worries me with that is I may want one....

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
After reading some of the recent test ride reviews of various Victoys posted in here, I'm kind of losing my desire to test ride one. I like the looks, but I think for me their lack of power compared to the 9 would make them a disappointing ride for me. I'm more looking forward to test riding thrilling machines like the new V-Max and BKing! The only thing that worries me with that is I may want one....
you'll have to search out a used b-king. they only sold them in the US in 2008 and i think there's something like only 800 here, not counting ones that may have been totaled already

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I just was in a Suzuki/Kawasaki dealers shop yesterday, and he still has a new B-King on the showroom floor.
That makes 2 local dealers that still have them:dontknow:.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Nice looking bike. One thing that I like about the 9 is that the front frame area is covered and dosen't look like it was designed by "Larry's Plumbing" Also the 9 is air cooled. No more "testie toasters" for me I do not see anything that wants me to replace my 9. I paid $10,500 for mine new in 2007. What is the price of the one you tested?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
....the bike had a couple of nice features (6 speed transmission, turn signal cancel, 1st gear to neutral finder (no half gear) when at a stop, and a functional information computer on the tack.
Good honest write up. Even those nice little extras don't make up the difference between the M109R and these other cruisers.

Also the 9 is air cooled.
:doh: Say what :dontknow:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice looking bike. One thing that I like about the 9 is that the front frame area is covered and dosen't look like it was designed by "Larry's Plumbing" Also the 9 is air cooled. No more "testie toasters" for me I do not see anything that wants me to replace my 9. I paid $10,500 for mine new in 2007. What is the price of the one you tested?
I believe it retails at $14.5k. Of course they were giving out a $1k discount for testing the product but i didnt really push for too much info on the cost....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts