M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever seen such clutch cable oiling?:joke: My mechanic told me on my second service that the clutch is hydraulics and can't be adjusted. Today, on my 3rd service, I told him I have clutch slip problem. He tested the clutch and this is what he did to oil the cable.:D
But after the oiling, the clutch seems to works much better then it was before. He sprayed WD40 in the self made funnel:p, and let it drained into the cable. Pulled at the cable catchment ( to the level) and some rust were seen gushing out. Guess the rust was what prevented the cable from moving freely.
By the way, my bike is an 08 model imported from the US and I bought it brand new 6 months ago.

·
Registered
960 Posts
???Time for a new mechanic, or better yet, do the work yourself.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Sure, he was wrong about the hydraulic clutch, but that is not a bad plan to flush and lube the cable.

·
Registered
824 Posts
If you had rust come out of your cable housing then you need to be replacing that cable, even if it works now it is not going to last.
This could have been caused during shipping or if you are near the ocean and lots of salt. That would worry me. I have never lubed my cable, 05 with 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you had rust come out of your cable housing then you need to be replacing that cable, even if it works now it is not going to last.
This could have been caused during shipping or if you are near the ocean and lots of salt. That would worry me. I have never lubed my cable, 05 with 20,000 miles.
Yeah, with posts of the clutch cable breaking, I have already ordered a set from J&P Cycles last week.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Replacing oil filter without taking off the chin spoiler.

Sure, he was wrong about the hydraulic clutch, but that is not a bad plan to flush and lube the cable.

I thought so myself. Just glad that he put in the effort.
And I read somewhere here that someone took out the oil filter without taking out the chin spoiler. So, I told him that he can use a chain filter loosener to take it out.
The reason was because the last 2 services he took at least twice as long the time to put back only the chin spoiler compared to the job of taking out oil filter, releasing engine oil, and putting back new ones in.
He was really appreciative that I let him does so cos' he told me some customer doesn't like the oil filter can scratched. So he didn't dare to open it with a chain.:dontknow: I mean what's a scratch that can't be seen?

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I lube my clutch cable once a year. Preventative maintenance is what its called. Prevents problems somewhere down the road.

As for the oil filter, you can drill a 1/2 hole in the black plastic part of the chin, centered on the oil filter. Then you can use one of them cup type filter removers and a 3/8 drive ratchet with extension.

Same theory, a small hole on the black plastic is invisible to anyone, except those who choose to bend over real low.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I lube my clutch cable once a year. Preventative maintenance is what its called. Prevents problems somewhere down the road.

As for the oil filter, you can drill a 1/2 hole in the black plastic part of the chin, centered on the oil filter. Then you can use one of them cup type filter removers and a 3/8 drive ratchet with extension.

Same theory, a small hole on the black plastic is invisible to anyone, except those who choose to bend over real low.
That could be an easier option.
And we can choose to kick the butt of those who 'bend over so low near our 9.:joke:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I use one of those small cans of oil that just drip out, Start slow dripping on the top of the cable and it just follows the cable down. Has worked so far

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Yep, the plastic bag trick is a valid method of lubing the cable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yep, the plastic bag trick is a valid method of lubing the cable.
If you find a store that sells dirt bike accessories, ie cycle gear, or even a local shop that sells dirt bikes. Fox makes a tool for oiling cables. for that batter even a high end bicycle shop will have them. You just pop the end from your lever, snap this piece on the cable insert the straw into your favorite lube and squirt away. If you haven't tried Royal Purple Max film, I highly recommend it. You can slide a cadillac in a dog house with that stuff.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
MalM109r do you park your 9 outside? it could be part of the reason the cable is rusting so quick
(just asking because one of your pictures shows your 9 on a lift outside)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MalM109r do you park your 9 outside? it could be part of the reason the cable is rusting so quick
(just asking because one of your pictures shows your 9 on a lift outside)
Back home it is under a shade. Out at work it is under the sun and rain. So it is 2/3 shade and 1/3 outdoors. I get to ride everyday in the year if i need to. But when physically unfit for the day, it will be the cage.:p

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Taiwanese approach to cable maintenance.

I found this in the Taiwanese M109R forum. Looks a bit more professional.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts