M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you tend to upshift without using the clutch? I have done this on previous bikes with no problem. I've never owned a big lugger like the M109R and I am curious if clutchless upshifts are acceptable.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
why would you want to? i imagine it would prematurly wear your clutch out quicker, like any bike. i have done it in certain situations, where you just need to make that quick shift.

:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why?  I like shifting without the clutch.  With a little practice you can make very smooth shifts with less clunking than when using the clutch.   I just thought I'd first see if any M109 riders shift this way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the visuals JR. It does feel more like F1 paddle shifting without the clutch and sounds less violent than a clutched 1st to 2nd shift.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
red1951man said:
Why? I like shifting without the clutch. With a little practice you can make very smooth shifts with less clunking than when using the clutch.  I just thought I'd first see if any M109 riders shift this way.
to each there own. with that theory i wonder why they put a clutch in the first place. happy riding. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Usually around town I use the clutch,  But when I get going on the highway or for a real quick shift when needed I do not use the clutch. :D
Can't say I have the same problem as J R. though at least not all the time. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am always up with no clutch (unless I have the bike stopped and am hunting for neutral).
Clutchless shifting results in faster shifts, smoother shifts, less wear and tear on clutch.
Now working your throttle to do it can be a lesson if you did not learn to up-shift without using the clutch from the start.

- Polartek

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
bad109 said:
i imagine it would prematurly wear your clutch out quicker

:)
Shifting without a clutch will not prematurely wear the clutch ( since there is no disengaged/reengaed of the clutch during shifting) the syncros and trans gears maybe if done wrong. The only time this style of shifting is usually used is in high RPM race type shifts , it can be done quite easly during just crusing around but requires a bit of practice to get the shifts smooth :D.......now downshifting without a clutch is a whole different story though ( on a bike that is)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i also sometimes use it during high rpm shifting. i thought it would be bad for the clutch. i used to not use the clutch on my z400 and i thought thats what led to my clutch prematurly wearing out. learn something new everyday. i'll have to do a little practicing on upshifting around town. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well my question is now answered. You can do clutchless up shifts on the M109R. :bigthumbsup: However I'm curious about JR's responce. How does one pull his underwear from his butt while riding? :D

G

·
I could not figure that one out either, but one thing is for sure. If I ever ride with JR, I am not shaking his hand. :joke: :joke:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think JR uses the left hand for those things being as the right hand is for the throttle. So a hand shake may not be too much of a concern. I would check first to see if his bike has cruise control. :joke:

G

·
Has anyone here ever looked at clutch and transmission internals after rideing or driving a vehicle that way? I was a powertrain mechanic for many years and have seen many cases that disprove the theory it won't damage anything.

Reed

·
Registered
250 Posts
oldfart said:
... I was a powertrain mechanic for many years ...
On motorcycles or cars? I do not/would not use this technique on any car I have driven and would not do it on my MC for down shifting. You can down shift without using the clutch, but you're begging for gear damage.

- Polartek

G

·
Both motorcycles and bikes. It is the same using synthetic oil in your motorcyle. It is so slick that it can cause slipage and in some cases over heating.

Reed

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ok, I'm gonna whack this hornet nest with a ball bat!! Do NOT assume that every box of gears on every type of vehicle are the same pertaining to shifting wear. Hell, heavy truck trannys are ALWAYS shifted with out clutching!! When shifting any manual tranny, what happens inside is essentially the same with all types of transmissions. First, you disconnect the cluster gear you were in from the counter-cluster now you must slow or stop the cluster gear you are shifting into so the slider will "mate" with the gear and re-connect the cluster to the counter-cluster. this process is accomplished differently with various types of tranny. Most (lighter than semi-truck) trannys use brass blocker rings to slow/stop the gear so it can engage, kinda like a brake. Now shifting these types without clutching does cause more wear but NOT significantly more---to the GEARS. However it does accelerate the wear to the sides of the shifter forks that move the slider. And the clutch?? How does it wear if you ain't USIN' it???

1 - 20 of 31 Posts