M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to trailering my M109 and VTX1800 about 800 miles. I will be using an 6'x12' enclosed trailer with (4) D-rings (2) up front and (2) 3/4 of the way back. My question is what is the best way to secure them. The trailer has no built in chocks, and I'm not sure how to-do it.

Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was afraid the advice was (4) d rings per bike. On dirt bikes we use to tie the handle bars in the center and use the tie downs on the outside. I know these aren't dirtbikes and they weigh 3 times has much.

·
Registered
317 Posts
dbritton1963 said:
Buy two front wheel chocks and you need 4 D-rings per bike. Don't take any chances. Extra strap it because they do break.
exactly, listen to the old man with the slow black bike. get the wheel chocks, 4 more d rings (i hope they are in the floor) and don't go cheap on the straps. it would suck to travel 800 miles to find out you screwed up two bikes.

G

·
Metric Man,
I have a 6 x 12 trailer myself, but mine is only a single axle rated at 1000lbs. is yours rated for higher weight than that? Dual axle? Just wondering. At 6' wide you may have to stagger the position of the bikes in the trailer. The wheel chocks would definately be the way to go. They do make some that the front wheel just fits into and then they make some that the front wheel locks into. Depending on where you tie the bike down at you may want to look into the soft ties, they have a cover that goes over the nylon strap that protects the bike from friction from the straps.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I would get a friend to drive the truck pulling the trailer, and just ride the 109 following him...

Problem solved of only having 4 tie down spots ;)

:)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I bought a set of handlebar harnesses for the bike when i bought it because i needed to trailer it home about 600 miles...don't waste your money.

The bike weighs so much that they are useless. you just end up rotating the bars downward in the risers and putting gouges in them. You have to put so much tension on the tie downs due to weight that they just end up rotating the bars. So what i had to do was go around the bottom of the riser and back down to the d ring in the corner of the trailer. i put a strap through the rear wheel to secure it front to back. I didn't like doing it that way but it worked and had no problems trailering it 600 miles. I did run a strap from each of the forward control brackets to the front d rings as well to help support the bike side to side.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought the big daddy tie straps.Locking hooks,cant come loose.Padded around the bar area.Never skipped a beat from iowa to PA and back.Well worth 150.I bought their softtie loops for the rear and just put a regular ratchet strap on them.Worked great

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would not recommend tie downs on the handle bars - they are very cheep and not plated well. I put my bike in the back of my truck to take it to the dealership (less then 15 miles) and when I got there the handle bars where all scratched. Unless you want to replace the bars I would avoid this problem. I have also trailered many bikes and tied down to the handle bars on all of them and never had this problem before.

Enjoy your trip.

Bob

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have to trailer my 9 because i work on the road. I used 2 1 1/2in pull straps on the bars made by HD and one strap going through the back tire that hooks in on both sides about 3ft behind the bike and this wheel caulk http://www.discountramps.com/bike-pro-wheel-chock.htm with a racket strap under the chalk and over the tire. Not saying it is the best way but it works for me. The chalk is awesome though it holds the bike up when you put it in. Oh yes one other thing the 1 1/2's are both soft and hook straps in one so you can choose. But I personally use the soft. Hope this helps ya.

·
Registered
98 Posts
109RS said:
listen to the old man with the slow black bike.Â
:a20:

I had to trailer my bike a couple hundred miles through country roads when I bought it. Open trailer. I used ratchet style straps and on the handlebars (only the strap material should make contact with the bars) the same as the ol' dirt bike days where you compress the forks a bit to hold the bike in place. I then ran a strap through the rear hub and around the tire to help stabalize the rear end. Had no problems and no scratches.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The trailer I'll be using is not mine, and has no chocks. I assume they must be bolted down to work. Any suggestions??

Thanks

G

·
metric man said:
The trailer I'll be using is not mine, and has no chocks. I assume they must be bolted down to work. Any suggestions??

Thanks
Chocks will save your bikes... Yes they most be bolted down... I would not trust a trailer without chocks and 4 tie downs for 2 bikes...

maybe you need to make 2 trips... :
P

·
Registered
317 Posts
metric man said:

Thanks
can you at least put both front wheels up against front of the trailer and then run two more straps from the wheel to an anchor point to stop them from walking. you need to be able to compress the forks so the bike won't bounce and you need to keep the front wheel from walking. even with all the weight on the front wheel it can still turn and dump the bike,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts