M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I needed to start a new post, because the last one was over done with poeple who wanted to talk about de-baffling (drilling) out there pipes. Mine are TRUELY DE-BAFFLED (GUTTED), Check out sound clip.

As I figured, the clip does not do the on trottle sound justice. But for those who are concerned about idle and part throttle, the clip is pretty good. I am talking at a normal voice volume.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Love it, I have tried to pick up the sound of my "Gutted" pipes with my camera but unless I am using my camcorder with dolby surround with dynamic bass, I can't get it to sound right. If anyone reads this post and is thinking of gutting the pipes, let me testify to you that the sound is awesome. I leave for work at 0500 and my wife says the pipes sound fine. But when I take off from the light that lets me on the freeway, the car alarms in the business parking lot next to it go off. I didnt have an air chisel so I used a piece of sharpened rebar and a hammer for the inner baffles.
Have fun and live life loud!

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Thanks,bro. I'll check it out. I have a set of Roadhouse pipes ordered but they have been on backorder since May. I thought I'd try this and maybe save myself some coin.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
None of us had the foresight to document the process as it was a learning thing.

I agree with rockfordrider, I just made the decision to do it one day, didn't even think to do a how to.
Once you remove the first plate (end of pipe) with a 3 inch bi-metal hole saw, and then some grinding with a die grinder to clean up the opening.
The next 2 plates (on an 08 R2) are held in by 3 tack welds around the circumforance. How you get those welds broken loose is the trick, the best solution I have heard is an air chisel. I didn't have one, so for the first inner wall, I destroid a large flat blade screw driver and used it as a chisel and a big hammer. 4 hours later I had the 1st inner wall out of both pipes. Sound was much better.
Later I decided I wanted the pipes completely gutted, so I scoured my tool box for something I could use. I ended up with my tie rod fork, it was long enough and heavy enough, so once again, Chesel (fork) and hammer in hand I went to work. 3 hours and some badly scraped knuckles later, I finally had my pipes gutted, the fork was even still usable for what it was designed for.
I don't have any regrets, they sound great.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
one of the guys i ride with has his 100%gutted and they sound AMAZING. for someone who doesnt have money for pipes this is the best way to go.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
None of us had the foresight to document the process as it was a learning thing.

Once you remove the first plate (end of pipe) with a 3 inch bi-metal hole saw, and then some grinding with a die grinder to clean up the opening.
The next 2 plates (on an 08 R2) are held in by 3 tack welds around the circumforance. How you get those welds broken loose is the trick, the best solution I have heard is an air chisel. I didn't have one, so for the first inner wall, I destroid a large flat blade screw driver and used it as a chisel and a big hammer. 4 hours later I had the 1st inner wall out of both pipes. Sound was much better.
Later I decided I wanted the pipes completely gutted, so I scoured my tool box for something I could use. I ended up with my tie rod fork, it was long enough and heavy enough, so once again, Chesel (fork) and hammer in hand I went to work. 3 hours and some badly scraped knuckles later, I finally had my pipes gutted, the fork was even still usable for what it was designed for.

This pretty much spells out the procedure.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
this is a timely post!! I've been thinking of gutting my catalytic converter for a while but just havn't dared pull the trigger yet. Once it's gone, it's gone! I drilled my baffles straight thru and drilled 8 holes on the outer ring two years ago but want more sound now. I rode this past weekend with L.T.T., Haywud, SaratogaRider, Big Irish, and 109rFan, and except for Haywud, they all have pipes of some sort on their bikes. (L.T.T's pipe sounds unbelievable!!!) :bigthumbsup:
That just made me want to gut the cat even more. I don't necessarly want to completely debaffle the pipes though (yet) Any insight or advice on smashing the catalyst out of my exhaust would be appreciated!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts