M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

I know this will be a can of worms, but I feel I have to ask.

What pressures and spring preload setting do people run when riding 2-up?

I was thinking of 38 & 46 psi with the preload at 6.

I should also mention I'm running a 130 & 240 standard tyres.

Sorry, but thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Its not the best answer but I don't change the tire pressure or the
preload. The last I read an owners manual for a bike it suggested that
the preload be changed to suit the weight and comfort but to leave the
tire pressure alone. Dont know if thats the right answer.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I always look at what tire presures are supose to be in that tire as per on the side of the tire I`ve been told that pressure is where you will get the best proformane and ware out of them and i ride solo or 2 up with all the same presures and settings!! I thinkit is 42 front and 46 rear but that is just off the top of my head have it wrote down buy my air compresser!! hope this helps!!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
685 Posts
I always look at what tire presures are supose to be in that tire as per on the side of the tire I`ve been told that pressure is where you will get the best proformane and ware out of them and i ride solo or 2 up with all the same presures and settings!! I thinkit is 42 front and 46 rear but that is just off the top of my head have it wrote down buy my air compresser!! hope this helps!!:bigthumbsup:
Um, I've been taught the exact opposite. You inflate the tires per
manufacturers recomendation of the vehicle itself.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
tire pressure should be left alone and not changed regardless if riding solo or two up. the tire pressure is set by the manufacturer and is what they suggest for proper tire wear.

the shock setting can be adjusted to assist in distributing the weight of the load the bike is carrying more evenly. when you know you are going to be riding 2-up, it wouldn't hurt to bump up the shock a setting or two just to be on the safe side, especially if the bike has been lowered from stock height. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
The tire pressures in your owners manual is only applicable to the tire the bike came with. If you change brands, styles, or sizes then the pressures need to be adjusted for changes in construction and load ratings and how they relate to your riding style. Anymore the manufactures are suggesting higher pressure settings to prevent under inflation when riding 2 up. That is why they recommend the same pressures in the manual for 1 up or 2 up. They don't care about the tire wear so much as they care about litigation if a tire blows on a new bike from low air.

When in the business I saw more problems from people loading up the bike with accessories, gear and passenger and NOT adjusting the tire pressures for the added load. You most definately DO need to adjust your tire pressures to acount for the added weight of a passenger unless, You're already at a high pressure. Most manufacturers are now recommending pressures near or at the maximum tire pressures recommended on the sidewall of the tire. THAT is the holy grail. Do not excede it and do not run lower than 70 percent of it. And pay attention to the max load rating associated with that pressure on the sidewall. Most riders excede it unknowingly when packed to the gunnels and 2 up. If you need all that weight and it's more than the load rating of the 2 tires combined, you need to find higher load rated tires. If you do you'll find that the max pressure is often higher on the tires with higher load ratings. That's because the tire construction, load rating, and air pressure are all inter-dependant in providing safe opperation of the tire and long even wear.

In short yes! You should be running near or at the max air pressure on the sidewall when riding 2 up, and you need to run the suspension settings at least high enough to prevent bottoming and more if needed to improve ride quality and or handling.

I'm not shooting from the hip here I used to sell motorcycle tires for a living.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Wow, lots of long winded answers.

Recommended tire pressures are on a label under the driver's seat. Look at those numbers.

As for spring preload adjustment, I generally have mine maxed out as I haul a trailer on the weekend's and have the wife sitting behind me as well.

That is my personal preference.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I always run what the tire pressure says on the tire haven't had any problems, when I ran the tire pressure they recommended got front tire wobble @ 120mph run whats on the sidewll of the tire, be safe;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No worries.

That's for all your thoughts and opinion on the issue.

I was looking at pumping the tyres up a touch to prevent overheating and adding preload to maintain a good drive line angle - I've heard about the lowered bikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts