M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, has suzuki come out with an updated clutch hub yet that doesn't sound like the motor is about to explode? I searched but didn't really find my answer. I am up to almost 13K on my 07 and the noise is getting alot worse. At idle with the engine warm I have the usual rattle that is louder than the factory exhaust and it's starting a random tapping noise also. When running down the road I hear a tapping noise too that sounds like a collapsed lifter on a car and is loudest in 4rd gear. The dealer just denies hearing anything but it has been making this tapping noise since 500 miles and is slowly getting louder. I'm ready to just change the hub myself if there is an updated one and then take the old one to the dealer and shove it up the owners ***. So how about it, is it time to get some "assault with a clutch hub" charges?
James

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,949 Posts
There is an updated wave washer out and a couple other small internal pieces, but no new hub. So even the new ones rattle like the old as long as there is no load on it.

Speaking of that, you shouldn't hear a clutch rattle as long as the clutch is loaded, either from acceleration or deceleration. The springs are being compressed then and shouldn't rattle.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
What you need to do to get rid of the noise is the "bluey fix"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Unfortunately blue fix only lasts for a couple of thousand miles, than slowly the noise and the rest comes back.
I wander if the noise is still there on 10 and 11 models? Anybody knows?

What you need to do to get rid of the noise is the "bluey fix"

G

·
Hey guys, has suzuki come out with an updated clutch hub yet that doesn't sound like the motor is about to explode? I searched but didn't really find my answer. I am up to almost 13K on my 07 and the noise is getting alot worse. At idle with the engine warm I have the usual rattle that is louder than the factory exhaust and it's starting a random tapping noise also. When running down the road I hear a tapping noise too that sounds like a collapsed lifter on a car and is loudest in 4rd gear. The dealer just denies hearing anything but it has been making this tapping noise since 500 miles and is slowly getting louder. I'm ready to just change the hub myself if there is an updated one and then take the old one to the dealer and shove it up the owners ***. So how about it, is it time to get some "assault with a clutch hub" charges?
James
Just turned 5K on mine, can't hear much. When did all this start? Stock exhaust here too.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Same here.. Gray 08 with 10k and no noise that i can complain about..
though.. other weird symptoms which i think its clutch/tranny related..
nothing major..

G

·
Just turned 5K on mine, can't hear much. When did all this start? Stock exhaust here too.
Started with the 1st 9 to roll off the assembly line in '06.

At idle, pull in the clutch and listen close...then let the lever out. Once released, you should hear the rattling the guys above are talking about. On most 9s you can make the noise appear/disappear at will just by releasing/pulling in the clutch lever. When you pull in the clutch, the torsion springs in the hub compress and stop rattling until you let it out again, at which point they go back to vibrating. Tends to get louder over time, but is present on most bikes to a greater or lesser degree from day 1.

G

·

At idle, pull in the clutch and listen close...then let the lever out. Once released, you should hear the rattling the guys above are talking about. On most 9s you can make the noise appear/disappear at will just by releasing/pulling in the clutch lever. When you pull in the clutch, the torsion springs in the hub compress and stop rattling until you let it out again, at which point they go back to vibrating. Tends to get louder over time, but is present on most bikes to a greater or lesser degree from day 1.
This have to do then with the driven plate/wave washer issue? One in the same? First the noise, then loss of drive??

G

·
This have to do then with the driven plate/wave washer issue? One in the same? First the noise, then loss of drive??
Don't think so...the wave washer thing is supposed to address the "shudder" that some bikes get. In most cases that seems to be a dry friction plate issue. If you start up the bike and take off immediately before some oil can work its way into the clutch basket, it might grab and shake a little. If it ever happens to you, you'll know, believe me. Mine does it on cold mornings, or if the bike has been sitting for more than a few days. Once some oil works it's way between the plates, it goes away. Doesn't take more than a few up/down shifts, and it's gone. Is it a wave washer issue? Maybe, but you couldn't prove it by me...as long as I let it warm up for a minute, there's never a problem.

The "bucket of bolts" clutch rattle is not a symptom of anything in particular, or a sign of impending failure. It's just annoying, and if it's loud enough can certainly sound like the bike is about to disintegrate. Mine has been rattling for nearly 20K miles now. I did the "bluey fix" somewhere around 6K. It quieted down for a while, then gradually got louder again. It's a temporary fix at best. She's gonna need some new clutch plates eventually, and when I replace them, I might pop for a new clutch hub too, just to see if it shuts the thing up any, but as far as I'm concerned, the noise doesn't seem to affect the function of the bike at all, it's just a little embarrassing at a traffic light when the thing is rattling away as if you were shaking a mason jar full of nickles.

G

·
Don't think so...the wave washer thing is supposed to address the "shudder" that some bikes get. In most cases that seems to be a dry friction plate issue. If you start up the bike and take off immediately before some oil can work its way into the clutch basket, it might grab and shake a little. If it ever happens to you, you'll know, believe me. Mine does it on cold mornings, or if the bike has been sitting for more than a few days. Once some oil works it's way between the plates, it goes away. Doesn't take more than a few up/down shifts, and it's gone. Is it a wave washer issue? Maybe, but you couldn't prove it by me...as long as I let it warm up for a minute, there's never a problem.

The "bucket of bolts" clutch rattle is not a symptom of anything in particular, or a sign of impending failure. It's just annoying, and if it's loud enough can certainly sound like the bike is about to disintegrate. Mine has been rattling for nearly 20K miles now. I did the "bluey fix" somewhere around 6K. It quieted down for a while, then gradually got louder again. It's a temporary fix at best. She's gonna need some new clutch plates eventually, and when I replace them, I might pop for a new clutch hub too, just to see if it shuts the thing up any, but as far as I'm concerned, the noise doesn't seem to affect the function of the bike at all, it's just a little embarrassing at a traffic light when the thing is rattling away as if you were shaking a mason jar full of nickles.
Ah ok, thanks. Probably sounds like a Ducati dry clutch then. Those are supposed to give "character" to the bike. This one, not so much. :D

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,949 Posts
Ah ok, thanks. Probably sounds like a Ducati dry clutch then. Those are supposed to give "character" to the bike. This one, not so much. :D
If you're familiar with the dampening springs used on clutch plates, it's made like those. The clutch pressure plate is made in either 2 or 3 parts, and they can shift independently. There are 6 springs between the plates to absorb shock from accelerating and decelerating. The problem is the springs fit loosely in the slots in the pressure plate, and when no force is on them, they rattle. That's why the noise goes down when you pull the clutch in, the intermittent load from the engine firing pulses is taken away. As soon as you accelerate or decelerate the individual parts of the plate shift and put pressure on the springs, taking away the rattle. So they make no noise as long as there is a load on them.

The "bluey fix" is just bending the tabs down onto the springs to hold them tighter. It works for most, but the tabs eventually wear and the springs get loose again. The real fix would be to either use longer springs, or add a spacer at the end of the springs to hold them in place. There is also two different tension springs in the plate, not sure why.

Here's a picture from another post showing the springs, and you can see the tabs that some bend down. If you were to hold the hub on the outside and inside and twist it, you can move it until it contacts the springs. Or if you have it off and shake it the springs rattle.

·
Registered
264 Posts

:agree:
I have a saying "A noisy Suzuki is a happy Suzuki" I have owned several and my c50 had the clutch sound and the lifter sound, intruder had the same as well as my GSXR 750 (to a lesser degree), so I think they just make noise. My 9 makes some of these sounds, but the change tone a bit when I do my 10w40 switch for summer and then again to the 10w50 in winter...at least for a week or two each time....oh and also when I just change the oil. Get her checked at the standard intervals and take her in when you get worried. Loud pipes help you to not hear it too...just sayin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts