M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys can someone explain to me why the M109R went with a 54 degree V-Twin while all the others chose to stay with a 45 Degree V-Twin I mean is there power diference or more reliability whats the go????

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Xhiler8r said:
Ok guys can someone explain to me why the M109R went with a 54 degree V-Twin while all the others chose to stay with a 45 Degree V-Twin I mean is there power diference or more reliability whats the go????
Which "all the others" are you referring to?
Yamaha 1300 V-Star 2007 uses a 60 degree V-Twin design.
Yamaha Roadstar & Stratoliner use a 48 degree V-Twin design.
Vulcan 2000 is a 52 degree V-Twin design.
Vulcan 1500 is a 50 degree V-Twin design.
Victory Vegas Jackpot is a 50 degree V-Twin design.
A few of the 1800 and 1300 VTX from Honda are 52 degree V-Twin design (all of them? didn't look at all offerings).

·
Registered
686 Posts
The reports I have read said that it was to give the engine a lower profile and lower the center of gravity a bit. 54 degree spreads it out a bit and allows them to lower the overall height. But that's just from my reading as I'm still in drooling stage, yet to get the bike.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Xhiler8r said:
By "all the others", do you mean "All the Harleys?"

NEWS FLASH: I hear that other countries are manufacturing bikes now. ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry guys I should have been more clearer in all the others I was sticking with the Suzuki in the like of the C90 C50 the M50 oh and the harleys I was just curious as to why Suzuki would change things from their big cruiser range

·
Registered
51 Posts
Xhiler8r said:
Sorry guys I should have been more clearer in all the others I was sticking with the Suzuki in the like of the C90 C50 the M50 oh and the harleys I was just curious as to why Suzuki would change things from their big cruiser range
Aside from the center of gravity comment above, I think they chose a slightly wider v spread to be able to go with a big bore/short stroke design and to be able to fit, as was also said above, a straight shot intake system. Even with all that, 54degrees is still a relatively narrow angle so the engine still has a nice look to it. When are the major print mags gonna do a real test on this bike?!?!?!?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.