M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have yet to purchase my bike!! Sad but true. Was crotch rocket guy for 20yrs and now after 10 yr absence from riding, I have regained my senses. I knew from the moment I saw the 109 that it was the machine for me. I live in Edmonton, Alberta Canada..way way north of Montana-Alberta border. I am planning on buying my ride in the spring of 07 in WA,Seattle. Soon as the roads thaw here. The difference in price really makes the ride to the states the thing to do, as it looks like I will save bout 4000 bucks...thats allot gas for riding. Great site and I have already a ton of info that will make a well informed buyer of this bike. Thanks folks. :bigthumbsup: :2excited:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I don't know what the bike runs in Canada or Seattle but I know in Oklahoma you can get one out the door for 11,000 8) That might save you some extra money for gas. PM me if you want the info and welcome to the site bro!

·
Registered
243 Posts
:welcome: How much are the Ms in edmonchuck??? Wouldn't the steelers price it better in january up there? Mind you the Canadian peso is strong right now, it might be better to by it down here... Maybe Great falls Montana have them. It would be closer to go than Seattle...

Suzuki says there dealer is "Steves Sport Center" 406/727-8606 Anyways just a thought... Good luck finding the best bike out there...

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. The 109 is $19100.00 OTD here!! I know that since Alberta is a tax free province, I do not have to pay sales tax in WA. Does anyone know if that applies to other states south of me, say Montana or Idaho? :eek:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could not agree more..going to be an owner soon and already fell like I been riding the bike..great support here and well run site. Man is it going to be a long winter or what, I feel like a kid waiting for Santa :hot:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
BTL said:
Thanks for the input. The 109 is $19100.00 OTD here!! I know that since Alberta is a tax free province, I do not have to pay sales tax in WA. Does anyone know if that applies to other states south of me, say Montana or Idaho? :eek:
You better do some homework before you buy the bike in the states and try to just ride it home. They will stop you at the border and hit you hard with import fees, GST, etc. etc. I looked into this once for someone and it was not worth it.
Either way, :welcome:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
BTL said:
Montana doesn't charge sales tax, Idaho does (to their residents). But like I said, you gotta worry more about Canada charging you once you cross the border.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I live in Kalispell, Montana...a few hours south of you... I bought my bike in
Boise, Idaho. I was much cheaper and easier to deal with the dealer there. I lived there for 30+ years and knew of the dealer and that they did pretty well on pricing. I didn't have to pay tax on it (but they tried to charge it), Washington has hefty taxes. I don't know what their rules are there for out of state buyers. If interested in the dealer in Boise it is Carl's Cycle Sales (they have a web site) Ask for Chet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't know what is involved in buying a new bike from the US. but a used one is easier to bring across the border. A buddy brought a snowmobile across last year. He had to pay the 7% GST and a registration fee of 200.00. The snowmobile had to meet all emissions and was not to have any exhaust modifications. He had to take it to a dealer and get it certified by a mechanic. Don't know all the details but it wasn't to much of a hassle. A bike may differ in the respect that it is not an off road vehicle.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have checked this out quite thoroughly and yes I will be responsible for GST ( for those interested, thats the Good and Services Tax that is universal across Canada, at a rate of 6%) and Customs Canada charges a fee of 195.00 to cross with new veh of which motorcycles have no restricitons in Canada. :bigthumbsup: and according to my math even a conservative price of 12000US OTD will still save me thousands..thats allot of summers of fuel by wallet. Great to hear that Montana will not charge me state tax..send me number of rep dealer and I will make the connection..thanks all. 8)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I bought mine @ Cycle Barn in Smokey Point WA. Great guys. Check your oil level after you buy though. It is about 35 milis nort of Seattle on I-5. They made me promise not to tell what I paid for it but lets say it was under $11,000. You have to play the "run to the finance Mgr" game and "how much are you really able to spend" game, but stick to your guns and talk em down at least 10%. If you cave at all, or show too much eagerness, they can take Santa out of the picture
Send me a message if you want to hook up when you are down here. I live 5 miles from the Cycle Barn and know where to ride and eat some good grub.

Just read the rest of your post....sounds like you are headed to Montana...Good liuck and Cherry is right.....8.5% tax here at least.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks alot WA109 and I have not ruled out going to WA to buy a bike...after all the great ride home would be awesome. Really like the deal U got, and would like to duplicate that one! I will keep in touch. Also can be reached at [email protected]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Listening to y'all talk about not paying sales tax make me a bit jealous.  I had to pay sales tax and now I have to pay personal property taxes every year I have its registered until it gets below a certain value.  :( I wish they would just get rid of the  :edit: PPT its been promised for some time.  :verymad:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Welcome, good luck with your purchase....and get yourself some good reading material, I rememeber how long those winters were when I lived in Bozeman MT and you are considerably farther north... But boy do you have beautiful country up there...If I didn't have a Cajun wife who didn't like winter I would move back in an instance. Welcome again. What color you shooting for???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts