M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone hit the magic 14.5k yet for the valve check/adjustment? just wondering if you did them yourself or had the dealer do them about how many were out of spec like needed adjusting. the check itself will require lots of stuff off the bike but if all 8 are in spec then it goes back together. If they are out then you gotta use the chart in the service manual and figure out the correct shim size then pull the cams to get to them. My "other" bike uses the same shims so I am ok there. You can get a shim starter kit from lots of places or if your lucky the dealer will let you swap straight across the board.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh well, I guess no one has had it done or done it. still looks to be the hardest part is getting all the parts out of the way to get to the valve covers. pulling the cams is not all that bad just take your time and use the service manual. my curiousity was just how many valves were out of spec and needed a shim swap and how many were ok. usually on the first go around it needs most adjusted from past experience but after that there might be a time or two when it just needs the clearances checked but no adjustments.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I am pushing up on 10,000 miles now and interested in this topic...

Wonder how bad the stealer will want to rape me on doing this? :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tell you what, I am off after this 12 hour shift is over and I will call a local stealer to get a quote. I hope the idiots are smarter than the first dealer I talked to before I bought the bike. I asked them if the 109 had shims, rockers or hydraulically adjusted valves and they swore they were self adjusting hydraulic tappets! :( I will post a price when I get it. I have the book (manual) and the shims so I will be doing it myself but I am curious what they will charge. Getting the cams out and back in is not that hard providing you follow the book very close and get the timing marks all lined up. The part that is going to be labor intensive as far as time is stripping the bike down to that point.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I think the only person on the board that is even close to the 14.5K mark is Hal. Last I heard he was close to 12, but he's probably got more by now. That being said, he's had his engine built, so his valves should have been properly shimmed when they put it back together. :dontknow:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
steve j said:
tell you what, I am off after this 12 hour shift is over and I will call a local stealer to get a quote. I hope the idiots are smarter than the first dealer I talked to before I bought the bike. I asked them if the 109 had shims, rockers or hydraulically adjusted valves and they swore they were self adjusting hydraulic tappets! :( I will post a price when I get it. I have the book (manual) and the shims so I will be doing it myself but I am curious what they will charge. Getting the cams out and back in is not that hard providing you follow the book very close and get the timing marks all lined up. The part that is going to be labor intensive as far as time is stripping the bike down to that point.
Look forward to hearing what you get back from them.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I have never done the valve's before, but I plan on doing them on my 109 when the time comes. I have a service manual, and I'll figure it out.
Hopefully someone else has done it by then, and I can learn a few things before hand.
I really have two reasons for doing it myself. One I enjoy that stuff, and two I would be willing to put money down, that the dealer doesn't do it right. I do not trust them even a little bit.
I was in an accident August 1st on my 109. (I'm fine). They have been dicking around with getting parts and stuff ever since. They just called me yesterday to tell me it will be ready This Tuesday. I've seen it a few times since, and I already know there are issues with it.
I will never leave my 109 at the dealer ever again. Not even for a wash.. :verymad:

G

·
I stopped at my dealer to schedule a service appt I am 4200 miles and I have a maintenance contract for mine and the service writer said that they will need the bike for and extra hour to adjust the valves. It will be interesting if that is what they do or if the service writer was wrong.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
raw_taz said:
I stopped at my dealer to schedule a service appt I am 4200 miles and I have a maintenance contract for mine and the service writer said that they will need the bike for and extra hour to adjust the valves. It will be interesting if that is what they do or if the service writer was wrong.
Why would they be adjusting the valves at 4200 miles? :dontknow:

G

·
Medic1210 said:
Why would they be adjusting the valves at 4200 miles? :dontknow:
Not sure, I do not have a service manual and have not looked in the owners manual, it is just what the service writer said.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
raw_taz said:
Not sure, I do not have a service manual and have not looked in the owners manual, it is just what the service writer said.
Yeah, the manual doesn't say the valves need to be checked until 14,500 miles or 48 months. Hope they aren't charging you extra for doing it.

G

·
Medic1210 said:
Yeah, the manual doesn't say the valves need to be checked until 14,500 miles or 48 months. Hope they aren't charging you extra for doing it.
Thanks, Service writers are like Salesman rectal cranial inversion syndrome.

I paid a flat rate for 3 years of maintenance. So I will bring it up when I take it in next week.

TAZ

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
raw_taz said:
Thanks, Service writers are like Salesman rectal cranial inversion syndrome.

I paid a flat rate for 3 years of maintenance. So I will bring it up when I take it in next week.

TAZ
that and the engine needs to be stone cold to do this so it will need to be there overnight or else it will need to be trucked there. it's always been this way on this type valve adjustment setup, over night no running to get the clearances right. the big labor is really going to be stripping the 109 down to get to the valve covers, I know since changing the plugs over to CR10EK's. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts