M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I think I have a problem. At speeds around 80-85mph the bike starts vibrating to a point that it is dangerous to ride. But when the speed reaches ~95mph the vibrations start to get lower and lower.

After some reading in this forum I started to think that I have the well known clutch problem, and even asked about the Bluey fix in a different thread, but thanks to the guys in the forum I was pointed out that this fix is not a fix at all.

Also since the problem occurs only at highway speeds I think it is not the clutch. The vibrations seem to come from the rear of the bike at least I feel it that way.
I've checked the tire pressure - it is OK. Also both wheels front and rear are balanced. The valve clearances are in the norm.

I have experience only with Moto Guzzi and based on that I think maybe that kind of vibrations could be from a failed bearing in the driveshaft area?

Anyways, do you guys have an Idea where to look?

Thank you.

EDIT: Excuse my bad English.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for your replay.
Yes it looks exactly if the wheels are not balanced, but I have my own wheel balancer and they are OK.
That's why I am thinking about the driveshaft since it is another rotating part at the rear, but before I start disassembling I would like to hear some opinions from the forum.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
What year is your bike, what mods have you recently done, and have you replaced your motor mounts yet

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hello,

I think I have a problem. At speeds around 80-85mph the bike starts vibrating to a point that it is dangerous to ride. But when the speed reaches ~95mph the vibrations start to get lower and lower.

After some reading in this forum I started to think that I have the well known clutch problem, and even asked about the Bluey fix in a different thread, but thanks to the guys in the forum I was pointed out that this fix is not a fix at all.

Also since the problem occurs only at highway speeds I think it is not the clutch. The vibrations seem to come from the rear of the bike at least I feel it that way.
I've checked the tire pressure - it is OK. Also both wheels front and rear are balanced. The valve clearances are in the norm.

I have experience only with Moto Guzzi and based on that I think maybe that kind of vibrations could be from a failed bearing in the driveshaft area?

Anyways, do you guys have an Idea where to look?

Thank you.

EDIT: Excuse my bad English.
A vibration during specific speeds is definitely a problem that shouldn't be ignored and u need to find out what it is. Could be wheel balance , driveshaft balance , engine problem , mounts , bearing or just a loose nut/bolt somewhere etc etc . Unfortunately trouble shooting a bad vibration can be a long time consuming and torcherous procedure but one that needs to be done. Good Luck and don't stop looking until u find it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have never had a broken belt on a motorcycle tire but I have had a number on car tires and they almost always vibrated at a curtain speed and would smooth out a little faster.

The above mentioned items are always a possibility as well.

The motor mounts are known to go bad.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Scorp, same guy that does the ecu flash. After installing his mounts there is no vibrations even between 3500-4000 RPM's that were there from the Factory. Look at the lower engine side covers on the left (clutch) side. The gap between the covers should be the exact same from top to bottom, if there is any variance what so ever then the mounts are shot. Mine were toast at 6,000 miles

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Scorp, same guy that does the ecu flash. After installing his mounts there is no vibrations even between 3500-4000 RPM's that were there from the Factory. Look at the lower engine side covers on the left (clutch) side. The gap between the covers should be the exact same from top to bottom, if there is any variance what so ever then the mounts are shot. Mine were toast at 6,000 miles

Clutch peddle side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Vegas Meet May 17-24, 2017! Let's bet on a great time!
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321882

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Zactly

·
Registered
504 Posts
That is exactly the issue I had with my BKing, even the same speeds you mention, but it was coming through the handlebars. I have my tires mounted and balanced at the same place every time I change them. When I replaced my tires, the vibration went away. Not sure if it was the tire or possibly a bad balance job when the tires were installed.

May make sense to have your tires balanced somewhere else just to prove/disprove that your tire balancer is calibrated.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Huh, specifically lower front

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Oops, yup. Dang auto correct

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Huh, specifically lower front

Okay, in the diagram thats A left and right, and I should get new mounting nuts as they are self locking , one time use, as it says at the top of the page. Wow! Hubby won't like that job, I asked him years ago, he said no bloody way, lol if he takes that clutch out again because of that tube nut or if I can get a new clutch, maybe I can get in a new set of mounts for the front.

Found a video for the mounts, looks easy enough, we were at that point last year, dam, wish I had those mounts. Can we do this job with the pipes on, and clutch assembled?

Im at 55,430km! Lots of vibration, at every speed! Feels like a real monster!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Sorry, pipes have to come off, as well as the right side foot peg mount. There is also a small frame section on the lower right. All work can be done while on the side stand

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Sorry, pipes have to come off, as well as the right side foot peg mount. There is also a small frame section on the lower right. All work can be done while on the side stand

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170322/d6d2c096831cb0bea4b6343e7adcda1a.jpg[/IMG
Also a good time to drain and flush the radiator

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170322/d6d2c096831cb0bea4b6343e7adcda1a.jpg[/IMG
Also a good time to drain and flush the radiator

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Awe yes, we're on the right track with that, and the brake fluid flush/bleed as well. I better make sure I get all the parts, so far I need new mounting nuts. I got all the fluids already, Need scorps bushings, I need his contact info. I'll try and pm him. I guess I need to read that manual more to get ready for the rest. Getting the vibrations under control is my goal as well. Then when all else fails I'm getting the 2011 clutch upgrade for my 2006.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Vegas Meet May 17-24, 2017! Let's bet on a great time!
[URL]http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321882[/URL]

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,577 Posts
I did not have to take the pipes off when I replaced front motor mounts, if that is what you are talking about. ???:dontknow:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts