M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey my wife and i are planning a long trip for next summer and i am beginning to plan out all of my options. i have a two wheeled motorcycle trailer that i am borrowing from my dad but i am beginning to look into all of the trailer hitch options. What's all out there for me? Please post pics and where you got them and how much they were. Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
yeah i really like that one it flows real nice with the bike... is that one the same from denray as from hitch usa or are they different?
another member here buy from hitch USA and told me it's the same as Denray ..... so i think it's a "yes" ..... :D you can easily remove it when you didn't use your trailer :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Beware of Denray Hitches

I've got a Denray hitch and wouldn't recommend it. They are made of tubing, no solid material. They fail in front of the first bend just behind the mounting tube on the bike. I pulled a trailer from KC to Las Vegas in August this year, a little over 1,600 miles in 2 days. I was out the next morning scraping off all of the bug juice and noticed that both sides where cracked about 3/4" way around. I'm thinking another 100 miles or so and I wouldn't be here to warn you about it. I had to crate and ship the trailer home - a buddy of mine packed my bag for me on the way back.

Apparently Denray is aware of this issue as they tried to fix the strain on this area by installing a small gusset at the bend, didn't work. There is at least one other member on here that actually had it break all the way through and fall off - he wasn't pulling a trailer at the time thank god.

I really like the looks of the Denray so I'm working on fabricating one similar to it with solid bar material and additional "anti-sway/torque" bars to keep it from twisitng the hitch - I've got a Uni-Go trailer and the mounting hitch sets up another 4" or so off of the ball mount and needs to be stablized. My next concern would be the mounting tubes - this would be the next "weakest link". I'd like to be able to remove the hitch without having to unbolt the fender but I'm thinking I'd rather have the hitch mounting tabs welded to a solid material in lieu of tubing. I'd feel a lot more confident that way. I hope to have it fabbed by the end of this month and will probably ask Jerry if he could chrome it out for me - I'm going to send him my forks and tree's too. I should have it done and ready for spring.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
:eek:
I've got a Denray hitch and wouldn't recommend it. They are made of tubing, no solid material. They fail in front of the first bend just behind the mounting tube on the bike. I pulled a trailer from KC to Las Vegas in August this year, a little over 1,600 miles in 2 days. I was out the next morning scraping off all of the bug juice and noticed that both sides where cracked about 3/4" way around. I'm thinking another 100 miles or so and I wouldn't be here to warn you about it. I had to crate and ship the trailer home - a buddy of mine packed my bag for me on the way back.

Apparently Denray is aware of this issue as they tried to fix the strain on this area by installing a small gusset at the bend, didn't work. There is at least one other member on here that actually had it break all the way through and fall off - he wasn't pulling a trailer at the time thank god.

I really like the looks of the Denray so I'm working on fabricating one similar to it with solid bar material and additional "anti-sway/torque" bars to keep it from twisitng the hitch - I've got a Uni-Go trailer and the mounting hitch sets up another 4" or so off of the ball mount and needs to be stablized. My next concern would be the mounting tubes - this would be the next "weakest link". I'd like to be able to remove the hitch without having to unbolt the fender but I'm thinking I'd rather have the hitch mounting tabs welded to a solid material in lieu of tubing. I'd feel a lot more confident that way. I hope to have it fabbed by the end of this month and will probably ask Jerry if he could chrome it out for me - I'm going to send him my forks and tree's too. I should have it done and ready for spring.
:eek: thx for the info, i will call Denray to have a update on that !!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I called Denray and they told me that the hitch prior to 2010 where to "slim" for big trailer, so now they chose a thicker steel. Hope everything will be ok. :pop:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts