M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys help me out here. I purchased a 240\40\R18 for my rear tire about 3,000 miles ago. now i see a lot of wear already it is in fact past the wear bars. what can i do to get better tread life. I do not ride wild, so i can not see why they are wearing down so fast. Or is this just normal?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Some tires wear out faster then others. What tire are you running? I know most people on stock rims including myself run the Dunlop E3 in a 250 as it is the widest when mounted and has good longevity for the price. Riders report about 10k to 15k miles depending on rider weight and riding styles.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
It could be the road surface wearing them down. Some of that blacktop is said to really chew up tires. Ok you gave us size, how about brand cause it makes a big difference. The longest wearing best compromise between being hard enough to get you through more then 1 season and yet soft enough so that the bike sticks to the road, I use the Dunlup E3 250 and i find it to be a nice riding and wearing tire.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The OEM tires on these bikes were junk. I got 3548 miles out of my original tire and I was just starting to show cords. As others have mentioned, it would help if we knew what make and model tire you were running so we can make recommendations.

The new tire on the right is a Dunlop E3 250.

Taz

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks just like mine

same issue and same miles really.
i will check the brand when i get home i suffer from C.N.R.S. Can not remember ****.
i will let you know.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
If you're looking for best mileage and yet good grip and traction, I think most members here go with the Dunlop E-3 tires. Also, if you're not already doing it, check your tire pressure regularly, to insure the tires are always properly inflated. That helps a great deal with getting the most out of your tires.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got about 4500 miles out of the oem Dunlop Sportmax tires. My first set of replacements were the Michelin Commander II's. I got about 10K out of the rear and about 12K from the front. I am currently running a set of Avon Cobra's... still no verdict on them though, they are still pretty new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts