M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:'(
So I take the Bike out on a beautiful day (cold though) to get some gas so it's topped off for the winter storage... I let it run for about 5 mins to warm up in the driveway, do 2 laps around the condo complex, take the back way out to the street, I get on it a little bit down a road about half a mile long, I shift into 2nd REALLY hard, it popped really loud, then roll on the throttle (not to be confused with cracking the throttle), shift into third gear and i hear an even louder POP and the transmission blows up on me!!!! followed by the rocks in a blender sound and it felt like i was in neutral.... *sigh*..............

It sounded like a handful of bolts rattling around in the crank case... :yikes::swear: EPIC FAIL!!!!!! Suzuki better cover the tab on this one, it's less than a year old......... Warranty my a**!!!!

It's a sad day indeed. I've been online for the day on this site and a couple other sites that specialize in M109's, and there are a bunch of guys that claim issues similar to mine. We'll see what happens, I mean, it's about 6 months old, 5500 miles on it, and the warranty is supposed to be 12 months, 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
:'(
So I take the Bike out on a beautiful day (cold though) to get some gas so it's topped off for the winter storage... I let it run for about 5 mins to warm up in the driveway, do 2 laps around the condo complex, take the back way out to the street, I get on it a little bit down a road about half a mile long, I shift into 2nd REALLY hard, it popped really loud, then roll on the throttle (not to be confused with cracking the throttle), shift into third gear and i hear an even louder POP and the transmission blows up on me!!!! followed by the rocks in a blender sound and it felt like i was in neutral.... *sigh*..............

It sounded like a handful of bolts rattling around in the crank case... :yikes::swear: EPIC FAIL!!!!!! Suzuki better cover the tab on this one, it's less than a year old......... Warranty my a**!!!!

It's a sad day indeed. I've been online for the day on this site and a couple other sites that specialize in M109's, and there are a bunch of guys that claim issues similar to mine. We'll see what happens, I mean, it's about 6 months old, 5500 miles on it, and the warranty is supposed to be 12 months, 12,000 miles.
First, are you sure your secondary drive didn't break? Either way, it should definitely be covered under warranty. However, Suzuki is known to come back with the "you abused it" clause and say they won't cover it. You have to stand your ground. You may have to foot the whole bill and fight them afterwards. If so, the bill will be around $2-3k for the complete tear down and fix. The dealer will probably make you sign a form stating that if Suzuki doesn't cover it, you still will pay for the repair. Good luck and keep us informed.

On a side note, just so you feel better, I have seen some that get it done under warranty with no questions asked. Just make sure your dealer goes to bat for you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I loosened the clutch cable on multiple occasions this year, but the major thing is (and I admit) I've only been riding for about 1 year. My first bike was a Suzuki Marauder and then I bought this brand new in March.

I'm a bike n00b, and I am kinda learning as I go. They never showed me when I bought this bike how to adjust anything, move anything or explained anything about the maintenance of the bike. My buddy is a bike mechanic and he told me they are supposed to show me all that.

I dont know what broke, but I know I was able to get the bike home. The transmission was super loose and the gears just felt off. IDK what to do. I love this bike but I just cant fathom spending another $2k to fix it when it's only 6 months old.

G

·
Also, I loosened the clutch cable on multiple occasions this year, but the major thing is (and I admit) I've only been riding for about 1 year. My first bike was a Suzuki Marauder and then I bought this brand new in March.

I'm a bike n00b, and I am kinda learning as I go. They never showed me when I bought this bike how to adjust anything, move anything or explained anything about the maintenance of the bike. My buddy is a bike mechanic and he told me they are supposed to show me all that.

I dont know what broke, but I know I was able to get the bike home. The transmission was super loose and the gears just felt off. IDK what to do. I love this bike but I just cant fathom spending another $2k to fix it when it's only 6 months old.
I'm at almost 6000 dude on my '08. Suffice it to say mine will never see a dragstrip, but my shifting has gotten better as it's broken in. I don't do full throttle shifts all the time, but it has seen quite a few wring-outs. Never missed a 2nd or 3rd upshift. In fact, my shifting has become more crisp since it cooled off, the oil holding viscosity more.

When you say shifting had gotten worse over time, what do you mean exactly?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
step 1) call the dealer and arrange to have the bike sent there for repair.
step 2) stand your ground, and insist that it is a manufacturing problem. DO NOT SHARE the fact that you are a noob, or unsure on how to maintain or operate the bike. That will only give them grounds to say it was abused. Stay tight lipped and only share enough info to get the work done. ie- "I was riding it down the street normally when the clutch failed."

Good Luck. I can't really see any reason how they could make up an excuse not to cover this repair under warranty.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm at almost 6000 dude on my '08. Suffice it to say mine will never see a dragstrip, but my shifting has gotten better as it's broken in. I don't do full throttle shifts all the time, but it has seen quite a few wring-outs. Never missed a 2nd or 3rd upshift. In fact, my shifting has become more crisp since it cooled off, the oil holding viscosity more.

When you say shifting had gotten worse over time, what do you mean exactly?
Well, I can tell you, mine will never go back to the strip. Street racing is fun enough for me.

Over time, the "popping" into second gear has been getting worse, even before the track experience. Like I said, I've adjusted the clutch cable, A LOT! It's very loose now, and it was very tight when i got it back in March. When I say Popping, i really mean, imagine a metal I-beam clanging against another I-beam. Thats what my shifting sounds like. And I'm fully engaging the clutch lever too.. I just figured when I got the bike that it was normal since my Marauder did the same thing for the most part, just not as loud.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
step 1) call the dealer and arrange to have the bike sent there for repair.
step 2) stand your ground, and insist that it is a manufacturing problem. DO NOT SHARE the fact that you are a noob, or unsure on how to maintain or operate the bike. That will only give them grounds to say it was abused. Stay tight lipped and only share enough info to get the work done. ie- "I was riding it down the street normally when the clutch failed."

Good Luck. I can't really see any reason how they could make up an excuse not to cover this repair under warranty.
Yeah, my mechanic friend is going to talk to his company, which is a authorized Suzuki dealer, and have them come pick it up in the next day or two.

Since this is my buddy's shop, I'm letting him do all the talking. I ride with him fairly often and even he says I didnt ride the bike that hard. I'll answer questions, but I'm letting him take point on the talking.

Thanks for the advice everyone!!! I'll keep you posted on the results!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts

First, chuck that "I am a bike noob" thought right out the window. It has nothing to do with this situation so feel at ease on that. Even if you didn't have the clutch cable adjusted right, chances are it would have been too tight. IF that is the case, worst case would be that you hurt the clutch, not the transmission. If it was me, I would take it to the dealer and be somewhat honest. Be mad, but not aggressive and explain how it happened. Tell them you were accelerating into traffic and hit second gear and it happened. You have every right to step on the throttle and shift.

Edit - just saw you buddy will be handling...good to know.

G

·
Yeah, my mechanic friend is going to talk to his company, which is a authorized Suzuki dealer, and have them come pick it up in the next day or two.

Since this is my buddy's shop, I'm letting him do all the talking. I ride with him fairly often and even he says I didnt ride the bike that hard. I'll answer questions, but I'm letting him take point on the talking.

Thanks for the advice everyone!!! I'll keep you posted on the results!
Crap, even if you did, it's built to run! Never subscribed to that abuse crap. Abuse is running low on oil, running into crap, towing a bus, but NOT using it for what it is designed.

I would have no qualms taking mine to the strip, but sh it breaks, and it's always a hassle getting repairs. But I would fight like a pit bull on this.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Crap, even if you did, it's built to run! Never subscribed to that abuse crap. Abuse is running low on oil, running into crap, towing a bus, but NOT using it for what it is designed.

I would have no qualms taking mine to the strip, but sh it breaks, and it's always a hassle getting repairs. But I would fight like a pit bull on this.
Basically, as long as there is no trace of tire rubber, they have no shot of winning an "abuse" case. However, if you show up with tire rubber on the inside of the fender....you are going to lose that one all day long.

Point of this post... buy a second inner fender if you go to the track :a20:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

First, chuck that "I am a bike noob" thought right out the window. It has nothing to do with this situation so feel at ease on that. Even if you didn't have the clutch cable adjusted right, chances are it would have been too tight. IF that is the case, worst case would be that you hurt the clutch, not the transmission. If it was me, I would take it to the dealer and be somewhat honest. Be mad, but not aggressive and explain how it happened. Tell them you were accelerating into traffic and hit second gear and it happened. You have every right to step on the throttle and shift.

Edit - just saw you buddy will be handling...good to know.
Thanks guys! I am totally going to fight this one. I love this bike but I know what's fair and what's not. If i bought a brand new Mustang and took it directly to the track, there is no way I'd have the same problems. In fact, I've taken my Mustang to the track, and it's over 105,000 miles... and it's still running just fine!!! I'm not going to mention anything about that to the dealer, but thats not the point. The point is that Suzuki has a crappy 2nd gear and they should fix it.

Big Papa, Thanks dude! Your comment makes me feel better. I've been riding for about a year, but I've learned a lot in that time frame. I just cant see this being my fault.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Basically, as long as there is no trace of tire rubber, they have no shot of winning an "abuse" case. However, if you show up with tire rubber on the inside of the fender....you are going to lose that one all day long.

Point of this post... buy a second inner fender if you go to the track :a20:
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, Thats not a bad idea. The good thing is that I am really a stickler about keeping the bike clean, so they wont find :edit: anyways!! :joke: Either way, this bike is so new, there's no way they can claim it wasnt a manufacturer defect...

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Big Papa, Thanks dude! Your comment makes me feel better. I've been riding for about a year, but I've learned a lot in that time frame. I just cant see this being my fault.
You are more then welcome. I have found that everything we drive, comes with a learning curve. However, after a month or two, it ends up being more about the rider then the bike. I am not talking about the maintenance and how to mod it, but the mechanical knowledge of riding.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Too bad about your bike going out.

I just got mine out of the shop a week ago with a bad clutch.

They split open the case and checked everything. Bad bearing on the clutch shaft or whatever its called.

12000 miles warranty? I was told I had unlimited mileage. Had 30,000 when it went into the shop, Seven months old, no miles when I bought it.

Suzuki fixed it under warranty.

My clutch cable broke at 5000 miles, but a tranny or clutch? Thats got to be warranty.

As far as riding hard, I didn't baby mine, not even close.

Knock on wood I wont have to go back to the shop, and an extended warranty is going on the bike before the end of my warranty.

Good luck

:super:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Too bad about your bike going out.

Suzuki fixed it under warranty.

As far as riding hard, I didn't baby mine, not even close.

Knock on wood I wont have to go back to the shop, and an extended warranty is going on the bike before the end of my warranty.
Thanks Spillman! What did you tell them when you took it in? Did they give you a hard time?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Suzuki will probably try to void the warranty because you have lowering bones. They are bad about that.

·
Banned
408 Posts
"I SHIFTED INTO 2ND REALLY HARD" I would take that comment out here, if some suzuki rep reads that he'll consider that beating on the bike & void the warranty.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"I SHIFTED INTO 2ND REALLY HARD" I would take that comment out here, if some suzuki rep reads that he'll consider that beating on the bike & void the warranty.
It's not like I was shifting hard, you know? just a normal shift but the bang into gear was what i was referring to.... Well, I havent ridden the bike that bad. Some of the guys i ride with really abuse their bikes and have no issues on them. No way this is my fault...

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Why do you have to shift into 2nd so hard? People should read this site a little more and see that you can easily shift into 2nd with nothing more then just a little release of the gas providing you are putting upward pressure on the shifter before pulling in the clutch..... I am not sure if "Shift it like you mean it" is very good for these bikes!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts