M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been riding cruiser's for about a year, started with a VTX1800 and now have the 109. Previous to that I road dirt bike's and enduro's on the road years ago. Over the last year I've been riding solo getting use to road riding. My wife and I went for a short ride today and what a difference two up riding is. I was afraid to accelerate and was very cautious turning, although my wife lean perfectly with the bike. I also noticed my helmet buffeting at speeds over 40MPH.

anyone with some tips that help???

·
Registered
572 Posts
Riding with a passenger, as long as they lean right and don't try and fight you... is a lot of fun :)

If she hasn't taken an MSF course, could be good so she knows the basics of riding...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just tell her to hang on and ride the best like you always do. If she likes the ride she will want moor. :D :D If she don't like it she will let you no. :verymad:Just keep riding. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
metric man said:
Ive been riding cruiser's for about a year, started with a VTX1800 and now have the 109. Previous to that I road dirt bike's and enduro's on the road years ago. Over the last year I've been riding solo getting use to road riding. My wife and I went for a short ride today and what a difference two up riding is. I was afraid to accelerate and was very cautious turning, although my wife lean perfectly with the bike. I also noticed my helmet buffeting at speeds over 40MPH.

anyone with some tips that help???
did you crank up the preload a bit? I mean, if its soft (stock setting) and she gets on and you feel the bike lower a bit, I'm thinking thats definitely not helping your handling. I had a vtx neo and I have to say that was the coolest bike to haul someone on. That tank didn't notice the extra person and I swear it handled the same.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just keep riding with her...seems like she has a clue about riding. I can't get my wife to sit up to save her life. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about; my buddy said it looked like the scene from Dumb and Dumber when they were on the scooter. She has since been banished from the passenger pillion of my 109. She's on my back enough...I don't need her making riding a chore.  :p

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm still getting up the nerve to throw the Mrs. on the back.   The last time we rode together we were a total of 80lbs lighter.   In case you are wondering it's 50/30 and that's me on top.   :redfaced:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I've been riding my wife for a couple weeks now. She's starting to feel more comfortably leaning on sharper curves. At first, I was having to fight her a bit. I honestly can't tell she's on the back when riding now as long as she leans properly. I had a little helmet buffeting today on our ride, but that was only when she was in a certain position, and not all the time. If your wife is hugging right up against you, that may be part of the reason for the buffeting though. Maybe if you can get her to not crowd you so much it will be better. This bike is very good 2 up IMHO. I have absolutely no issues with slow speed parking lot maneuvers or very slow rolling when coming to a light that has just turned green and you don't want to plant your feet waiting for the cars in front to start moving. I have only been riding since June and she is the first person I rode 2 up. I was probably more nervous the first time we went out together than she was, but I quickly realized that there was no noticeable difference in handling with her on the back.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Curious what my preload should be at... as I think it is at 4 right now, as that is factory and I haven't changed it...

I'm 295 and ride most of the time alone... sometimes the wife rides and she is 120 soaking wet...

Is 4 okay to leave it at, or should I stiffen up the springs any?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
BigBen said:
Curious what my preload should be at... as I think it is at 4 right now, as that is factory and I haven't changed it...

I'm 295 and ride most of the time alone... sometimes the wife rides and she is 120 soaking wet...

Is 4 okay to leave it at, or should I stiffen up the springs any?
Would probably be a good idea to stiffen it up a bit, but if you ride with her on the back and it feels ok, then just leave it like it is. Personally, I would take it to 5 or 6 with your combined weight. I weigh 200 and my wife 135 and I have left mine at stock 4. I don't notice any difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts