M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a very small oil leak from top of front cylinder on left side. No puddle under the bike, just a thin film of oil on the front left side of the cylinder facing the front of the bike. I'm assuming its the valve cover gasket that's leaking. Doesn't seem to be affecting the oil level, and bike is otherwise running fine. A while back I put in DLP's PAIR valve block-off plates to deal with the popping on decel...anyone else with those plates in develop a leak afterwards? Not sure if one could have anything to do with the other...rear cylinder seems fine and leak free. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

·
Radio Active Member
27,655 Posts
You could always put a thin film of RTV on the seal. But why not just replace the gasket?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
dv0042 can you tell me where you installed the block off plates? My 9 pops like a mofo on deceleration (I think I need a new tune on my PCIII) I would be interested in installing the plates to help with the popping until I can find someone willing to tune my 9. Nobody around my area will touch it since it dosen't say HD on the tank.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
dv0042 can you tell me where you installed the block off plates? My 9 pops like a mofo on deceleration (I think I need a new tune on my PCIII) I would be interested in installing the plates to help with the popping until I can find someone willing to tune my 9. Nobody around my area will touch it since it dosen't say HD on the tank.
This should guide you through it:

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96869&highlight=PAIR+valve+block+step

You have to take off the tank and airbox. Once inside, on top of each cylinder you'll see the PAIR valve with wires attached. It's got the big yellow "X" in the photo in the link above. Two bolts holding each one in...just unscrew 'em, pop the PAIR valve off and put the plate in it's place and bolt the whole mess back in. Takes 10 minutes. Biggest problem can be getting the airbox back on top of the throttle body. Took me forever, it's a tight fit in there. That part aside, it's an easy job. Hope that helps.

BTW...thank you for wearing that uniform and the sacrifices that come with it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could always put a thin film of RTV on the seal. But why not just replace the gasket?
New gasket is the plan, just have to order one...I was just curious if there was any connection between the blocked PAIR valve and subsequent oil leak, that's all.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
2 marbles will work and be a lot faster. I bought the plates but saw a member post about using 2 marbles and did that instead. Have done 2 friends since then and have not had any problems, that was over 2 years ago. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
This should guide you through it:

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96869&highlight=PAIR+valve+block+step

You have to take off the tank and airbox. Once inside, on top of each cylinder you'll see the PAIR valve with wires attached. It's got the big yellow "X" in the photo in the link above. Two bolts holding each one in...just unscrew 'em, pop the PAIR valve off and put the plate in it's place and bolt the whole mess back in. Takes 10 minutes. Biggest problem can be getting the airbox back on top of the throttle body. Took me forever, it's a tight fit in there. That part aside, it's an easy job. Hope that helps.

BTW...thank you for wearing that uniform and the sacrifices that come with it!
Thanks for the info, I couldn't get block off to show anything recent in the search. I think I am gonna go the marble route, if that dosen't work then I will get the plates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts