M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else noticed a vibration develop in 1st,2nd,and 3rd gear between 3k and 4k rpms? Mine developed it right around the 650 mile mark. It got better after changing the rear end oil and the engine oil to amsoil products, but its still there. Also has anyone had a problem with the starter sticking on. That only happened once at around the 200 mile mark. Had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. I had the switch off and the key out and the starter was still turning over. I turned the bike on, rolled down the street towerds home (was at my friends house) about a block away the starter disengaged. Havent had a problem with that since, and im a month and 825 miles into ownership. Any help on either subject would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I think the vibration is normal for this bike......peak torque is at 3200 rpm. With shaft drive there is little if any "give/play" in the driveline IMHO.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Cubbysurfs said:
Anybody else noticed a vibration develop in 1st,2nd,and 3rd gear between 3k and 4k rpms?
That's what Suzuki calls their VFF (Vibrational Fun Factor). You know how the Suzi engineers love their initials.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tend to agree with you guys, but considering it wasnt there when i bought the bike, and it feels almost like a balance issue somewhere in the drivetrain, im still a little concerned. I also forgot to mention that it feels like it is originating possibly in the back end. Rear Gears? or maybe the rear wheel is out of balance? And it only happens in 1,2,and 3rd gear, not 4 or 5th. Im scratchin my head as to what it might be, but i know what it feels like. It definately feels like somethings come unbalanced. But who knows, Im probably out to lunch on this. Maybe Ill take it in just in case. This being a brand new model and all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I noticed the vibration in my bike also after the first service. Since then it's seemed to have gotten worse and it's in all gears under acceleration but while crusing it's smooth. I asked the mechanic at the dealer and he took it for a ride. Since he had never riden a 109 before he was at a lose and said he felt it was just the engine thumping. I have had harleys and a few customs with big S&S engines and have never felt a vibration like this. I too am at a lose on this subject. It's my only dislike about the 109 though.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've wondered about the vibration as well. I attributed it to this being my first shaft driven bike and I am just unfamiliar with the charateristics of all this torque! ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have taken mine back to the shop twice because of the vibration while accelerating. It seems to shake the heck out of the bike (like a spark plug not firing) they tell me it is fine, they took the rear end apart and found nothing there either. Have had many hot bikes and cars and have never had something run like this when it was running right. I love the way the bike corners, it feels like it just wants to lay down in the corners and go. I like everything else about the bike, just seems like a LOT of shake or vibration under load. Once up to speed it smooths out and is fine until you accelerate. Well just had to throw in my 2 cents. I will say my Dealer has been great about it being a priority when it comes in, he wants it right so he gets the Mechanics right on it, Thanks Glen @ Sportline

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found the same problem with my 109 this weekend after my 600 miles. I feels JUST like a bike running a drive chain way too loose and having it shaking during that RPM. I got out of the throttle a cpl times because I thought the driveshaft was going to fly apart. Its not a wheel balance issue its in the driveline ..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have owned several V-2s in my time and have been a svc tech at a multi line m/c dealer for 10 yrs. I had chased this same gremlin with a Valkyrie 2 yrs ago and found replacing the drive shaft fixed the issue.The driveshaft tested good and looked fine too.. I have a buddy with a 109R as well and his is not affected with this vibration after 1800 mi. The Suzuki dealers are not eager to delve into this issue in my area, so I will run it for now. ::)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had chased this same gremlin with a Valkyrie 2 yrs ago and found replacing the drive shaft fixed the issue.

Roadracer, not to sound stupid but are you stating that the M109R's all have bad driveshafts??

mania

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I think with shaft drive we deal with a issue of "harmonics"! When you consider that a host of separate parts of different dimensions and weights are turning at different speeds all at the same time, chances are that all the parts are not perfectly balanced. One part and I think that may be the drive shaft is most likely the culprit as it has one universal joint which by nature tend to create some minute wobble during high speed rotation and loading ( whenever your powering your bike through the gears ). Lamont had the drive shaft , housing tube and rear completely removed for the installation of the 280 tire kit. He may have noticed if there was any type of balance weight applied to the drive shaft!!! For those of you who have the factory Service Manual check out the detailed picture of the drive shaft and rear assembly on page 4-13. This is a very sophisticated assembly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cubbysurfs said:
Anybody else noticed a vibration develop in 1st,2nd,and 3rd gear between 3k and 4k rpms? Mine developed it right around the 650 mile mark. It got better after changing the rear end oil and the engine oil to amsoil products, but its still there. Also has anyone had a problem with the starter sticking on. That only happened once at around the 200 mile mark. Had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. I had the switch off and the key out and the starter was still turning over. I turned the bike on, rolled down the street towerds home (was at my friends house) about a block away the starter disengaged. Havent had a problem with that since, and im a month and 825 miles into ownership. Any help on either subject would be greatly appreciated.
I noticed the vibration in my bike also after the first service. Since then it's seemed to have gotten worse and it's in all gears under acceleration but while crusing it's smooth. I asked the mechanic at the dealer and he took it for a ride. Since he had never riden a 109 before he was at a lose and said he felt it was just the engine thumping. I have had harleys and a few customs with big S&S engines and have never felt a vibration like this. I too am at a lose on this subject. It's my only dislike about the 109 though.
Maybe you guys ar just noticing it more because of the break in period being over and you are getting on it a little more. Just a thought.

I have noticed this too but I figured it was how the bike rode.... It is a monster 1800 with a shaft drive and 120+ HP

G

·
This issue, the oil overfilling issue, and others that have popped up on this board are what makes me hold off some time on purchasing my M109R.

I would like to get mine with as little possible gremlins as possible. I want to make sure the engineers at Suzuki work out the final kinks before committing.

That is what makes this board great. Meanwhile I will loving it from afar and keep my ear to the ground for improving news...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi fellas, I'm new to this forum and I do not own a M109R yet. I have been reading thru quite a lot of the postings in hopes to quickly fix alot of the little quirks when I do get one. I remember someone saying to install the JSD mod and the vibration between 3K and 4K goes away also switching to AMSOIL helped too. Also I,ve been thinking that the vibration could be caused by harmonics created by the driveshaft. Now this is just a thought but has anyone tried to reindex the shaft by 90 deg to see if that helps. I work on helicopters and when I have a vibration caused by harmonics in a driveshaft that reindexing it helps. It doesn't get rid of it because you will always have some harmonics but if you lower the frequency then it becomes less noticeable. Just a thought. Also why would installing the JSD mod help? I can understand switching to AMSOIL but I'm not sure how the mod would help with vibration unless it has something to do with the ignition timing retard. Any and all thoughts and comments welcome. Thanks for you time.

ThunderHorse

G

·
I believe the vibration is caused by the engine and is translated to the rear end by the driveshaft during a harmonic which occurs around 3000-3600 rpms. If the vibration originated in the rear-end it would be felt at certain speeds not at the same engine rpm throughout the gear range. I have the JSD installed and the vibration is the same. After 4500 miles I am used to it. The description comparing it to a spark plug miss fire sounds like you are shifting too early with too much throttle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts