M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is the original kit with the taller filters.

There are two spacer bolts per side that I cut down an inch and retapped to fit. Looks cleaner but still sounds like Darth Vader. No noticable performance difference from original Ultraflow filters.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: Ultraflow Air-Kit Modified

Are those both K+N if so where did you find the kit. Wonder if you could put outer wears like on a Quad when it's raining.Â

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Crude said:
Are those both K+N if so where did you find the kit. Wonder if you could put outer wears like on a Quad when it's raining.Â
Yes both the tall and the short filters are K&N. The tall ones come with the Ultraflow Air-Kit available from Directlineparts.com or XtremeRevolution.com. The shorter filters only fit if you modifiy the kit as in the pictures of the black bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Thanks for the info , wondering what those filters are like in the rain they dont keep the rain out.? I have on my Quads a cover I think they call an outerwere, which is like a mesh cover that the rain beads off. can you get these for this style of filter. Thanks again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Crude said:
Thanks for the info , wondering what those filters are like in the rain they dont keep the rain out.? I have on my Quads a cover I think they call an outerwere, which is like a mesh cover that the rain beads off. can you get these for this style of filter. Thanks again.
I suppose you could use the rain covers on these as well. I don't worry much about rain since I live in So. Cal.

·
Registered
74 Posts

It must be nice riding all year round. My riding season is almost over , Temps just above freezing during the day and below at night . I like your intake the best of all the ones Ive seen just concerned about the rain, I'm sure the must make someting to keep the rain out just have to find it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

joet said:
so you felt no increase in performence at all?????
I said no noticable difference from original filter, not stock filter. I didn't detect any performance difference going to the shorter filter over the taller filter of the Ultraflow Air-kit. There was a noticable difference using this air-kit over stock. Lot's of cold air.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Happen to have a part number on the shorter filter?

I wonder if they make one in between the 2 in thickness, a little fatter than yours but thinner than the origional?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

OMEGA said:
Happen to have a part number on the shorter filter?

I wonder if they make one in between the 2 in thickness, a little fatter than yours but thinner than the origional?
Description
E-3321 Height: 1.75 in (44 mm) Outside Length: 7 in (178 mm) Outside Width: 4.5 in (114 mm) 7" X 4-1/2", 1-3/4"H, OVAL
E-3324 Height: 2.25 in (57 mm) Outside Length: 7 in (178 mm) Outside Width: 4.5 in (114 mm) 4-1/2" X 7", 2-1/4"H,OVAL
E-3325 Height: 2.75 in (70 mm) Outside Length: 7 in (178 mm) Outside Width: 4.5 in (114 mm) 4-1/2" X 7",2-3/4"H,OVAL
E-3341 Height: 3.25 in (83 mm) 7" X 4-1/2", 3-1/4"H,OVAL

·
Registered
74 Posts

What size are the originals , and what size did you change them to. I wonder if you could order them with the shorter filters.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Crude said:
What size are the originals , and what size did you change them to. I wonder if you could order them with the shorter filters.
originals 3325
my mod 3321
At this time they only offer the kit with the 3325's.

·
Registered
906 Posts

I like the look of the Edelbrock 1000 Series filter for the 109. The triangle shape works well with the look of the V-Twin.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Re: Ultraflow Air-Kit Modified w/PICS

If I knew how to post a pic here I could, another member emailed me a pic of the filter mod Edelbrock Pro-Flow Series 1002

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Re: Ultraflow Air-Kit Modified w/PICS

Oil Doc said:
The Mobil 1 is a good oil... You will not be sorry using it.
Just checking. Were there some comments/warnings about the additive package in Mobil 1 and some potential for clutch slippage?

I haven't used Mobil 1 but I have found some interesting differences in clutch engagement with the two synthetics I have used; which are Amsoil MC 10w40 Synthetic and the Suzuki 20w50 high performance synthetic recommended for the Hayabusa that I ran during the dead of summer (Atl, GA). The Suzuki synthetic resulted in extremely tight clutch engagement. The engagement was so tight that I wondered if it might do any damage to the clutch surface. However the off shoot was it was like free rwhp when racing. The bike just leaped forward and it was after changing to the Suzuki synthetic that I had the front wheel come off the ground about a foot the first time I hit second gear hard. That had never happened before - I've got a lot of weight on my bike as I weigh 275lbs.

I changed my oil to Amsoil MC 10w40 synthetic last weekend. The first thing I noticed is I can't get the wheel off the ground power shifting into 2nd gear anymore. The head of the bike raises, but the wheel doesn't come off the ground. There is noticeably less kick when power shifting gear to gear. And starting in first I don't have to worry about wheel hop or slip where I was getting it all the time with the Suzuki synthetic.

So now the question. Was the Suzuki synthetic locking my clutch surface up too tight? Or does the Amsoil slip the clutch surface just a tad too much? Or are they both perfectly within clutch performance limits and the answer is take your choice on how you want clutch performance?

And another thing. There was a remarkable difference in engine sound when changing between these two synthetic oils. With the Suzuki 20w50 synthetic the top end of the bike was very pronounced. Lots of mechanical top end noise. With the Amsoil the top end noise has all been taken way down and the bike doesn't sound nearly as mechanical, just the low end rumble mostly coming through.

So in the end it's pretty amazing the differences you can detect between two high quality synthetic oils.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts