M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I've search the board on this one and have seen alot of posts on possibilities but no definate solutions. Here's the scenario,

Riding in traffic at slow speeds, bike getting warm, when I get ready to punch it, she chokes, coughs, spits and sputters and won't take the fuel. Quick recovery is to throttle back before she dies and that works but from that point she won't pull 2k rpm.

Home remedies so far; changed stations where I buy gas, changed brands of gas and changed stations again, same thing. Oh and yes, I'm running Hi test fuel, always have.

Road side remedy; pull over (without getting killed) and vent her by removing the gas cap giving her a gulp of fresh air, fire her up and she runs fine.

Checks;
I have checked all fluid levels and they are in normal operating range.
I have checked battery cables even though they don't relate to roadside remedy
Fuel level has ranged from 3/4s of a tank to 1/4 of a tank when this has occured

My personal feeling is some form of a vapor lock but question is why now? She has 31k miles on her and I have never experienced this, not once and I've ridden in the heat during bumper to bumper traffic many many times. Roadside remedy cures it but this problem almost cost me my life the other day when a cager riding my a$% almost rolled over me when she choked so it can't be a long term solution.

So there you have it, surely someone out there has experienced this and has identified the problem and a solution.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Sounds like you need a new fuel filter. Filter is located inside the tank. Not a hard job at all. Filter is a little pricey but will cure your problem.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Sounds like you need a new fuel filter. Filter is located inside the tank. Not a hard job at all. Filter is a little pricey but will cure your problem.
Replace the fuel filter you have all those miles on it and you did not mention you ever replaced the filter pull the tank not hard to do pull the fuel pump assembly out and replace the filter

·
Registered
461 Posts
This sounds like it might be heat related. Do you have a fuel management system installed? Guessing here, maybe the fan came on the same time you throttled up causing a double demand on the engine?:dontknow: FI light?

·
Registered
461 Posts
After reading the symptoms again, I would check the TPS or the STP for a problem. Maybe some seafoam may help.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,951 Posts
If popping the gas cap off and venting the tank fixes the problem, it sure sounds like a gas cap problem. Does the cap have vacuum on it when you pull it off?

I agree if you've ran it that many miles without changing the fuel filter it probably needs that too.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Fuel Filter

·
Registered
349 Posts
Not sure if this bike has a tank vent on it, does it have a breather pipe from the tank, ? i have had this before on other bikes, when the tank breather pipe blocks up, and the tank creates a vacumn it has caused those types of symptoms, just a thought, i would also agree with the gas cap been blocked / faulty

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,951 Posts
Not sure if this bike has a tank vent on it, does it have a breather pipe from the tank, ? i have had this before on other bikes, when the tank breather pipe blocks up, and the tank creates a vacumn it has caused those types of symptoms, just a thought, i would also agree with the gas cap been blocked / faulty
It vents through the cap itself, except on California models. They vent through a vapor collection canister and have a sealed gas cap. European and Australian bikes may have those too, but I'm not sure.

I noticed the cap gets kind of grungy underneath from the fuel vapors and it could be eventually it would build up enough to clog the vents.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Never updated this post with the final solution. The problem, it was the fuel filter, changed it out and haven't had a problem since ( knock on wood ).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts