M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone stepped up to the plate and installed a true HID conversion kit on there 109 as of yet ? :bigthumbs:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are you positive that are bulb is H4? I would like to order one for my bike as well I had xenon on my BMW M3 they are incredibley bright on a motorcycle definetely a plus.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
raph4u said:
Are you positive that are bulb is H4? I would like to order one for my bike as well I had xenon on my BMW M3 they are incredibley bright on a motorcycle definetely a plus.
If you are wanting to know if the 109 has a H4 bulb............. Yes, its a H4 :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RLS said:
I just ordered this one 2 days ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTO...hZ019QQitemZ8070290939QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

I was going for one that costs less, but found out it was only 25watts. This one should be here sometime next week. So maybe next week-end I will be able to get it installed. :bigthumbsup:

Bob
Please do me a big favor and post up some good pic's of install and the light cut off. I had HID's on mt 04 R1 but it had projector beams and the 109 has reflector style so i am very curious on how they will work. I would appreciate it thank you.
Eric.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you go to that link, you will see it is a bi-xenon H-4 bulb, so it should have both lo and hi beam. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well, it looks like you get what you pay for! The kit I just got is a total disaster. There are no instructions, the wiring looks like it is for something totally different. I just sent an e-mail to them to see what this is all about, hope I hear back!~ lol Do NOT get this unit!!

Bob

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
chucks son said:
OK Eric,

What do I need & why do I need it? Seriously I don't know a lot about HID lights, never had one. I need a little schooling when you have time.

Chuck
Please note that I forgot I was on with my sons logon (Put his avatar on for him) so dont get confused. The question is from me. He probably knows all about this but I dont! :doorag:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RLS said:
Well, it looks like you get what you pay for! The kit I just got is a total disaster. There are no instructions, the wiring looks like it is for something totally different. I just sent an e-mail to them to see what this is all about, hope I hear back!~ lol   Do NOT get this unit!!

Bob
Keep us posted on what you come up with and yes i agree you do get what you pay for.. :verymad: :confused:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well, I did it! I used the one that I mentioned. It is for a car but only comes with one ballast and one bi-xenon bulb. Since it was not what he said it was, I got the shipping for free. Installation was easy once you figure out how to place it. The only part that was not a plug and play was the connection for the old H-4 bulb to the plug for the new one. I had to add about 42" to it. I put the fuse holder and relay on the battery end. The ballast was mounted on the back plate of the headlight housing.

The light output is just terrific :bigthumbsup: I do not have the bike together yet since hoefully my lowering bones will be here by Friday so I can put them in this week-end. But as you can see, you can see the fence and tree a lot better with the Xenon. Here are some pictures:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats cool. So which color temp did you go with i am going with the 8,000 the same that i had in my R1.
Could you send me the detailed pic's at the bottom i can not get them to enlarge.
Thank you
Eric. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
RLS said:
The light output is just terrific! But as you can see, you can see the fence and tree a lot better with the Xenon.
Umm, sorry but I don't see a tree or a fence in either pic? :confused:
Do you still think it was worth the $150 purchase price?

·
Registered
568 Posts
crazytank7, I went with the 6000. the higher up you go, the less light you get. :joke: :bigthumbsup:

BlackCherry, That depends. I can not say it is brighter than an H-4 Piaa Xtreme White Plus, since I can not compare the two side by side. I DO know it is a lot brighter than stock, and it is low wattage. That low wattage is important to me so I can run my 55watt fog lights at the same time without putting any load on the electrical system. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
For less than $20 you can get a 130/90W 12V H-4 quartz halogen bulb at any shop or on line.
Talk about turning the night into day this light is unbelievable. I've had mine for over a year and I can't tell you how many times it's saved me from a wreck with other vehicles.
Day or night the best weapon we have is a good bright headlight. Trust me this light stops them in there tracks.
Yes I know it's not street legal but if saves my a$$, and it has more than once, who cares.
I used this bulb in my previous bike and after I put it into the M109 the difference in the responce of other drivers on the road was very obvious.
No there hasn't been any discoloration of my headlight lens. The bulb is far enough back not to bother it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Do you have a part number of this under $20 light so the rest of us can try it out? :)

I'm all for a brighter light... no cares if it is legal or not...

So far being LEGAl has just gotten me almost killed twice...

Would love to have a BRIGHT light and just ride with it on always :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try this power sports link.

http://www.powersportspro.com/TuckerRocky/?C=2

2006 Biker's Choice catalog Pg 596, under lighting.  P/N 20-0020

There is also a xenon bulb listed on that page for $26 and less.

And again, I know the headlight housing and the lens is plastic but the bulb is set back far enough so that the extra heat isn't a problem. I've been running mine since April with no sign of a heat problem.

This light is BRIGHT, BRIGHT IS MY ONLY DEFENCE especially on a bright sunny day. And I don't care about the glare because I don't have to look at it!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts