M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask you.
What do you think about this tread wear?
I haven't checked the tire pressure and I will this week, but I did pay extra a few months back to put Nitro Air in the tires, which is supposed make the pressure last longer and wear down evenly.

Notice the flatness of the middle of the tire.

What do you guys think?

G

·
The last time I saw that kind of wear from a shaft drive bike was from a rather heavy guy that had a bad right hip. He rode with his butt slid off to the right to take the pressure off of it. That meant that he was leaning the bike slightly to the left when going straight. Do you have any situation that would be causing you to have to lean like that? A heavy passenger that always looks over you right shoulder to see maybe? It's also appearant that you take left turns harder in genteral. Some people are more comfortable leaning to one side over the other. There is usually some uneven front tire wear with this pattern too.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
No, left side does not look normal. Looks like ridge down center. I definatly would check pressure as that does not look right.???

·
Registered
595 Posts
You should have a 'real' motorcycle mechanic take a look at that....I don't know what would cause that kind of wear but it's definitely not right!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Dummy check.....check the directional arrow. Is the tire mounted to roll the right way.

Either way I'd say that tire is done.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Air pressure is critical with a softer tire.

My last tire wore the same way. I have also seen the same wear pattern on other bikes. My thought is that there is a bad batch of tires out there. I"m thinking it is belt separation. I talked to a competing tire rep at the bike show and he suggested I get ahold of a Metz rep. I never did and I suspect it was because of under inflation. Not really my fault. The guy that mounted my tires on new custom wheels did not tighten my valve stems. I always checked my air before a long ride. On one instance I took a 300 mile ride on a 90 plus degree day riding two up. I pulled into a gas station and noticed the tire looked like melted tar and rubber was peeling off. It didn't seem overly hot considering the temperature and I was running hard through the twisties. I just attributed it to being a soft tire. I have seen racing tires on bikes looks similar. I later discovered as my tire heated up the air got past the loose valve stem. I just bit the bullet and bought another tire. Air pressure is critical with the metz and with the soft compound you could easily shave a few thousand miles of tire life off if the tire gets hot or is under-inflated.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
You should have a 'real' motorcycle mechanic take a look at that....I don't know what would cause that kind of wear but it's definitely not right!
I definitely agree with SYCO

·
Registered
407 Posts
that is an underinflation issue my tire looked exactly the same due to running low air pressure, please by all means replace it, i tried to ride mine like that with my gf on the back, we got caught in some rain and hydroplaned bad, bike swapped ends twice, i was able to bring it to a controled stopped but scarred the crap out of both of us, one thing if i get hurt but if i hurt her i couldnt' handle it, made her ride with someone else all the way home and next day replaced tire with new one, they informed me thats what happens when you run tire real low on pressure and cut corners alot.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
What size tire are you running and is it on a stock wheel?? some of
the guys running 280's on stock wheels were seeing abnormal wear simular to that...

G

·
Most shop mechanics don't know didly about tires. Take it to a tire shop. Some place that specializes in motorcycle tires.

Low air pressure alone would cause the wear pattern to be evident on both sides of the tire. There is more to this problem than that.

And yes the tire needs to be replaced ASAP. But finding out what caused this might prevent the next one from doing the same thing. I think that is what the OP is trying to do by posting it.

Unfortunately, these odball wear patterns are hard to source out. There are so many possible causes. More often than not, it comes down to riding style or habits. Not to say that it couldn't be a defective tire, but it's not likely.

I've seen uneven side to side wear from as simple a thing as a guy having a favorite sweeper that he charged regularly on his way to work every day. But he didn't charge it on the way home to even out the wear. The wear pattern on this guys tire shows clearly more agressive left side riding than right, as evidenced by the feathering at the edge of the tread.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I will be changing out this tire this week. It's been pushed hard in the twisties and I favor my left side in the twisties, so it will wear a little different on the left, but it looks like you may have a different issue.

·
Registered
169 Posts
normal wear for cheap tire!!!!

My OEM rear tire wore the same way and I am not heavy (165 lbs.). I saved it as a curiosity piece. I replaced it with a Dunlop Elite 3 and it wore evenly. I am now on my second Dunlop E 3 and it is wearing evenly also. I think the original tires were cheapos and wore like it. I have seen this on other bikes that were running 300s on the rear.

The thing that gets me is that the left side wears more than the right side. My son summed it up saying that all left hand turns require more leaning (for a longer period of time) and therefore, we are leaning more to the left than we are to the right due to longer turn radius and that may explain the wear difference. I thought he was being kinda bright for a change. Hope this helps. I seriously doubt you have a problem with your bike.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Did anyone else notice the knot on the left half of the center tread blocks? I bet that tire vibrated pretty bad. It looks like a belt could've possibly shifted causing the weird tread wear.

On another note, get your flip flops an HD video camera and finish that tire off! :joke:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i was going to say the same thing michell. that knot is very suspect. and also; are your roads crowned excessively, that could cause this as well...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Because you ride on the right hand side of the road, you have better vision through a left hand corner, meaning you will corner faster. In New Zealand we drive on the left hand side of the road and get slightly more wear on the right hand side of the tyre. The flat spot in the middle is normal from straight line riding. I have run wider tyres but have gone back to the 240 because it gives more even wear and better milage.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
install a new tire and watch its performance, Im sure the bikes fine, no wobbles, vibrations ect I get about 4500- 5500 miles on rear tires on my 3 bikes, to many launches:doorag: "oh well" :bigthumbsup: P.S. looks like the tire could be way underinflated

·
Registered
678 Posts
Just so I understand what everyone is saying. The ridge in the center is caused but the tire being underinflated?
I noticed last night that mine is doing the same thing and I don't launch the bike at all.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
If you had a narrow flat section in the center of the tire, most likely due to being upright almost all the time...i.e., alot of freeway riding. If the flat section is really wide, then I'd chalk it up to being under-inflated.

Wear like this.....That is a bubble in the tread. I'll bet not the only one either. That is due to a belt shift or seperation. Caused either by defect in making the tire, belt seperation or shift (not too common, but it does happen), or the tire was mounted reversed.

No matter......change that tire out bro.:nojoke:

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
here is a picture of mine, a long time ago. My Metz did the same thing but not quite as bad as yours.

I am now on my 4th E3 and this has never happened with one of those.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts