M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our riding group is going on a ride this weekend that we wanted to go on. But my bike is in the shop. So I decided to rent a bike for the weekend, I eventually would like to get a Wing but the only place that rents bikes around me is a Harley dealer. So I rented an Electra Glide Classic. I wanted to try a big touring bike. BOY was I dissapointed, this thing is way underpowered, and shakes like a crazy, I keep thinking the bike is about to die everytime I slow to a stop.
So far the only thing I can say good about this bike is I like the radio and cruise control. My daughter likes the big passenger seat and back rest.
I made a decision today, that I would NEVER buy a Harley. I can't wait to get my bike back.

·
Registered
198 Posts
i like to compare it to running a tiller...

spread out handlebars and hard to control, plus vibrating made only for heavy industrial equipment... like a jackhammer...

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I agree. We rented a HD bagger in Vegas a few years ago. I felt like I was sitting in a vibrating kitchen chair, albeit I"m 6'5", so there was no room for me to stretch out. The wife loves the ride though. Leaning back on the tourbox, huge back seat, just soaking up the sun and the sights. I'd like to try a Glodwing or maybe a Yamaha Venture next time.

-Josh

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Shake it up baby!

why do the H-Ds shake so dam bad. is it the nature of the motor or how its mounted in there?:dontknow:
A better question might be, "how did Suzuki make a v-twin with bigger pistons run so smooth?" Better design. Counter rotating balance shafts, overhead cams, 4 valves per piston.
All the old bikes used to vibrate like crazy. Harley and Moto Guzzi still do, but most have gone to modern designs that are smooth, and produce more power.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I pulled up next to a guy at a light on a HD bagger the other day and couldn't believe how badly that thing shook at idle! It looked like the front wheel and everything on the handlebars was going to shake right off the bike. I just don't get the whole Harley thing. :dontknow:

·
Registered
547 Posts
I pulled up next to a guy at a light on a HD bagger the other day and couldn't believe how badly that thing shook at idle! It looked like the front wheel and everything on the handlebars was going to shake right off the bike. I just don't get the whole Harley thing. :dontknow:
hehehe Now we know why the women on the back love them so much. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
A better question might be, "how did Suzuki make a v-twin with bigger pistons run so smooth?" Better design. Counter rotating balance shafts, overhead cams, 4 valves per piston.
All the old bikes used to vibrate like crazy. Harley and Moto Guzzi still do, but most have gone to modern designs that are smooth, and produce more power.
A better design would mean they would lose that patented Harley sound.:joke:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
HD has 2 basic big motors.

The one on the touring bikes is not counterbalanced, the one on the bigger non-touring models, Fatboy, Soft Tail... are counterbalanced.

The non counterbalance motor are rubber mounted, meaning they are mounted to the bike on big rubber bushings to isolate the frame from the motors movement.

At an idle, this principal works poorly, but at speed, it works out quite well.

It's a 'classic' design and appeals to the nostalgia the the HD crowd likes.

:dontknow:, It just is what it is.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Single crank pin makes them shake. It also gives them that unique sound. I rented a Street Glide in Vegas earlier this year. It was overall a nice bike with a lot of nice features but the shaking at idle annoyed the f out of me. It didn't feel like it was worth twice what my bike cost. :D

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update

Went on our ride yesterday, and I still think this bike is underpowered. One thing this bike has that our nines could benefit from would be a 6th gear. It's a good ride on the freeway.
One of these days I will get a Wing in my stable for those long cruises, but until them I will stick with my 9. I should have her back next week.

·
Registered
300 Posts
the 9 definately a 6spd trans and cruise control, imo that would make this bike the best without any doubt! and if your woman wants to feel the rumble feeling go to viberider .com she might thank you for it

·
Registered
843 Posts
Didnt HD fix the vibrating syndrome when they made the Vrod???? I dont understand tho this situation, HD is known to underperform and they are waaaay over priced. Why does so many HD riders feel and those that want to be a biker feel that you aint riding unless you are ridind a Harley?
I took my brother to see the 9 at the dealer, as a rider of the 9 myself I was excited to walk around the showroom looking at the bikes. Thinking my brother would feel the same appreciation of the beast I told him so you are going to buy it right? He look at me like he lost his family dog and said I wont buy a Jap bike. I almost fell to the floor, but I gathered myself and ask him what bike do you feel would beat the 9, and why dont he like the m109r? First he tells me it has to much chrome, second the gas tank is to big, and it just dont look like a true bikers bike. Now I am really wondering what type of bike this dude is going to buy. So we leave the suzuki dealer and go up the road to HD. When we entered the store the HD guys came and was showing my brother the world, he was smiling ear to ear. I followed behind very caustiously making sure they didnt try to brain wash me to join their cult. He found the bike that he said was better than our 9's fellas. Can you guess what it was???? Noooo not the Vrod and even that bike doesnt compare to the 9, he bought the Iron 883, with the russian helmet and a skull and cross bone bandana. I look at all the salesman and my brother and back up slowly to leave the store, I just realized I was in the twilight zone.:eek:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Didnt HD fix the vibrating syndrome when they made the Vrod???? I dont understand tho this situation, HD is known to underperform and they are waaaay over priced. Why does so many HD riders feel and those that want to be a biker feel that you aint riding unless you are ridind a Harley?
I took my brother to see the 9 at the dealer, as a rider of the 9 myself I was excited to walk around the showroom looking at the bikes. Thinking my brother would feel the same appreciation of the beast I told him so you are going to buy it right? He look at me like he lost his family dog and said I wont buy a Jap bike. I almost fell to the floor, but I gathered myself and ask him what bike do you feel would beat the 9, and why dont he like the m109r? First he tells me it has to much chrome, second the gas tank is to big, and it just dont look like a true bikers bike. Now I am really wondering what type of bike this dude is going to buy. So we leave the suzuki dealer and go up the road to HD. When we entered the store the HD guys came and was showing my brother the world, he was smiling ear to ear. I followed behind very caustiously making sure they didnt try to brain wash me to join their cult. He found the bike that he said was better than our 9's fellas. Can you guess what it was???? Noooo not the Vrod and even that bike doesnt compare to the 9, he bought the Iron 883, with the russian helmet and a skull and cross bone bandana. I look at all the salesman and my brother and back up slowly to leave the store, I just realized I was in the twilight zone.:eek:
LOL, that is some funny stuff right there...Don't know what some people could be thinking, sorry your bro made the wrong choice...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts