M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of your guys ridden or have any thoughts on the Victory Hammer. While I have no thoughts whatsoever of ever selling my 9, I have seen a very others in the class that I don't mind, including the Victory Hammer and the Triumph Thunderbird. Just wondering if any of you guys have ridden a Hammer...to get an insight into what that is like. Can't ever see myself buying a Harley...but the Hammer is something I'd look at as a 3rd or 4th bike in the garage.

- David

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
The Hammer is one of the bikes on my test ride short list. Very nice looking bike, but haven't ridden one yet...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Rode 1 before I bought the 9. IMO, the 9 handles better and, for me, had a little more leg room. The Hammer wanted to stand up more in curves.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
People I've talked to who have ridden both said the Hammer had more bottom end torque, but the 9 pulls harder in the upper RPM range.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I rode a Hammer S and was not impressed. The power isn't even close to the 109 and the riding position is closer to the vrod when I was on it. Just felt small and underpowered. I am 6'2'' 250, so for a little guy it might work out ok.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I rode a Hammer S and was not impressed. The power isn't even close to the 109 and the riding position is closer to the vrod when I was on it. Just felt small and underpowered. I am 6'2'' 250, so for a little guy it might work out ok.

I really like the color blue so had a hard time because my local Suzuki dealer is also a Victory dealer. But they are as different as night and day. Kind of similar to comparing a 6 cylinder Camaro to a Camaro SS if you ask me. They are both fun, but one is clearly much more fun. More torque in nearly every range, and more power all around. I am 6'4" 270ish and I need all the power I can get. Plus like JD said the seating/position was off for a taller guy. BTW love those wheels on the 2009 Hammer S.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
IMO it's like the bastard child of a M109 and a Harley. It's somewhere in between.

I've considered adding a Victory Cross Country to the stable. Nice bike, nice options for a bagger.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The Hammer S is one of the bikes I considered before I bought the 9. I like the styling, fat rear tire muscle cruiser looks. Its somewhere in between the M109R and the VRod to me but more expensive than our M109Rs. As far as muscle cruisers I rate them:

1. M109R
2. Rocket III
3. Hammer S
4. V-Rod Muscle

Just my opinion. Having said that theres alot more to a bike than just Dyno & Torque numbers. If that were the case we'd all me riding the new 198hp V-Max instead of M109Rs.

I like the looks of the Hammer S alot and it gives you that more "classic" American yet modern cruiser look. I wouldn't mind having one in addition to my 9 but I'd never switch from the M109R to the Hammer. And Victory motors have the sexiest jugs on the market bar none. I've always loved the looks of their V-Twin engines.

G

·
The Hammer S is one of the bikes I considered before I bought the 9. I like the styling, fat rear tire muscle cruiser looks. Its somewhere in between the M109R and the VRod to me but more expensive than our M109Rs. As far as muscle cruisers I rate them:

1. M109R
2. Rocket III
3. Hammer S
4. V-Rod Muscle

Just my opinion. Having said that theres alot more to a bike than just Dyno & Torque numbers. If that were the case we'd all me riding the new 198hp V-Max instead of M109Rs.

I like the looks of the Hammer S alot and it gives you that more "classic" American yet modern cruiser look. I wouldn't mind having one in addition to my 9 but I'd never switch from the M109R to the Hammer. And Victory motors have the sexiest jugs on the market bar none. I've always loved the looks of their V-Twin engines.
Boy I think the Night Rod looks so badass though.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Rode 1 before I bought the 9. IMO, the 9 handles better and, for me, had a little more leg room. The Hammer wanted to stand up more in curves.
:agree::agree::agree: I rode one. It felt about 80% the power of the nine. Still a very strong bike, and beautiful, but it did one to stand up all the time on any curve. My daughter's ex had one and we switched when I first got the 9. We both wanted to ride my 9. LOL

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Boy I think the Night Rod looks so badass though.
Yeah I hear ya. Its all a matter of opinion. I love blacked out bikes as well. I thought I liked the knightrod....until I sat on one. Feels like a skinny mini-bike and I'm not even a big dude. I really only like the V-Rod "muscle" versions and not any of the standard V-Rod styles, and even the muscle version feels lame compared to our M109R's. But again I like the blacked out look in general.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I test rode one a few months ago. I was worried by the "106" on the side of the motor that it would give my 9 a run for its money.... it didn't. It was underpowered. Coming off a 9 I don't think that bike will be satisfying enough in the power department. If you ride 2 up ever its terribly uncomfortable for the passenger. It looks cool and the one I test rode had a loud pipe on it though.

G

·
Yeah I hear ya. Its all a matter of opinion. I love blacked out bikes as well. I thought I liked the knightrod....until I sat on one. Feels like a skinny mini-bike and I'm not even a big dude. I really only like the V-Rod "muscle" versions and not any of the standard V-Rod styles, and even the muscle version feels lame compared to our M109R's. But again I like the blacked out look in general.
Def cramped. No doubt. Looks better than it feels. I think ours drive even better than they look!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
:agree:
:agree: The Hammer stood up in curves so badly that it made me think all wide rears would be the same! Stick with the 9. I think the Hammer stood up because of the engine height! It had more balls than my Marauder 1600 but pales in comparison to the 9!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
who cares
I'll keep it simple, I love my bike and careless what others think, period:doorag: PS, outsiders of the 9 family

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,900 Posts
I rode a 2011 Hammer last month. I have to say that the transmission was absolutely awesome! I didn't get used to the low (400o RPM) redline, but the grunt wasn't bad at all. It's no M109R, mind you, but it's a really well mannered bike that has respectable power.

The ride was pretty nice, controls easy to reach, and the clutch and brakes had good feel. It was pretty comfortable too, with decent leg room. The seating position actually felt better than the 9's. Oh, I did not feel it wanting to stand up in curves at all, I felt it carved pretty well.

Stock rear tire is the Elite 3 250.

·
Registered
516 Posts
In the looks dept. the Hammer is about the closest thing out there to the 9. It's a given that this bike would appeal to most of us as it has very similar lines and styling. I seriously considered one when I was looking but the price and performance of the 9 won me over.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts