M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why I want to mod it.
After I tuned hand bar angle,I got balance clutch lever angle too.
But I can't ,Because it was hit my pass light button.
Suzuki modify it , New one is more light in holding force.

Before 08 model year

After 09 model year

Compare

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I noticed this while I was at the dealership. The 09's have an angled clutch lever that allows room for the flash to pass button no matter how you turn the controls. the 06-08's do not and you must be careful how you adjust the lever and controls.

G

·
You can achive the same clearence result by rotating the switch housing.

The greater leaverage provided by the longer moment arm also requires a wider range of movement to reach engagement and release points, which is sometimes a problem already. I'm not saying this mod isn't a good thing for some, but you need to asses your situation first. If you're one of those having full disengagement problems even when properly adjusted then this leaver will make that worse. Also if you have short fingers it will lengthen the finger reach to the leaver but at the same time reqiring less effort to move the leaver. Why they didn't put a hydrolic clutch on this bike is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

The greater leaverage provided by the longer moment arm also requires a wider range of movement to reach engagement and release points, which is sometimes a problem already. I'm not saying this mod isn't a good thing for some, but you need to asses your situation first. If you're one of those having full disengagement problems even when properly adjusted then this leaver will make that worse. Also if you have short fingers it will lengthen the finger reach to the leaver but at the same time reqiring less effort to move the leaver. Why they didn't put a hydrolic clutch on this bike is beyond me.
Have you seen the newer lever? Because it does the complete opposite of what you are saying. It does not lengthen the throw of the lever, it decreases it. It looks to be the same clutch lever perch. The lever is just bent in such a way to give clearance to the flash-to-pass button. After this clearance the lever flows back towards the handle bars then extends outwards. This results in the lever actually sitting perfectly flat against the grip as opposed to the previous version sitting on an angle.

Can someone with an 09 please post a picture? It is really worth 1,000 words....or more.

Pynikal,
When I tried the 09 out at the dealer it felt like the new lever gave you a more uniform pull throughout the range. It also felt slightly more ergonomical as it bent back towards the grip.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Did some digging.
2010: Picture courtesy of M109rule

Notice how the lever curls back towards the bars. Looking at the picture now a bit closer, it looks like the new lever also gives more clearance near the button then the previous lever had. Overall it may be a wash when it comes to distance away from the handle bar itself. Perhaps a quick measurement could be done. Either way, when I felt the pull of it and the ergo's, I thought it was an upgrade. Others that were with me did as well.

G

·
Have you seen the newer lever? Because it does the complete opposite of what you are saying. It does not lengthen the throw of the lever, it decreases it. It looks to be the same clutch lever perch. The lever is just bent in such a way to give clearance to the flash-to-pass button. After this clearance the lever flows back towards the handle bars then extends outwards. This results in the lever actually sitting perfectly flat against the grip as opposed to the previous version sitting on an angle.

Can someone with an 09 please post a picture? It is really worth 1,000 words....or more.

Pynikal,
When I tried the 09 out at the dealer it felt like the new lever gave you a more uniform pull throughout the range. It also felt slightly more ergonomical as it bent back towards the grip.
As shown in the OP's pictures the distance from the pivot point is greater than that of the original lever. Physics dictates that that will increase the distance of the leaver travel reqired to do the same amount of clutch rod movemt as compared to the original lever. It will make for an easier smoother clutch lever action. The added dogleg of the lever more than compensates for the added distance from the grip. therefore the overall leaver travel has to be less. That means that the clutch rod cannot move as far.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
As shown in the OP's pictures the distance from the pivot point is greater than that of the original leaver. Physics dictates that that will increase the distance of the leaver travel reqired to do the same amount of clutch rod movemt as compared to the original leaver. It will make for an easier smoother clutch leaver action. The added dogleg of the leaver more than compensates for the added distance from the grip. therefore the overall leaver travel has to be less. That means that the cluts rod cannot move as far.
Step 1 - Leave work so firewall doesn't prevent me from seeing pics
Step 2 - Perhaps revise statements based upon clear photographic evidence.

Edit: My apologies for the slight tone as I can't see the pics posted by rainey....

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
There is clearly a difference in the distance from the centerline of the bars to the outside of the lever, but I don't see clear evidence of a difference in the actual pivot point. If the pivot is in the same location, the shape of the lever can change the ergonomics, but I doubt that it changes the function. Raineys pics show both levers from a quarter top view but not full on top. The pics I see it looks as if the pivot is very close to the same location. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

The greater leaverageprovided by the longer moment arm also requires a wider range of movement to reach engagement and release points, which is sometimes a problem already.
What Rainey shows in the picture (A & B) does not show a longer moment arm. It shows a lengthened lever perch. The perpendicular distance to the force that is applied is the length of the lever, not the distance the perch sticks the lever out. You control the amount of pull-force required by where your hand is positioned on the lever.

Looking at the picture, it does look like the lever is slightly lengthened, so if your hand is always at the very end of the lever you will notice a decrease in required force. Also, your note about decreasing the amount of throw the lever will have is wholey inaccurate. What they did is change the angle at which your lever contacts the grip. Instead of having the lever contact the grip at the very outside portion of the lever, it contacts it equally.

If this change actually increases the amount of possible lever action, it doesn't mean it has any affect on the required distance for the clutch to move. It has simply given the owner a larger tolerance in which to adjust the clutch play.

Granted this is all conjecture due to the fact that noone has really measured these and measured the throw of the different levers on the bike.

EDIT: See picture C & D are the true throw of the levers. That is what should be measured. Also the two points that are now circled are the actual pivot points, not what Rainey had mentioned previously. I honestly do not believe anything had truely changed to the pivot point. The new lever and perch are thicker and due to that there is some change on how things appear, but roughly giving it the eye-measurement the pivot point does not seem to have changed distance to the spot at which the cable connects to the lever.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
if i order a new lever from the stealership for a 09, will i get the newer design lever ?

G

·
What Rainey shows in the picture (A & B) does not show a longer moment arm. It shows a lengthened lever perch. The perpendicular distance to the force that is applied is the length of the lever, not the distance the perch sticks the lever out. You control the amount of pull-force required by where your hand is positioned on the lever.

Looking at the picture, it does look like the lever is slightly lengthened, so if your hand is always at the very end of the lever you will notice a decrease in required force. Also, your note about decreasing the amount of throw the lever will have is wholey inaccurate. What they did is change the angle at which your lever contacts the grip. Instead of having the lever contact the grip at the very outside portion of the lever, it contacts it equally.

If this change actually increases the amount of possible lever action, it doesn't mean it has any affect on the required distance for the clutch to move. It has simply given the owner a larger tolerance in which to adjust the clutch play.

Granted this is all conjecture due to the fact that noone has really measured these and measured the throw of the different levers on the bike.

EDIT: See picture C & D are the true throw of the levers. That is what should be measured. Also the two points that are now circled are the actual pivot points, not what Rainey had mentioned previously. I honestly do not believe anything had truely changed to the pivot point. The new lever and perch are thicker and due to that there is some change on how things appear, but roughly giving it the eye-measurement the pivot point does not seem to have changed distance to the spot at which the cable connects to the lever.
I was refering to the length of the lever and the fact that the pivot point, as your graphics show, is now to the right of the mirror mount. therefore the moment arm is longer and must travel farther to do the same work. You can visably see that the new lever is longer.

·
Supporting Vendor
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Old and New one's pivot is different.
My clutch is very heavy, After I exchange new one.
very light , smoother clutch lever action.
I save a lot money to mod Hydraulic.

My friend's VTX 1800 F is Hydraulic clutch , mine is smoother then him now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts