M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is only a personal opinion - others may differ! For what it is worth my input into the 300 vs 240 rear tyre setup.

I just completed 5500 km with a 300 rear tyre. I call this Vanity! Looks real good BUT the handling is not that good. You feel the handling goes off as the tyre wears to a flatter contact pattern as it ages. At slow(er) speeds it can give a wake up call as you travel over uneven surfaces - it has rather larger than usual leverage on the balance of the bike.

So, the standard 240 - I call it Sanity - may not look as good, but surely handles much better / easier.

Lastly, when the wheel needs changing it is simple to remove the 240 BUT with the 300 you strip the complete rear (swingarm). I must say I'm using a standard (but modified to take the 300) swingarm.

Any other opinions on the subject?

Regards

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Interesting take on the matter. I wouldn't know myself since I'm still running the stock 240 width. Personally when my 240 tire needs to be replaced I'm going with either the 250 or 260 tire on the same stock rim and that's about all the wider I'm intersted in going.

I rode with a guy on a M109 with 300 rear end up in the mountain twisties a month or so ago and I can assure you that the 300 rear end did not slow him down one bit. In fact I had to ride very hard myself just to stay with him in the curves. So I think it also has alot to do with how good of a rider you are and how much you can adapt to the wider rear end setup.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting take on the matter. I wouldn't know myself since I'm still running the stock 240 width. Personally when my 240 tire needs to be replaced I'm going with either the 250 or 260 tire on the same stock rim and that's about all the wider I'm intersted in going.

I rode with a guy on a M109 with 300 rear end up in the mountain twisties a month or so ago and I can assure you that the 300 rear end did not slow him down one bit. In fact I had to ride very hard myself just to stay with him in the curves. So I think it also has alot to do with how good of a rider you are and how much you can adapt to the wider rear end setup.
I forgot to say I'm 56 years old!! Ooooops!! Tell you, the tight corners you can forget about AND the 300 takes away some cornering ground clearance so you can not corner so low as with the 240.

Buddy, dont feel bad that you could not keep up - as you get older you get better!! :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please remove wheels, and tires and send straight to me. I will in return, send you my set up. PM me if interested!:joke::bigthumbsup:
I'm a bit tied up at work now..... how about later this year Hink? :)

No, I'm a Vanity man.... looks damn good but it does affect the handling BUT not to the effect that I'll PM you :p

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Please remove wheels, and tires and send straight to me. I will in return, send you my set up. PM me if interested!:joke::bigthumbsup:
LMAO!

I forgot to say I'm 56 years old!! Ooooops!! Tell you, the tight corners you can forget about AND the 300 takes away some cornering ground clearance so you can not corner so low as with the 240.

Buddy, dont feel bad that you could not keep up - as you get older you get better!! :)
Hey you only got 20yrs on me Pops! Your still a young man!!! :bigthumbsup:

I didn't say I couldn't keep up with him, I did. Just wasn't real easy. That boy can ride. He also has the 160 front tire as well and the air ride system...........and Nitrous. :eek:

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Sorry but you have to think of it as Silicone Implants for your 9. Yes they look great, No they don't handle as well as smaller ones. Yes they do need more work to get them out of their holders. And no you don't loan them to other members "HINK" who are jealous of there looks.:joke::joke::joke:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sorry but you have to think of it as Silicone Implants for your 9. Yes they look great, No they don't handle as well as smaller ones. Yes they do need more work to get them out of their holders. And no you don't loan them to other members "HINK" who are jealous of there looks.:joke::joke::joke:
:a20:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LMAO!

Hey you only got 20yrs on me Pops! Your still a young man!!! :bigthumbsup:

I didn't say I couldn't keep up with him, I did. Just wasn't real easy. That boy can ride. He also has the 160 front tire as well and the air ride system...........and Nitrous. :eek:
Come now! You were chasin me!! And to be honest the Nitro was never used and you know that I had to wait for you in some spots!! :redfaced:

Only pullin ya leg young man... and 20 yrs makes a hell of a difference. Older people tend to get more "gray matter" and less hair!

Ride safe!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I would have put a 280 on her anyway. But, please keep me in mind if you change your mind!:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:
If I were gonna move up from the 250 I'm with Hink...I'd just do the 280. Not that much different from the 300 but a LOT less hassle...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts