M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
got to say guys if you get the chance go test ride one what a bike love it and have no regrets on the change over from the 9
I'm not looking at it as a change over. I'm looking at it as a bagger. Glad ur liking it.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts

·
Banned
408 Posts
I definitely thought about that bike back in July, but the dealer said it was sold out this year.:-\ So I got the Thunderbird 1700 instead. While I was there a guy pulled in on a new Matte Black Rocket and it was beautiful! He said he got the last one in the showroom.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I definitely thought about that bike back in July, but the dealer said it was sold out this year.:-\ So I got the Thunderbird 1700 instead. While I was there a guy pulled in on a new Matte Black Rocket and it was beautiful! He said he got the last one in the showroom.
thunderbirds a cool bike bro

·
Banned
1,218 Posts
I spent some time on a rocketlll a few months back. My cousin and I traded bikes for an hour or so during a ride.

My take? Good looking bike. Very nimble and well balanced (my cousin can ride the thing like its on a rail thru the twisties) Mucho torque. Seating and position very comfortable. smooth shifting.

Now the bad. Even tho the seat was comfortable, the heat from the engine made it feel like I was sitting on a burning log. Talk about giving you sweaty nards! The sound-I guess I could get used to it seeing how I love old John Deere tractors:eek: but a vtwin is a thousand times better sounding :bigthumbsup:

We both agreed that he could slightly pull me from 0 to 50 but the nine pulled harder at 50 and up. At fuel stops I was averaging 41-42mpg and he was averaging 35-36.

Build quality was not as great on the rocket as I thought it would be. I had to rewire the rockets taillights as his wiring under the rear fender was dropped and rubbed thru by the rear tire. Also I tightened the falling off rear turn signals.

Not knocking the bike, we all have problems here or there, and I would luv one as a second bike (bagger with AC under seat-lol) but I definately would NOT trade my nine on one...

Just my experienced .02:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I like the numbers on it, but it is so damn ugly.

I could not even go out to the garage knowing I had to face that thing every day.

I would need a bike cover just so I could stand to go out there to pull my 9 out of the garage.

·
Registered
927 Posts
got to say guys if you get the chance go test ride one what a bike love it and have no regrets on the change over from the 9
Definetly to each his own...I like the rocket..my wife liked it better than the 9 and wanted me to get it instead of the 109...she likes the more classic cruiser look it had...I was really on the fence with it..but I just couldnt get past how different nicer the 109 looks...and with there being minimal difference in performance...looks won the day for me. Grats on the new ride.:bigthumbsup: But before you start bashing the 109 perhaps you should take a left at the end of the street and head down to the Rocket 3 forums ;)

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I like the rocket. It's big, its brutish and it moves like hell... Also has a mean exhaust note. I saw one for the same price I payed for my 9 (it was used) but man was I freaking tempted... looked like so much fun.

I wonder about the fuel mileage though :dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,143 Posts
I thought the new Thunderbird was a 1600cc bike? That's probably my favorite bike right after the 109. I liked them when they were first testing prototypes in the bike mags. Never have seen one though.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts