M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...just got these and am real excited about putting them on. Anyone got a walk through on the instructions posted please let me know. Or any issues I should know of ahead of time, how hard are they to install?...I've done my searches of the forums already.
thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, so I just get too excited and jump on the forum right away;). took a while to get the search words right to get what I needed, Spent most of night sifting through info on the exhaust stuff.

Just to be clear though...this is what I do
1/ remove stock exhaust with set valve attached
2/ get rid of servo motor, actuator etc., since I'm not supposed to be needing this.
3/ don't bother installing new cam or servo motor bracket that came with exhaust.
4/ disconnect pin #7 to get rid of fi light.

anything I missed :dontknow:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sounds like you have the basics. Make sure you use the proper torque settings... 16.5 foot/lbs and do not overtighten.

I also recommend some antisieze, last time I removed my exhaust about 1/4 inch of one of the bolts had threads filled with aluminum... that is part of the threads were stripped in the head. I had to helicoil one of the holes in my first bike which was a pain in the ass.

I would get a bunch of masking tape to put in vulnerable places on the pipe. In particular near the head, near the footpeg, and where the two front pipes come together. Also recommend having an assistant to prevent banging up the pipes. Probably a good idea to remove the footpeg/brake pedal assembly altogether.

I had some issues with my VPs leaking on mine between front and rear pipes. Some people had success pounding the can onto the front pipes with a 2x4. I would be carefull with that approach though... the black ring is plastic. I ended getting some muffler putty and sealing it up as best I could.

I have another set on the way after recent wreck, so I will be swapping them out again soon.

They are great pipes... enjoy. :congrats:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts