M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in the market to purchase the 109. I've heard from a friend of mine that they seem to vibrate qquite a bit. He said the bike is definately not a long ride bike due to excessive vibrations. Any comments????? :confused:

G

·
hmmm didn't you just send me a message about this?

You must be bored. Anyway, get a test ride. Smooth. Its not a long distance mount because of the riding positon IN MY OPINION.. but I know she's gonna be an awesome semi long tour bike once A. I get the luggage deal figured out and B. handlebars/risers/cables

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
dynamos2000 said:

You must be bored. Anyway, get a test ride. Smooth. Its not a long distance mount because of the riding positon IN MY OPINION.. but I know she's gonna be an awesome semi long tour bike once A. I get the luggage deal figured out and B. handlebars/risers/cables
Mine tickles when cruising around 4000 to 4500 RPM. That being said, I'm usually more concerned with good gas mileage, so I cruise the highway in 5th gear, which stays below that RPM even up to 90 if I remember correctly.. At least at 90, I don't notice it if it's there. I find the tickling to be most noticeable when riding in 3rd or 4th gear in that 4000 to 4500 range.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
You want bad vibration ride any soild mount Harleys............yes there is vibration (not much though), but you got to remember you are talking about a 109ci v-twin..............an inline 4cyl its not.

G

·
I must really be spoiled since giving up the gravel and dirt roads on my vstrom, my initial impressions have been that the bike is very smooth .. hmmm

of course everything is relative I guess

·
Registered
112 Posts
Who the heck is the blonde? Anyway, I have taken long trips of at least 150 miles or more and have been quite comfortable. The vibration is very minimal and I wouldn't consider it a "tickle". LOL. It's more like a pleasant hum that is very tolerable and actually quite pleasant.
If you want super smooth, buy a crotch rocket. I can almost gaurantee you though this is the smoothest v-twin on the market......and the fastest......and the best looking. Man I could go on all night.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
speed28 said:
I wouldn't consider it a "tickle". LOL. It's more like a pleasant hum that is very tolerable and actually quite pleasant.
I rode for maybe 20 miles on some back country roads, leaving the bike in 3rd or 4th gear so the RPMs would stay around 4500. It tickled my arse and package... got a bit annoying after a while. Easy cure... Shift and drop the RPM to 3000 to 3500.

·
Registered
422 Posts
OYChoppa said:
I'm currently in the market to purchase the 109. I've heard from a friend of mine that they seem to vibrate qquite a bit. He said the bike is definately not a long ride bike due to excessive vibrations. Any comments????? :confused:
Mike
Much less vibration than most V twins.
Certainly lot less than a Yam Roadstar 1700 that I test rode.

·
Registered
326 Posts
LOL, I wass out on a group ride last weekend next to a Harley rider at a stop light. I looked over at his engine bouncing all over the place, looked down at mine, looked back at his and asked "Why's your engine bouncing like that , mine's not ?"

He laughed and made a comment about it falling out or something.

I have to admit that the pre-buy articles talked about the outstanding rubber mounting / insulated etc eliminating vibration. I chuckle every time I get on it around 2500-3000 and it really starts vibrating but it's all realtive. You want no vibration, go buy a inline 4 or goldwing not a V twin.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hey OYChoppa.....

I only have about 400 miles on mine......All big V twins tend to vibe. I came from sport bikes that were smooth in comparison . The only vibes that tend to get to me are my hands will numb with my thin summer riding gloves on but I just take em off the bars and give em a rest occassionally.

Hope the lil' guy is taking good care of ya.....sell that awesome ride and get a 109!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dynamos2000 said:

You must be bored. Anyway, get a test ride. Smooth. Its not a long distance mount because of the riding positon IN MY OPINION.. but I know she's gonna be an awesome semi long tour bike once A. I get the luggage deal figured out and B. handlebars/risers/cables
No offense bro, just wanted several opinions before I commit several K's on a bike. The 109 IS at the top of the list but it's always better to get some experienced opinions. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi, When I first read about "vibration", I thought something new was coming up. I don't have any bad vibration(s) but some that I would consider normal for a" thumping machine" between my legs. As I read along I see a 4000-4500 vibration observation and I agree that YES it does "thump" around there. If you really want vibration try the other manufacturers bikes. I think (no, I know)....I need another beer. JOHN

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've never really considered the vibration annoying or bad, just lets me know that my engine is pulling for me and showing me a great time :)

Stop worrying, buy the bike, and start ENJOYING HER!!!

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
dynamos2000 said:
I must really be spoiled since giving up the gravel and dirt roads on my vstrom, my initial impressions have been that the bike is very smooth .. hmmm

of course everything is relative I guess
i agree with ya.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
You wanna hear about bad vibes? Got my bike 4/06, well on friday 7/21/06 4400 miles,1st,2nd,3rd up to 4400 r's and then it happened,the ring &pinion ate it's self
and that fast 3.8 qts were on the ground. so if you have a vibration I would remove the chrome cover on the L/S and check the 4 bolts on the flange from driveshaft to the mickey mouse
housing. the dealer said, the threads were pulled right out ofthat housing.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If it was any smoother I would be in danger of going to sleep on it. The Yamaha 1100 I had as a first bike....that was vibration!!!! I love the pulse that you feel when you yank with the right wrist so I guess if that is vibration I must be having WAYYYYYYY To much fun!!!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I just did my first non-commute ride the other day. was able to get 200 miles on one tank with a little left over, 41mpg and part of that was idling for 40 minutes with a road shut down to one lane. 200 miles in that saddle and I was still ok. I have to make myself loosen my grip on the grips so my hands do not go numb but that is my fault. I would definitely take this bike on a long cruise.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts