M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My C109R has developed a high speed powertrain vibration at 70mph plus in high gear. It is not related to rpm as I took it up 60mph in second & very smooth at that high rpm. When you cruise at 70 & give some moderate acceleration, it feels like a "jackhammer". Anybody got any ideas on this one?:dontknow:

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,900 Posts
Start with the simplest things - look for front tire cupping.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Are you in 5th gear? The C is gear differently then most bikes and I find crusiing at highway speeds I just leave it in 4th, I usually don't drop it in to 5th until doing 85 Mph+ otherwise it just doesn't have the power to pull consistently.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vibration update

I have brand new Metzler tires & the motor mounts look OK. I always have dropped into 5th gear around 55mph & with 21,000 miles on the beast the vibration is a new issue. I do get a lot of pre-ignition under acceleration in 5th but this is due to the factory lean condition & does not cause any vibration. I will be due for service soon so I will see what the dealer has to say. Does anybody know when Suzuki recommends a valve adjustment? They checked them at 16000 miles & said no adjustment was needed.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have brand new Metzler tires & the motor mounts look OK. I always have dropped into 5th gear around 55mph & with 21,000 miles on the beast the vibration is a new issue. I do get a lot of pre-ignition under acceleration in 5th but this is due to the factory lean condition & does not cause any vibration. I will be due for service soon so I will see what the dealer has to say. Does anybody know when Suzuki recommends a valve adjustment? They checked them at 16000 miles & said no adjustment was needed.
Suzuki service schedule says to check the valves every 14,500 miles. The general consensus is that the valves will be fine on the first check. I checked mine at 15,000 miles and they were in spec but several valves were at the bottom end of the spec and will probably need adjusting at the next check (29,000 miles).

I notice the most vibration in my bike crusing in high gear and giving it a little gas. How does it seem to run in other gears? at idle? Is it as strong as it was? My bike seems to be sensitive to several things: plugs, air filters, and gas filter. At around 10,000 miles I felt like she wasn't running as good as she used to. I ended up replacing all three and she felt a lot better. I'm at 18,000 miles now and starting to get than same feeling occasionally.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
FYI

My C109R has developed a high speed powertrain vibration at 70mph plus in high gear. It is not related to rpm as I took it up 60mph in second & very smooth at that high rpm. When you cruise at 70 & give some moderate acceleration, it feels like a "jackhammer". Anybody got any ideas on this one?:dontknow:
You may want to check the motor mounts, many of us with M109's have experienced the same thing at anywhere from 14k - 25k and the mount were the cause, one other thing I notice on my M was the floaters for the front rotors get metalic in them and they bind slightly and that causes the bike to fell that "jackhammer" up to the grips.. this started on mine when I replace front pads to ebc's...I hope this helps with your problem, I can assure you its not valve adjustment or fuel...

good luck and ride safe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vibration update

Thanks for the tip on the M109 motor mounts. I will definitely check it out. That's the first I'd heard anything on them. Both the M & the C have tremendous torque & I still think that a belt drive would have been the "hot ticket". I am still running original brake pads, but since the vibes are felt on the floorboards as well as the handlebars, I think its a motor issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts