M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who is looking to buy a new V-strom, this bike is in his price range and I have heard some good things about it.
Does anyone here have any first hand experience with this bike?
We have been cruising Fl. looking for one and so far nobody has one on there showroom floor. So it looks like it might be an order sale, I prefer buying something I can look at.
Any feed back is welcome.

·
Registered
35 Posts
V Storm

The 650 V Storm is a great bike, unfortunately Suzuki has shipped a limited supply to the U.S. this year according to my dealer when I went to buy one. I would say if you are going to use it for commute it would be a great choice. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Very nimble, dives into corners really well (big front wheel), comfortable for a dual sport bike but is better suited for on road than off. Good for high speed dirt roads. No way can you hang with one on your 9 in the twisties

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was at the local dealer on Friday and they had 1 on display. Not a bad looking bike, but not my style either.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Very nimble, dives into corners really well (big front wheel), comfortable for a dual sport bike but is better suited for on road than off. Good for high speed dirt roads. No way can you hang with one on your 9 in the twisties
It's billed as a dual sporter, but has little off road capabilities. I've ridden one on a dirt road, and a mild "jeep trail".. didn't like it at all. and I've got 14yrs experience off-road.

and you'll have no problem keeping up with him because the roads in florida are flat and straight :)

if he wants a great dual sport bike that has massive offroad capabilities and street legal, look at the KTMs.. my favorite is the 530 EXC. they blow away all other dual sporters

or maybe the 400sm, or dr650 from zook. event honda's xr 650 is more capable than the v-strom.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
It's billed as a dual sporter, but has little off road capabilities. I've ridden one on a dirt road, and a mild "jeep trail".. didn't like it at all. and I've got 14yrs experience off-road.

and you'll have no problem keeping up with him because the roads in florida are flat and straight :)

if he wants a great dual sport bike that has massive offroad capabilities and street legal, look at the KTMs.. my favorite is the 530 EXC. they blow away all other dual sporters

or maybe the 400sm, or dr650 from zook. event honda's xr 650 is more capable than the v-strom.
I'm in total agreement with you. The KTM 530 will be my next off road ride, just awesome and street legal. Right now I've got a Honda XR 650 and it's a real dirt bike compared to the V-Strom but a pig compared to the KTM

·
Registered
140 Posts
i was all ready and set on getting one before i got my 9. I like it alot. its fast enough very agile for city streets and its excellent for road full of pot holes like here in nyc. i would go for the extra money and go for the 1000. i didnt ride it off road i was thinking more along the line of unpaved roads and pot holes. its got decend pick up. it's not near as torquey as the 9 but for city use and as a daily communter its good. craigslist or ebay always have one or two, not many. people tend to hold on to those bikes because there that good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
wee-strom

The 650 Strom is a great bike and has been around for a while. Suzuki actually sells that motor to MV Agusta for several models of bikes sold in Europe. It is a very different ride than our 109's. If your friend really wants feedback on that duo have him/her check out advriders.com and look at "wee strom" posts (there is also a DL1000 version of the Strom). 8)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He is going with the 650 for financial reasons, also needs a new bike because of the financing.
He is not interested in off road, just wants a comfortable bike to ride to the mountains once in a while and cruise around FL. He puts a bunch of miles on his bikes.
He is very picky about the ride. One dealer called him a "pea mattress princess" pretty fitting. I have suggested to him many times to find a way to fit a couch onto his bike.
Whats really funny is he thinks the 109 has a great ride, I don't mind it but I would never call it a great ride. More sporty than plush.
Thanks for the feedback
And if you think FL. is just straight and flat you need to ride around where I live. No mountains but you can't see miles in front of you either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts