M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a few others talking about various devices they have used to listen to music while riding... and was just curious about what everyone is using...

Are you just using a regular MP3 player, such as an iPod, with regular ear buds being worn, then putting a helmet on over this...

Or are you using a custom hookup on the helmet, where the speakers are built into it, and the MP3 player is integrated...

Or what? Just curious as I have done some long rides lately, and it would be nice to have some tunes going at a low volume, where I can still hear things around me, but a little music to pass the time :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ipod shuffle with speakers in the helmet lining. I bought some regular headphones at Best Buy and pulled the speakers with wires off. Then I put the speakers in behind the helmet liner sitting in the earholes, tucked all the cord up out of sight so all that is seen is the plug. I use an extension to connect the Ipod to the helmet, that way I can disconnect the Ipod to remove my helmet without any wires dangling. I can then tuck the plug into the liner if I don't want to listen to any music, works great :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use an iriver mp3 player with sony earbuds. I wear a half helmet and although I thought the earbuds would come out they stay in with no problems.

Ed

·
Registered
584 Posts
Mental said:
Ipod shuffle with speakers in the helmet lining. I bought some regular headphones at Best Buy and pulled the speakers with wires off. Then I put the speakers in behind the helmet liner sitting in the earholes, tucked all the cord up out of sight so all that is seen is the plug. I use an extension to connect the Ipod to the helmet, that way I can disconnect the Ipod to remove my helmet without any wires dangling. I can then tuck the plug into the liner if I don't want to listen to any music, works great :D
I'd actually like to see some pictures of this setup.....sounds like it works. Later.

·
Registered
450 Posts
bought a sandisk mp3 player, about the size of a lighter. Tried it out last night for the first time, definitely need a helmet. With the helmet you don't need it that loud and you can still hear the motor and other noises. Would be nice for long trips i just hate helmets.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Curious how well you all can hear the other traffic around you, with the tunes going?

I want to have my tunes for riding, but still want to hear an emergency vehicle with sirens blazing for instance, or a car honking at me or what not...

·
Registered
450 Posts
keep it for use on the highway, I have a small tank bag with a clear pouch to put the player in. I then run the cords under my shirt so they don't blow all over. Once your in town it's easy to unplug the headphones or take the unit out to turn it off. Caught myself stopping at a green light listening to tunes that's why i say highway.

G

·
Ipod nano with leather case with belt clip. Actually goes in upside down so you can hook it on your belt and hook it up with the cord coming out the top. Bought a no brand set of inner ear buds with a volume slide adjuster. that is about chest height. That is a great set up for me. I like the music loud, but this way I can adjust it when I am riding in groups and can hear others at lgihts and such. Have thought about putting a system on the bike, but the Nano is just great for what i want for now. I use it on the wing as well. On the wing it integrates right into the sound system on the bike and then I can run it through the stereo system on the bike.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
OK I have yet to see anyone address the issue of how the hell you get your helmet on without the stupid earbuds falling out. I can't find a clip type with any descent audio performance either as I was looking for this type of ear bud in anticipation of this problem. But what astounds me is you guys don't seem to need a clip on earbud. So everybody has absolutely no problem whatsoever getting your helmets on without the earbud ripping your ear off? I must be a frickin martian. ???

Please enlighten me here. Someone? ANYONE?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Possible solution.

When I raced cars, we used an in car radio system. Most kits came w/ a very cheap foam type earbud. I could never get them to stay in so I used a small piece of duct tape over the ear bud to hold them in. It works like a champ, but a real "pain" to get off. The solution I found, although a tad pricey, was to go to an ear doctor and have them make a mold of my inner ear. They ten send the molds off to a sound company that they used and they put tiny mono speakers in each one with all the wiring and connector jack. Total cost was about $150 or so but it was WELL worth the money. They are custom made to fit my ear perfectly, will not fall out and seal the ear off perfectly so outside noise is kept out and the music is much more clear and loud. I probably wouldn't use Both ears on a motorcycle due the concerns that BigBen has mentioned, but I'm sure they could do just one ear. I'll have to check into it.

Just a thought.

I also found these:
http://www.podfitkit.com/?gclid=CKaB9qSjo44CFQqBQAodu2trRQ
www.ultimateears.com
http://www.customearsets.com/
http://www.futuresonics.com/apple/

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I have a sony ericson w810i that I use as my phone and mp3 player. I use the earbuds, put the helmet over and ride. Its fantastic.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I also use an iPod on the long rides. I use Shure earbuds that cancel out wind noise. I never ride in the rain, so that's not an issue and I clip the iPod onto my left pocket so I can reach and adjust it. Not ideal, but I can't bring myself to mount something on the handlebars and ruin that clean look. The earbuds were a bit pricey ($200 on Ebay) but worth every penny regarding sound and noise cancellation.

http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/ESeries/us_pa_E4c_content

·
Registered
233 Posts
IPOD Nano with Nolan N102 NCom helmet with built in speakers.Haven't had the chance to try it on a long ride yet but should do so soon.

cheers

JB

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I dont ride with tunes when I go into the city. I stop, and pull it. If I am riding alot of highway, I will use my Sandisk Sansa 250. 2 Gigs of pounding rock and hip hop to listen to. It just depends on my mood as to which one I am listening to. The controls on it are easy to deal with, inside of my jacket. Plus, I use some sony earphones that push into my ears. They are noise cancelling, so they kill just about everything around me, and I can listen to the tunes. I love it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
They're a little pricey, but here's what i use in the helicopter and they're great. i have them set up so that i can hear the coms in my helmet through the earbuds as well, or i can un plug them and use an adapter to plug them into my mp3 player. i think they run around $100 but don't quote me on that. the navy paid for mine :p lol http://www.cep-usa.com/id38.htm

1 - 20 of 29 Posts