M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding a 2012 M109R 2000 miles. When ever I turn left, lean left or counter steer to make a left. Im getting a slight vibrations through out the whole bike. This happens with the clutch engaged and with the clutch disengaged. On visual inspection the bike looks fine and the tires are in great shape. The bike has a factory warranty. Any ideas of what could be causing this?

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Is it like a harmonic hum? If so, mine has done that here and there since new also, and just lately again. I think it's a front original tire tread design...just my opinion. I've never had an issue and it seems to come and go. I'm on a second set of tires now w/ 4,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Alignment?

I had a misaligned read on my ZX10 once. That was more of a uneasy/unsteady feeling though, not a vibration.

Has the bike ever been dropped?

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,887 Posts
How many miles on the bike? My first guess would be cupping on the front tire.

Edit: I see 2000 miles - if the tire was ever underinflated this could occur in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
road conditions....were you on smooth black top or gravel roads..:joke:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Sounds like uneven tread wear. It may happen when running under inflated tires. Even with proper inflation you still may get it because the damage is done. Should go away with new tires.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Sounds like uneven tread wear. It may happen when running under inflated tires. Even with proper inflation you still may get it because the damage is done. Should go away with new tires.
:agree:

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,887 Posts

Edit: I see 2000 miles - if the tire was ever underinflated this could occur in a hurry.
:agree: with myself!

:agree: with you agreeing with me!

:agree: with you agreeing with The M agreeing with me!!

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I'll just add that my tires have never been underinflated, at least according to what Suzuki calls for and I still got the same thing. The tires do cup a little and that's the cause, but I still stand by the design more than anything. My next front tire will be aftermarket, so I should know when that happens. It's nearly a year away though, because I'm not that concerned. Plus, I think the road makes a difference too...it doesn't happen all the time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would say something wrong in the driveline or setup of the bike, definitely not normal.
Especially if you only feel it turning left.
Ask the dealer to let you ride another 109 and see what you think or go to another dealer if they are uncooperative.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Take a close look at y our tire. If the tread looks like this its your tire. Run your hand over the tread. It should feel smooth. Not like you feel an edge. This was the stock duncrap that was on my Sabre. Had the same symptoms you're describing.

sent from my galaxy S3 from somewhere outside space

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I agree with the above statement. probably happend from sitting to long on dealer floor, developed a flat spot that developed into a cupped tire.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
The stock tires are notorious for cupping. Using the palm of your hand 'rub' the tread and see if you feel any edges hitting your hand. then look at the tire to see if the tread is smooth from one edge to the next. If it is lower on the back of one tread than the start of the next tread then your tire is cupped. It doesn't seem to matter if it is inflated correctly or not, they suck. Period. I have my original in the shop with 3000 miles, it is severely cupped and was not under inflated. Check that before you do anything else, it is more than likely your problem.
I agree with this statement. It didn't affect me from getting 10,000 miles from the original and I'm going to do the same with the second one. I'm familiar with the feel and it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts

:agree: I had "good looking tires" but the cupping was bad enough to sound like a sport bike was along side of me on every sweeping turn.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the exact same problem with mine (2011 09 with only 5k miles on it, never been dropped). I changed the tire to a new 160 thinking it was cupping but alas no, problem still occuring, regardless if drive engaged or not. It also seems to vibrate more on the left than the right, but both will vibrate. Any idea what else it could be guys? the alignment looks right, but how can I confirm this? Anything else that could be the problem? Engine mount, wheel bearings? Last thing I want to do is change everything but problem still remain.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts