M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my motorcycle license last year in July. My first bike was a Boulevard S50. I bought this bike because of its size and weight due to being a new-b to the motorcycle community. After 700 miles and too many fill up (small gas tank) I outgrown the S50. I'm getting a good trade in value and I'm considering the M90. However, I'm 5'7" and weight 198. I have a built frame due to military down time and wasting it all at the gym. Not to get big but to stay fit and pass physical tests. Many tell me I should do fine with this bike and should just man-up. After spending two days on this forum and finding some supportive information, I decided to join and hope to get the final influencing comments to making this trade.

I love the M90 style and the reviews confirm my expectation. The most valuable information is feedback from true real riders and not reviews written by company's favoring Suzuki. But I wont know until I purchase sometime this week. I decided on a couple of simple mods if I purchase this bike. I would like to debadge and debeaver the bike. However, I found the cycle house license plate bracket for an M109 but I'm not sure if it works on the M90.

Anyways, I love this website and all the information this community has provided. I'm mainly a computer guy with mechanics as my primary trait and I've posted to forums before. But this forum is much more helpful when searching for information on a foreign concept. :dontknow:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I currently own a 109, but came from a 90. I hadn't ridden a bike in a lot of years when I got my 90. I can tell you, it was a bigger adjustment going to the 109 from the 90 than it was hopping on a 90. The 90 is a great bike, and IMO a nice compromise in size. Coming off the S50, I don't think you'll have any problems with the 90. I think the key is to take your time getting used to it, treat it with respect. It really is a great bike, so my suggestion is GO FOR IT!

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'm like you minus the size and weight. (6'1" 220) I got my license July 08. First bike was a C-50. Reasons were price and engine size. I got tired of the C-50 less than a year. Good around town. SCREAMING down the freeway. I went to the 109. Love it. LOTS and LOTS of power. It's there, doesn't mean I have to use it.
If you could afford the extra cash, I'd say go for the 9. Not knocking the 90 at all.

·
Registered
89 Posts
you won't have any problems reaching the ground...the big thing will be the weight and the extra power.

As for 90 v. 109, although they look extremely similar, they feel like COMPLETELY different bikes when you sit on them. Sit on both, and see how they feel. Given your height, I'm going to guess you'll be more comfortable on the 90. I'm 5'9", and I felt like I was stretching too far on the 109.

·
Registered
838 Posts
for some reason my area does not have many 109s or 90's (never seen one in person) The dealerships around here are big with the sports bikes and the C-models. Dince July 09 I have seen maybe 5 9's. Need more riders down here

·
Registered
204 Posts
you won't have any problems reaching the ground...the big thing will be the weight and the extra power.

As for 90 v. 109, although they look extremely similar, they feel like COMPLETELY different bikes when you sit on them. Sit on both, and see how they feel. Given your height, I'm going to guess you'll be more comfortable on the 90. I'm 5'9", and I felt like I was stretching too far on the 109.
Totally agree! The 109 is a different animal entirely. Shorter riders will definitely feel more comfortable on the 90. The 109 is noticeably more stretched out.

·
Registered
370 Posts
:welcome:to the forum orly!...What ever bike you decide on.
Enjoy your riding!...;)..I have to say that the (109)is a great bike! :drool:
I also like the look's of the (90)....I have sat on the (109) at 5ft 6 120lbs.
My leg's reach perfect!:bigthumbsup:

Take Care,Ride Safe!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
342 Posts
if you have cash for a 109 you won,t regret buying one.you also won,t want to trade up next year m109r have what your looking for:':)':)':)':)'(

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am 5'7" also and I have sat on both but only ridden the 90. When I sat on the 109 with my feet on the ground I had an uncomfortable pressure point on the back of both thighs. When I was looking the 109 was $3000 more. I couldn't see paying that much more for just 300 cc more engine so I got the 90. I am glad I did because it has not failed me at all! It has more power than anyone our size needs even with a passenger. This twin cylinder engine is as responsive as the 1000 Kaw I used to have and has more top end speed.Go for the 90, you won't be disapointed just take it easy til you get used to the weight, handling and engine.
:agree::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm only 5'7" and a half! I usually round up to 5'8"! :D I went from just getting my motorcycle license for the first time in June, 2 months and 2300 miles on a M50 and then I got the M90. It's been 6,000 miles of FUN riding. The M90 has a pretty low center of gravity and the engineers / designers really did a great job - the M90 is a great handling, easy to ride motorcycle. Feels surprisingly nimble considering its 723lb heft...

Go for it! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
95 Posts
While I periodically toy with the idea of trading my M90, those thoughts dissipate every time I get out and ride. I'm 6'3" with a 34 inch inseam, and the ergos work really well for me. I don't have an issue with stretching my legs out to the footpegs, and I like the slight forward lean that I get with the handlebars as they are.

Having said that, there's been a lot of reviews in magazines and on-line that raise issues with the forward location of the footpegs and controls. I suspect some of this is that the bike handles like a sport bike, and being such, you expect that the pegs would be further back. But, reviewers do comment about some difficulty once they get rolling at highway speeds for a while -- I haven't had that, but then again, my legs make it easy.

As for height at a stop -- no problem-o. Indeed, I often stand and straddle at stop lights when I want to stretch my legs a bit. Also, slow speeds are fine with a little practice -- it's a very very user friendly vehicle, if you respect it. And spend a lot of time in parking lots early on -- get to know and love your friction zone on this bike, because with this engine, throttle/clutch interaction is a very important part of low speed control. Doesn't take too long to get it, but I strongly recommend spending some quality time on it. And, if you haven't watched/read it yet, Ride Like A Pro is a great resource on that.

My one last piece of advice: get on one, get someone to hold it as if you're riding it, and see how your feet/legs fit in a normal riding position. As you're doing so, keep in mind that you'll have wind pressure against you while you ride, and ask yourself (and your imagination) whether you see any issues with comfortably keeping in a proper position at highway speeds. If the answer is yes, it's a great bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My first bike was a 2001 savage 650. Nice bike to learn on, easy to sell. I then upgraded to a 2008 m50. Loved the bike at first, very easy to ride and plenty of power. My wife loves to ride with me and it just always seemed like i was searching for another gear. I just sold my m50 to my nephew for a great deal and am picking up my new 2009 m90 friday. I can't wait. I have read so much and looked at as much info as possible and i know I made the right choice. I too am only 5'7" and weigh around 190lbs. after sitting on the 90, it felt no different from my 50, despite the extra 200 lbs give or take. I know there is a lot more power to get used to, but it goes for anything, you learn how to use it, and you dont always need it. So whatever decision you may make, feel confident, it is a suzuki.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its done.

So I just returned from the stealership with my new M90. Traded my S50 and rode the M90 home. What an awesome short ride. So much power behind that beast. Waiting on my accessories to mod bike then Ill post pictures. Thanks to everyone that replied with information that helped seal the deal. My mind was 75% made up but I needed feedback from M90 or M109 owners. Thanks again. :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Which "stealership" in CT did you pick it up from?

·
Registered
204 Posts
So I just returned from the stealership with my new M90. Traded my S50 and rode the M90 home. What an awesome short ride. So much power behind that beast. Waiting on my accessories to mod bike then Ill post pictures. Thanks to everyone that replied with information that helped seal the deal. My mind was 75% made up but I needed feedback from M90 or M109 owners. Thanks again. :D
Well done! :bigthumbsup: You are going to LOVE that 90! It really is a great bike. Enjoy!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Congrats on the new ride:bigthumbsup:

Just had mine out today for the first ride in 4 months and it was just like riding a new bike again!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts