M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone heard of Vee Rubber? they have a tire model called the monster. ive ran through 2 260/40/18 metz and needed something to hold up to more constant torque due to pulling a trailer for 4000 miles at a time. the monster comes in a 260/35/18 offering a larger "foot" print and more even wear. this tire wholesales for $120. similar to the Metz. but due to their company size they offer it around $200 retail.
heres a link for a dealer but their prices are WAY too high but its some good pics. chime in if you know anything.

http://www.itascathunder.com/vrbr/tire.htm

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
cool tire pattern, looks great

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i work at a toyota store in KC and we see some of those type tires come in on cars and they are nothing but trouble. broken belts, weird wear. i would stay away from them if you could. i know there cheap, but why are they cheap??

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm all for saving a few $$ when ever I can but I think the LAST thing I'd want to skimp on would be tires. I'd go with a WELL tried and trusted brand. I don't wanna be a guinea pig for a new brand of tires. I just upgraded to the 260/160 Metz combo and I couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would like to know where your buying a metzler for $120.00 for the rear of this bike....dont know if your talking about the 880 series but I never saw that tire for that cheap of a price....

·
Registered
137 Posts
I see it sells for $253.00 not $120.00...right inline with the Metz....I agree go with a reputable tire not an off brand....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would like to know where your buying a metzler for $120.00 for the rear of this bike....dont know if your talking about the 880 series but I never saw that tire for that cheap of a price....
$120 is wholesale price.
the 880 wholesales for that much. have you never checked in to see how much your dealer is marking up your tires? you should....

i agree about not being a test dummy but these tires are OEM on honda and kawasaki in europe. Dunlap has the US contract. so how bad could they be? cant get worse than the 3500miles i got out of the stocker.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for anyone still wondering or wanting to know.... i got the tire and got it mounted. the tire has a 10" width with 11.5" counting the curve of the tire. with a different size (260/35/18) and side wall angle there is at least 4" of rubber on the road at all times. thats what i was looking for. the tire has plenty of room and fits the wheel just like the Metz did but due to the increased width i had to pull the diff to get it in the swing arm. cant be any more labor intensive than cutting holes in an air cleaner or gutting mufflers. pulling trailers on 4,000 mile trips with tell the tale sooner or later. but even if you arent leaving the city limits just the looks alone beats the Metz. ill post up some picks later.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see it sells for $253.00 not $120.00...right inline with the Metz....I agree go with a reputable tire not an off brand....
that link was only for the pics they offered. i paid about $190 for my last 2 Metz. beating that by just paying $163 for the monster. sounds like you enjoy over paying.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Avon calling?

I recently put the Avon Cobra AV72, in 240/40/18, on the 9, and I contacted a guy named Shaun at Avon of North America for questions about pressures, etc. He told me that Avon has no application for the M109R, and that I would have wear and/or cupping issues with this tire. I know several guys have used this "misapplied" tire, so I am asking if anyone has had problems with it. I personally love the thing- great grip and easier to lean into the turns. BTW- no hijack intended here, as lots of choices have been mentioned.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no worries.
sounds like you were talking to a parts guy who couldnt find it listed in the book so it "must" be wrong.

I recently put the Avon Cobra AV72, in 240/40/18, on the 9, and I contacted a guy named Shaun at Avon of North America for questions about pressures, etc. He told me that Avon has no application for the M109R, and that I would have wear and/or cupping issues with this tire. I know several guys have used this "misapplied" tire, so I am asking if anyone has had problems with it. I personally love the thing- great grip and easier to lean into the turns. BTW- no hijack intended here, as lots of choices have been mentioned.

G

·
I have the 250. My Cobra heads are almost completely worn off the edges. Only problem I have with this tire is - it LETS me ride HARD. :)

G

·
has anyone heard of Vee Rubber? they have a tire model called the monster. ive ran through 2 260/40/18 metz and needed something to hold up to more constant torque due to pulling a trailer for 4000 miles at a time. the monster comes in a 260/35/18 offering a larger "foot" print and more even wear. this tire wholesales for $120. similar to the Metz. but due to their company size they offer it around $200 retail.
heres a link for a dealer but their prices are WAY too high but its some good pics. chime in if you know anything.

http://www.itascathunder.com/vrbr/tire.htm
Absolutely no mention of speed rating. Care to send a pic of the sidewall??

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
That is the tire I just got ( Avon Cobra, but got the 250 40 ) have not got it installed but have read great things about it on here is why I got it. says last longer than the metz and handles better than the E3... will see.... :doorag:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts