M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to M109Riders and have a question for the forum. I have a week old M109 and have 200 miles on the bike. My question is has anyone else experienced what sounds like valve chatter while riding their 109. I have been riding motorcycles for some time and I don't think that this is normal. The oil level is fine, so I know that the bike has enough oil in the motor.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That is chain lash in the valve train - when the self adjuster gets to the next notch it will quiet down.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My dealer told me to be prepared for this. Mine seems loud, but not overly loud. He told me he has had coplaints about the loud "valve" noise, but that it is normal for these to sound a little loud. I have a warranty so in 6 months or so I'll re-evaluate and if it seems like a problem, I'll bring it in.

·
Registered
817 Posts
When you CAN'T hear the valves (especially on a Suzuki), THAT'S when you should start worrying. It would mean they are too tight. Too tight is much worse than too loose.

In other words, totally normal. But if you really don't like the sound, louder pipes will fix that. :doorag:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Wanted said:
When you CAN'T hear the valves (especially on a Suzuki), THAT'S when you should start worrying. It would mean they are too tight. Too tight is much worse than too loose.

In other words, totally normal. But if you really don't like the sound, louder pipes will fix that. :doorag:
Your absolutely right about hearing the valves. Much better to have them noisy and know your not cooking them!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yep, I've learned more here than the dealer probably knows about this bike. It really felt like this was just another hot item they got sell, but no one there really seemed like they knew all that much in detail. It is really good to know I can come here to get the skinny.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
:) :) :)It just hit me.....if the 109 is new for us......it's just as new for the dealers and mechanics. I doubt any dealership can attest to sending any of their "wrencher's" to a Suzuki sponsored clinic/school for their newest creation. With the 109 so new and such a real departure from previous Suzuki models I truly think everyone is "winging it", literally learning on the fly about this machine. Whatever the designers intended for the correct maintenance of this machine, it still is a mystery to all. I, for one, am thankful for the "collective brain power" of the 109 board members for some very creative thinking and problem solving that's been accomplished to date. I think a tip of the hat to all is in order :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
535 Posts
I think I'm losing it...

When sitting at idle, my sewing machine sounds like it's ticking along at a semi slow rate on the left side of the bike, but on the right side, it ticks along twice as fast. More confusion ::)

·
Registered
154 Posts
The 4 cams are chain driven and as the chain stretches it will loosen up and make a sound similar to an old hydraulic lifter thats out of adjustment. This seems to occur in the first 1000 miles. When it reaches a certain point the automatic tensioner will take up the slack and the noise will diminish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts