M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay i notice i know have 1800 miles on the bike and it has a slight Valve ticking sound. I wasn't sure if this was common i use to hear it just a little bit before but now it is maybe just a little louder. Doesn't sound nething major but there is some valve ticking going on. Just curious if this was normal

Also i changed my oil at 550 Miles and I check it yesterday and i notice ti was offthe full mark and about 1/2 way down the dip stick. is this common for them to use a little oil? Thanks

Danny

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
you just need louder pipes
:D

Okay i notice i know have 1800 miles on the bike and it has a slight Valve ticking sound. I wasn't sure if this was common i use to hear it just a little bit before but now it is maybe just a little louder. Doesn't sound nething major but there is some valve ticking going on. Just curious if this was normal

Also i changed my oil at 550 Miles and I check it yesterday and i notice ti was offthe full mark and about 1/2 way down the dip stick. is this common for them to use a little oil? Thanks

Danny

·
Registered
687 Posts
get use to it,

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes i do need louder pipes. and yes i figured it would be normal for the monster but just thought i would ask. Thanks

Danny

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
you should have known that you wasn't gonna to get off that easy here

it's all good bro. there is a point that you need to adjust (shim) the valves; think it's something like 7,000 or 14,000 miles
:bigthumbsup: here is a link to the service manual that you may download if you don't have one
here -Thanks to Orange Dragon for the PDF file

:clap2:

Yes i do need louder pipes. and yes i figured it would be normal for the monster but just thought i would ask. Thanks

Danny

·
Registered
461 Posts
There's a sticky post for FAQ's on the board. Check out the FAQ's for noises and oil usage. I have nearly 15k on mine and no oil use yet.

·
Radio Active Member
22,679 Posts
It could also be the injectors or the clutch basket. Pull the clutch in while in neutral and see if it gets quieter.

Mine doesn't use any oil between changes. It could be the way you are checking it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did the clutch thing it doesnt change it is valve noise. or maybe injectors. its coming from the upper end and i check the same the 15/3 and it was about half way down on the stock i added just a few drops of oil and broughti back up to the full line

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
From the top of the Hash marks to the bottom of the Hash marks is ROUGHLY 300 ml of oil... (Almost a third quart)

The 109 engine is just a noisy beast. I had the top end of my Engine torn down this weekend to replace the piston rings and I went ahead and re-shimmed the valves... they are spot on, and its still a ticky engine.

If you look at the internals though, you understand why.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
From the top of the Hash marks to the bottom of the Hash marks is ROUGHLY 300 ml of oil... (Almost a third quart)

The 109 engine is just a noisy beast. I had the top end of my Engine torn down this weekend to replace the piston rings and I went ahead and re-shimmed the valves... they are spot on, and its still a ticky engine.

If you look at the internals though, you understand why.
:agree:This man has forgotten more about this bike, than I know... Period.:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
22,679 Posts
I had the top end of my Engine torn down this weekend to replace the piston rings and I went ahead and re-shimmed the valves... they are spot on, and its still a ticky engine.
Rich, how many miles do you have on it now? I'm at 17,000+ and though it still sounds the same I'm thinking it should be close to needing the valves checked.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I've got Bassani Pro-Stock pipes on mine and I can't hear $hi+.

didn't even ride today and I still can't hear anything. :D

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Rich, how many miles do you have on it now? I'm at 17,000+ and though it still sounds the same I'm thinking it should be close to needing the valves checked.
Hey Zoom... when I checked mine at 14k they were fine...

I've got 38,000 miles on my Engine now...
BUT, I rebuilt the engine at 35,000.
Backcut Transmission
Replaced Rod and Main bearings, Gaskets / seals, etc.
Raw Performance Engine Kit -- Head porting / Polishing, Oversized Valves, performance springs, Cams, and lots of other goodies...

Unfortunately when I rebuilt the Engine we tried a little experiment with the rings that didnt work out so well, and it was using Oil... so I re-ringed it last weekend.

Now she's good as gold!
I had it at the track and it ran 11.5's @ 115mph.
Same track - stock bike ran 12.7's
Same track - my bike with my home made pipe and intake, pre engine work, ran 12.25's @ 109

So... the engine work I did picked up 7 tenths at the track over my previous setup and is 1.2 seconds faster than a stock bike on the same track, even with all of the heavy ass Chrome stuff I put on it. :evil:

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
So... the engine work I did picked up 7 tenths at the track over my previous setup and is 1.2 seconds faster than a stock bike on the same track, even with all of the heavy ass Chrome stuff I put on it. :evil:
Can't argue with those results at all... Damn...You da man Rich :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Thanks...
I gotta give the Credit to Raw Performance though... They provided the go fast stuff, I just put it together. :D

·
Radio Active Member
22,679 Posts
Rich, those are awesome numbers, some of the best if not the best I've seen. If there was a way to regear this beast you could probably hit high 10's with it. At that mph you're probably just getting into 4th at the end. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,655 Posts
Hey Zoom... when I checked mine at 14k they were fine...

I've got 38,000 miles on my Engine now...
BUT, I rebuilt the engine at 35,000.
Backcut Transmission
Replaced Rod and Main bearings, Gaskets / seals, etc.
Raw Performance Engine Kit -- Head porting / Polishing, Oversized Valves, performance springs, Cams, and lots of other goodies...

Unfortunately when I rebuilt the Engine we tried a little experiment with the rings that didnt work out so well, and it was using Oil... so I re-ringed it last weekend.

Now she's good as gold!
I had it at the track and it ran 11.5's @ 115mph.
Same track - stock bike ran 12.7's
Same track - my bike with my home made pipe and intake, pre engine work, ran 12.25's @ 109

Those are some solid numbers Rich. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You said that the bike using oil
is any dripping from the left air filter?
How much oil will you say it used in how much miles?
Take off the left air filter and see what you got!
How much miles on the bike

Danny

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Rich, those are awesome numbers, some of the best if not the best I've seen. If there was a way to regear this beast you could probably hit high 10's with it. At that mph you're probably just getting into 4th at the end. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:
Man, if we could only play with the gearing!!! :evil:

I'm done with making the 9 go fast now... I got it into the mid 11's on all motor, and I still have my Wet nitrous kit on it that I haven't messed with since the rebuild... This summer I will see if I can dial the nitrous in and SAFELY spray a 20 shot or so... see if I can hit low 11's or high 10's on the spray.

I thought Raw won't sell the parts seperate? I was told that they only do motor builds and you have to send them your motor so they can install the parts.
That is correct they wont do that... One of the benefits of being friends with the Owner, and helping them to test out different setups, is that I was doing all of my own labor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts