M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am never going to get permission from my wife to buy a new rim and all the other stuff that goes with a 280 rear. However I might swing a larger tire. On the Metzler site it says that their 880 Marathon XXL will go on a 8.5 rim. We seem to have lots of clearance. Has anyone tried to up-size or are you planning to up-size?

If you are please let me know how it works out and if you have please let me know how it has worked out.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Gents:
The Dunlop Elite 3,  250/40-R18 will fit the 109 perfectly with no modifications. It's used on a 8.5 inch wide rim on the Victory Hammer. The tire is a full 10 inches wide. I have one on order from DirectLineParts.Com.

Check with OMEGA on this board. I believe he has already installed one and can confirm that no mods were needed.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much. I will check with him. Also I was considering the 260 and forgot to place it in my post.

Isn't the 280 that Lamonster is messing with a Marathon XXL?

G

·
The Dunlop 250 is actually wider than the Metzeler 260. I think Metzeler decided that if they couldn't make it wider that they could at least make everyone think it was wider.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Arent they both 10 inches? The Metzler shows 10.2 inches. How wide is the Dunlop?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
The Dunlop 250 is actually wider than the Metzeler 260. I think Metzeler decided that if they couldn't make it wider that they could at least make everyone think it was wider.
Hal! Your right! The Dunnie Elite 3, 250/40-R18, I believe, is a stock tire for the Victory Hammer and it looks awesome on a 8.5 inch rim.

G

·
We did a bunch of fitting of big tires on the VTX last year. Here are the actual tire widths for you to compare.

These were all mounted on 8.5 inch wide rims.

240 Metzeler on rim is 9.5 inches wide at the seam on the sidewall

250 Avon on rim is 9 5/8 inches wide at the seam on the sidewall

250 Dunlop on rim is 10 inches wide at the seam on the sidewall

260 Metzeler on rim is 9 7/8 inches wide at the seam on the sidewall

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
We did a bunch of fitting of big tires on the VTX last year. Here are the actual tire widths for you to compare.

These were all mounted on 8.5 inch wide rims.

240 Metzeler on rim is 9.5 inches wide at the seam on the sidewall

250 Avon on rim is 9 5/8 inches wide at the seam on the sidewall

250 Dunlop on rim is 10 inches wide at the seam on the sidewall

260 Metzeler on rim is 9 7/8 inches wide at the seam on the sidewall
Thanks.....that will clear up a lot of confusion! Just for clarity.....the stock Dunnie D221, 240/40-R18 is 9.5 inches wide at the sidewall seam.

·
Registered
817 Posts
bob109 said:
Gents:
The Dunlop Elite 3, 250/40-R18 will fit the 109 perfectly with no modifications. It's used on a 8.5 inch wide rim on the Victory Hammer. The tire is a full 10 inches wide. I have one on order from DirectLineParts.Com.

Check with OMEGA on this board. I believe he has already installed one and can confirm that no mods were needed.
I'd be interested in thorough and detailed observations concerning handling with wider-than-stock tires. If handling is not too adversely affected, I would consider the 250 Dunlop when this one wears out, which I'm sure will be sometime this summer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't get it.. someone told me the Elite 3 was the exact same size as what's on our bikes now. Since this is NOT the case, then will this actually change our speedo readings?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
OhioM109R said:
I don't get it.. someone told me the Elite 3 was the exact same size as what's on our bikes now. Since this is NOT the case, then will this actually change our speedo readings?
Go to the Dunlop Motorcycle tire sight on the WEB and check the specifications. Both the 240 and 250 Dunnies are almost the exact same diameter with both being 40 series tires. So close that your spedo will not be adversely effected. We already have a spedo error of approximately 6 mph. The actual difference in the tires is their mounted width, 240, 9.5 inches wide, 250, 10 inches width. width will have no effect what so ever on the spedo.

·
Registered
398 Posts
as long as the height of the tire stays the same ,the speedo reading will no be affected ,no matter how wide the tire is.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
J R said:
So what is the widest tire that wil fit the 109 with no mods ?
Well! With Lamont working on the 280 tire kit upgrade, which includes a new wider wheel and hub and some of us folks going to the Dunnie Elite 3, 250/40-R-18 ( which is a true 10 inches wide ) and fits the stock 8.5 inch wide rim and requires no mods to the swing arm, it appears the Dunnie 250 is the max for now. Hal Greenlee has reported in a post of the actual "true widths" of tires mounted on 8.5 in. rims and identifies a Metz 260/40-R18 which is truly only 9 and 7/8 inches wide. To answer your question....looks like the Dunnie!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
bob109 said:
Go to the Dunlop Motorcycle tire sight on the WEB and check the specifications. Both the 240 and 250 Dunnies are almost the exact same diameter with both being 40 series tires. So close that your spedo will not be adversely effected. We already have a spedo error of approximately 6 mph. The actual difference in the tires is their mounted width, 240, 9.5 inches wide, 250, 10 inches width. width will have no effect what so ever on the spedo.
True, but it's the SIDEWALL that matters ::). And if you don't already know, the second number is the % of the width that makes up the profile. So an additional 10mm in the width, is another .394 in the sidewall height. So please tell me how this will not effect the speedo. BTW the tires we have on our bikes are NOT listed on their web site.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
OhioM109R said:
True, but it's the SIDEWALL that matters ::). And if you don't already know, the second number is the % of the width that makes up the profile. So an additional 10mm in the width, is another .394 in the sidewall height. So please tell me how this will not effect the speedo. BTW the tires we have on our bikes are NOT listed on their web site.
Regarding the speedo.....there is a electronic sending unit that receives it's signal from the transition unit at the head of the drive shaft. Irregardless of the tire diameter, the speedo gets the signal from the sensor/sending unit and would report a speed even if the bike was on a jack with the rear tire removed! I would agree that the velocity at which the bike is actually traveling and the registered speed on the speedo could differ. The actual difference between the two tires is almost negligible. Consider that Lamont is in the process of fitting a 280/40-R18 to the rear of the 109....will that have more of a impact than the 250/40 regarding speedo accuracy! Until someone is clocked by a Trooper or has GPS to verify their actual speed, who knows???

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
bob109 said:
Regarding the spedo.....there is a electronic sending unit that receives it's signal from the transition unit at the head of the drive shaft. Irregardless of the tire diameter, the spedo gets the signal from the sensor/sending unit and would report a speed even if the bike was on a jack with the rear tire removed! I would agree that the velocity at which the bike is actually traveling and the registered speed on the spedo could differ. The actual difference between the two tires is almost negligible. Consider that Lamont is in the process of fitting a 280/40-R18 to the rear of the 109....will that have more of a impact than the 250/40 regarding spedo accuracy! Until someone is clocked by a Trooper or has GPS to verify their actual speed, who knows???
The unit with the wires on it is the speedo sensor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts