M109 Rider Forums banner

With 800 or more miles and synthetic oil, pick up to 3 options that apply.

• !st to 2nd hard shift, but improved.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Occasional N to 1st difficulty, but improved.

• Never had any problems

• All gears have problems.

• Not recall material, comes with the tranny/engine combo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:bigthumbsup:  You can vote 3 times to choose the options that best apply to your ride.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i put in full synth 20-50 today (synth in rear too), and it helped a lot. cam isn't so noisy, and shifts much quieter now.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
becase the full synthetic is TOO SLICK so the clutch will start slipping.So watch the full synthetic stuff.
2 different suzuki dealers gave me reasons why i shouldn't put synth in it. afterwards, i researched oil, and specifically synth. i found that the dealers were as ignorant as i was, except they were making professional recommendations based on their ignorance. i suspect this guy at suzuki is in the same boat. they are misquoting a side effect of molybdenum, an additive in auto oils to increase fuel economy. it has been known to cause problems with some motorcycle clutches.

synth is no more "slick" than normal oil. it simply contains less impurities that eventually sludge up your engine. it also holds it's viscosity better in a wider range of temperatures without the large amount of additives typical oils require. it also doesn't break down as easilly. that's it. there are no reasons whatsoever not to use it right out of the crate, except for the fact that it can be more expensive. to me, my engine is worth the extra love.

·
Registered
817 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
well i've talked to suzuki america and the tech boys say it will quite the motor and tranny but the wet clutch will give up the ghost , becase the full synthetic is TOO SLICK so the clutch will start slipping.So watch the full synthetic stuff.
Total BS. Really.

Dump some AMSoil or Synthetic Rotella T in there and stop worrying.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My 04 R1 had a wet sump clutch and I could run full synthetic as long as it didn't contain molly in it. I'll prob use full synthetic in this bike without molly.

G

·
When I had the 600 mile service done, someone at the shop adjusted the clutch and it really screwed up the shifts. The bike sounded like it was loseing 20 lbs of metal everytime I shifted. Extremely hard shifting too. I had the shop manager look at it today and he readusted the clutch. He really turned the adjuster in quite alot and it helpls imenselly.

Reed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts