M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok before you guys go get all mad about me here is the situation. I need to go to colorado next weekend to pick up a truck load of stuff. I figured i might as well take the m109 along and go for a ride with some buddies. Unfortunately i can find no where to rent an enclosed trailer. Uhaul will not rent one for a motorcycle. So this is what they are going to give me http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=opentrailer-5x9 .  Anyway i have 2 main questions. First strapping it down. I had originally planned to just strap down the handle bars good like i use to the dirt bike. But then i figured i better ask some guys that have more experience before something bad happens. I would really like to use a front wheel chock but there is no way i can think of to mount it without drill holes in uhauls trailer(probably a bad idea). The trailer does however have a grooved floor like a pickup so that might help. Next the sides of the trailer come up about 2.5-3ft. Do i need to cover the front of the bike to avoid damage from rocks and stuff or is it more trouble than it is worth?Â
Any info will help

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: towing the m109

not sure i called like 10 different uhauls and they said this or the bigger open trailer was all they could rent me. They said they could not rent the enclosed ones for motorcycles. (I suppose that would have something to do with gas being in there.)

Also Should i fill the tank? run it down? does it matter?

·
Registered
176 Posts

I hauled my Brand new M in one of the open 5x9 u haul trailers. It rode fine in the trailer for over 600 miles. The sides and front protect the bike from damage. Also it has a built in ramp in the back. I told the U haul people I wished I could buy one of these trailers. They are very nice for hauling bikes.

DO NOT USE THE HANDLEBAR HARNESS TO STRAP DOWN THEN BIKE!

I bought one and tried it and it ended up rotating the bars in the clamps. Very bad. I went around the risers on both sides with long straps and back down to the tiedowns in the corners off the front of the trailer. In the rear I wrapped a towel around the strap and went through the rear wheel. I don't like the enclosed trailer idea because you can't see the bike. If I had used a enclosed with the original handlebar harness the bike would have been down in the trailer and I wouldn't even have known.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

so how many tie down straps am i going to need? 1 for each side up front around the risers and 1 for the wheel in the back? Thanks for all the info thus far. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

chevyguy_72 said:
Ok before you guys go get all mad about me here is the situation. I need to go to colorado next weekend to pick up a truck load of stuff. I figured i might as well take the m109 along and go for a ride with some buddies. Unfortunately i can find no where to rent an enclosed trailer. Uhaul will not rent one for a motorcycle. So this is what they are going to give me http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=opentrailer-5x9 .  Anyway i have 2 main questions. First strapping it down. I had originally planned to just strap down the handle bars good like i use to the dirt bike. But then i figured i better ask some guys that have more experience before something bad happens. I would really like to use a front wheel chock but there is no way i can think of to mount it without drill holes in uhauls trailer(probably a bad idea). The trailer does however have a grooved floor like a pickup so that might help. Next the sides of the trailer come up about 2.5-3ft. Do i need to cover the front of the bike to avoid damage from rocks and stuff or is it more trouble than it is worth?Â
Any info will help
Not to bust any chops but I think you should change your post to "TRAILERING a 109".! Trailering and Towing are technically two different methods of transportation.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
OK I am going to think outside the box here for a minute.

How much is it going to cost to rent this Uhaul ?

I bought a 5' x 10' open lawn utility trailer brand new from a local dealer for $900. (Best money I ever spent)

Put multiple chocks in it for bikes and it works great for trailering multiple bikes ( has a built in ramp) and everything/anything else.

I get to keep it in the garage so it will always be in mint condition. I have trailered mine and my bros bikes/other stuff in this trailer so many times it has already paid for itself and since I plan to keep it at least 20 years in mnt conditon it will wind up costing $45 per year !!!

Oh yes and I use a chock and four straps to haul a bike ---two on the rear to pull the bike forward and two more on the handlebars (with the kickstand up)- never had a problem.

You can probably find a used one for half the price (or maybe a buddy has one you can borrow) but I realize time is of the essence for you so this may not be an option.

ride safe

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
about $80 for 4 days. I have actually found a 5X10 enclosed trailer that is used that i am going to look at monday. The main problem with buying one is i don't have the room to store it. I currently have 2 trucks a car and the m109. Plus some body parts for the older truck (it is a 72 chevy if you did not guess already). The only option i might have is storing it at a buddy work since he owns a plumbing company with a large building a fenced in yard for his trucks. Unless this trailer is a steal i will probably end up with the uhaul for this run and then hope to find something in the future. I need about 3 more stalls in my garage. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I use six straps total. Two on each side of the handlebars and one on each side of the rear. I always put two on each side of the handlebars because you never know when they may break. You will have a back up safety strap there just in case. As for the rear, I always put one on each side to make sure the rear doesn't flop around. It doesn't matter how well you tie down the front, the rear does bounce around and could get a little sideways on you. Trailers do tend to bounce more than just puting the bike in a truck bed.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
chevyguy_72 said:
about $80 for 4 days. I have actually found a 5X10 enclosed trailer that is used that i am going to look at monday. The main problem with buying one is i don't have the room to store it. I currently have 2 trucks a car and the m109. Plus some body parts for the older truck (it is a 72 chevy if you did not guess already). The only option i might have is storing it at a buddy work since he owns a plumbing company with a large building a fenced in yard for his trucks. Unless this trailer is a steal i will probably end up with the uhaul for this run and then hope to find something in the future. I need about 3 more stalls in my garage. :bigthumbsup:
Chevy,

That is awesome that you have a buddy with an area to store it for you. Hope you get a great deal on Monday. (Bring ca$h and show it to him) it always lowers the price.

Gear up and ride safe

·
Registered
592 Posts
M109LOVER said:
OK I am going to think outside the box here for a minute.

How much is it going to cost to rent this Uhaul ?

I bought a 5' x 10' open lawn utility trailer brand new from a local dealer for $900. (Best money I ever spent)

Put multiple chocks in it for bikes and it works great for trailering multiple bikes ( has a built in ramp) and everything/anything else.

I get to keep it in the garage so it will always be in mint condition. I have trailered mine and my bros bikes/other stuff in this trailer so many times it has already paid for itself and since I plan to keep it at least 20 years in mnt conditon it will wind up costing $45 per year !!!

Oh yes and I use a chock and four straps to haul a bike ---two on the rear to pull the bike forward and two more on the handlebars (with the kickstand up)- never had a problem.

You can probably find a used one for half the price (or maybe a buddy has one you can borrow) but I realize time is of the essence for you so this may not be an option.

ride safe
This is the way to GO!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well i was interested until i saw the price :yikes: $1700 w/ ramp :yikes:
For that i will probably try to buy a reg trailer.
Thanks anyway man :bigthumbsup:

fyrmanjam said:
What about those "ramps" that mounts on the receiver and holds the bike sideways in relation to the truck?
They are affordable and small enough to store but i have no experience with them.Â

Im sure someone has an opinion around here.
here is one example http://joeylift.net/Home_Page.php

·
Registered
21 Posts
If someone has a problem with the handlebars rotating while using the bar straps made for this purpose, the bars were not tightened properly. They probably would have spun while riding too ! That could present a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not sure i have the time to buy one before i go (only have a few days) I live in Nebraska by the way.

Also Where is the best place to tie down to on the rear? The only place i have thought this far is the wrap a towel around the rear wheel and then run a strap around it and to either side. Also on the fronts i have heard handle bars, risers, any other options? Both are fine just want to make sure i use the best area without any resulting damage.
Thanks

·
Registered
844 Posts
Just my 2 cents -- but I REALLY don't think anyone would notice (or care) if you drilled a couple hole for chocks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts