M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a K&N cone filter on order I was going to play around with on a mod like this, and I've got a Chrome Big Air on backorder. Today I got tired of waiting after some inspiration for some couplings I saw Sled playing with. So I bought these cheap import filters to do a mock up. When my K&N cone filters come in, I'll swap those on - they should fit right on the ends. And when Big Air comes in I'll change to that. Then I'll have three air comparisons. Here are some pix of the mod done today and a kudos to Sled. I was already on the verge of doing this, but had hesitated cause I wasn't sure the couplings would fit together. Today Sled demonstrated that they would, so I jumped on doing this mod just for some fun.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Re: Playing with Air while waiting on Chrome Big Air

Looks real good. :bigthumbsup:

Thanks for the great pictures, I've been toying with doing this, but was not sure what people were doing for the crankcase breather. Hows the butt dyno on this one? Can you tell a big difference?

G

·

Looks Good... How about some pics of the other side?... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

bconnally1 said:
Looks real good.  :bigthumbsup:

Thanks for the great pictures, I've been toying with doing this, but was not sure what people were doing for the crankcase breather. Hows the butt dyno on this one? Can you tell a big difference?Â
The butt dyno says HECK YEAH! I had gotten very used to wide open throttle runs. So far, I've only been at about 3/4 throttle open and it's faster than before wide open according to the buttometer. Or maybe I'm just giggling so much that I can't make an objective comparisson.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

M109R Fan said:
Looks Good... How about some pics of the other side?... :bigthumbsup:
The left side is lower due to the back angled position of the airbox snorkel tube when using the same parts as the right (pictured). There are 2" straight pvc inserts that go into the snorkel tube to allow the coupling for the store bought adapter tubes. I'm planning on putting an angled pvc on the left side to replace the straight insert into the snorkel tube. Then connect the store bought adapter tubes to that. Hopefully that will angle it back up closer to the right side. They would still be on a stagger front to back though unless I can find an angle that has a longer extension. If I do that, then I will paint that pvc black as it will then have some part that shows.

Here's a pic of the left side.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

RLS said:
Looking good :bigthumbsup: What I did was shorten the intake tubes so the whole thing is higher up. Also, you may want to use some stainless steel wire and make a bracket for the oil breathers. Here is a link to what I did.

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=4479.0
Yours looks very good. Somehow I missed your original post. I had been thinking about this for about a month. Then I saw Sledzep playing with it yesterday morning (he's using a different filter), so when I came home I just went out and bought the stuff. I used right angle chrome tubes though.

RLS - Question? How did you get the 3" diameter chrome tube to stay on the 2 1/2" rubber snorkel tube coming from the airbox?

G

·

Very nice... I look forward to seeing the modified version on the left hand side... :super:

·
Registered
568 Posts

Jazzman, The coupler I used had a sleeve included that is used to go down to the 2 1/2" size. I also shortened the tubes going to the airbox. The intake tubes have ridges going around them for strength, I cut mine back to just before those ridges. That way I was able to use the ridges for a good seal and for where the clamps go. Also, I put some small screws into the ridges thru the clamps so there is no chance of them slipping apart. :bigthumbsup:

Bob

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

jazzman said:
The left side is lower due to the back angled position of the airbox snorkel tube when using the same parts as the right (pictured). There are 2" straight pvc inserts that go into the snorkel tube to allow the coupling for the store bought adapter tubes. I'm planning on putting an angled pvc on the left side to replace the straight insert into the snorkel tube. Then connect the store bought adapter tubes to that. Hopefully that will angle it back up closer to the right side. They would still be on a stagger front to back though unless I can find an angle that has a longer extension. If I do that, then I will paint that pvc black as it will then have some part that shows.

Here's a pic of the left side.

Jazzman, it looks like a 90 degree piece on the right, but a 60 degree one on the left.
Also, check out Bottlefeds original setup. I beleive he used some extensions to make them even

Sledzep

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

sledzep01 said:
Jazzman, it looks like a 90 degree piece on the right, but a 60 degree one on the left.
Also, check out Bottlefeds original setup. I beleive he used some extensions to make them even

Sledzep
Doh! Your correct as usual Sled. I told you I finished in the dark. I hadn't even noticed and assumed it was all because the left snorkel angles a little rearward. I'll have to fix that when I play with the angled pvc.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

jazzman said:
Doh! Your correct as usual Sled. I told you I finished in the dark. I hadn't even noticed and assumed it was all because the left snorkel angles a little rearward. I'll have to fix that when I play with the angled pvc.
Check here for more stuff. On page 3 you can see the extension for the left side. It should be right there on the shelf where you bought the other stuff.

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1631.0

Sledzep

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Updated pic of extended tube on left side and corrected the angle of the tubes, left vs right. The filters are now relatively in the same position from the front of the bike and pretty well vertically aligned.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Looks damn near perfect to me. Much better than what I have done.
Here at the last minute I am rethinking everything.

I will probably either ride with the two jumbo K&N filters I have (the Dumbo look) or get the filters you have there.
I believe they are smaller. Either way I need to do something before the BBQ. Then when I get back I can cook something else up.

Sledzep

1 - 16 of 16 Posts