M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ton of stuff to do to get ready for our Sturgis trip on Wednesday but I couldn't help taking some time out to see some of my friends in Maggie Valley. When I left the house last night is was raining pretty hard but I geared up and headed over there. I got there about 9 pm and decided I wasn't going to ride back in the rain at night after I only had about two hours sleep the night before. :eek:
Side Note: The BigAir did fine in the rain. :doorag:

When I got there a good friend of mine was there (Yogi) with his Rocket3 and it didn't take long for us to start comparing notes on the 109 and the rocket. The Rocket has the numbers all the way around, it has more hp, more torque and more displacement but I still wanted to run him. :evil: I got a chance to do that this morning on a nice open road in Maggie Valley.

It had been raining when we got up so we decided to go get some breakfast and see if the roads were going to dry up. Well they did and the race was on. :bigthumbsup:

We found a starting spot where we could hit it on a roll on. We had a little sign that when we got to the sign we would whack it at about 20 mph or so. The let off point was about a 1/2 to 3/4 down the road and we had Yogi's brother "Rocket" taking the video. We did two runs before the cops got there. We don't know if they showed up or not but we were starting to gather a crowd so we didn't stick around. :cop:

When we headed toward the starting point to turn around at we both whacked it and I was pulling him pretty good. His comment was "this could be interesting" :evil: We rolled to the start at about 25 mph and we hit it. I was bouncing off of the rev limiter in the first 3 gears but as you can see from the video it was pretty darn close. The second run I was in second and I think that hurt me, he pulled me and had me by about 2.5 bike lengths but the camera shut itself off before he got the video.

Bottom line is the Rocket has the bragging rights two for two, :bigthumbsup: :doorag: but the 109 is not far behind. :doorag:
We both had after market pipes and fuel management (even though mine is still fat) and I had the BigAir on my bike. It was all in fun and we had a great time and nobody went to jail. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

:Click: to watch M109R-vs-Rocket3 Video

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Tracktor Pull-Rocket3 vrs M109R

It's hard to tell from the video but this is how close it was.

·
Registered
898 Posts

OH Damn  :eek: that is way cool :bigthumbsup: Thanks so much for sharing Lamont :bow:

Wonder if rolling start was more beneficial for you or him....

Anway great vid .... and again thanks for taking the time to post it  :clap2:

khrome

ps.... yea i did a freeze frame a couple times... it was reallllly close...

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

khrome13 said:
OH Damn :bigthumbsup: that is way cool :bigthumbsup: Thanks so much for sharing Lamont :bow:

Wonder if rolling start was more beneficial for you or him....

Anway great vid .... and again thanks for taking the time to post it :bigthumbsup:

khrome
Not sure but I can tell you that Rocket pulls hard all the way. :bigthumbsup: He said we were running about 125 mph according to his speedo but my GPS only said 118 mph but sometimes you need to hold it for awhile for it to get an accurate top speed.

·
Registered
629 Posts

:bigthumbsup: The run in the video looks like he might have jumped on the throttel just a tad sooner the you did. ;)
not more than a half a bike length ;) :doorag:

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Animal said:
:bigthumbsup: The run in the video looks like he might have jumped on the throttel just a tad sooner the you did. ;)
not more than a half a bike length ;) :doorag:
Let's just say I got a warning and not a spanking. ;)

G

·

toneout said:
That difference is not too hard to overcome. Fuel management with a power commander is all that is needed. Is there a way to change the final gearing on our bikes? I changed the sprockets all around on my crotchety rocket and that did wonders.
I changed my ratio on my VTX1800 by installing the rear drive from the VTX1300. So I guess it depends on whether one of the other Suzuki cruisers has a different ratio and whether it will bolt right on or not.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Re: Tracktor Pull-Rocket3 vs M109R

Nice vid Lamonster. It's an instant classic. I bet it would get lots of play on the rocket III boards too.

Bikes sound great, sound to have pretty even mods too.

Think the windshield on the rocket helped on the top end?

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

toneout said:
That difference is not too hard to overcome. Fuel management with a power commander is all that is needed. Is there a way to change the final gearing on our bikes? I changed the sprockets all around on my crotchety rocket and that did wonders.
Gearing wasn't a problem, I just need more ponies. :evil: Bottom line is in that race he took me two for two. This is not message board smack like the post I just locked. ::) I hope you understand that I posted this so I can say from my personal experience that the Rocket I raced was faster than my 109, not much but it was faster. I have video to prove it and when I get my bike dialed in I will run another one and see if I do any better. :doorag:

I have no problem with another bike beating me, I still had a big smile on my face at the end of the day and I don't think any less of the 109 and I think a little more of the Rocket3. :doorag: If you lined up a Rocket3, a Vrod, a Warrior and a 109 I would still pick the 109 because that's the bike that speaks to me. If one of those other bikes speaks to you that's great, buy it and be happy. :super:

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

GTBozak said:
Nice vid Lamonster. It's an instant classic. I bet it would get lots of play on the rocket III boards too.

Bikes sound great, sound to have pretty even mods too.

Think the windshield on the rocket helped on the top end?
Hard to say, maybe it hurt him, I don't know. :dontknow: I do know that "Rocket" is a good name for that bike. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts

Lamonster said:
Hard to say, maybe it hurt him, I don't know. :dontknow: I do know that "Rocket" is a good name for that bike. ;)
Awsome vid. lamont,my club i ride with has a fellow cow worker who had the rocket 111 when we did our skip day tour thru the white mountains of new hampshire,anyway we were coming down out of the twisties onto a nice straight piece of road and i was in top gear wfo at about 110 speedo and chip blew by me like i thru out the anchor,man that rocket is a beast,and his looked just like your buds you raced,only diff is his is all stock and quiet as a mouse,all i felt was wind when he blew by lol and my roadstar is slightly tweeked,so its nice to know when i get my 109 and get it tuned up,it wont be blistered completely by one of the big beasts lurking,cause i wont have an opertunity to give chips a run,sense some asshole gager all ready took him out,thanks God he is still with us,all be it a few broken bones,and one totaled rocket.... Thanks again for the vid lamont

·
Registered
108 Posts

ppridgen1 said:
looks like he may have had an aero trick up his sleeve as his beatle bag doors open up at high speed to tame the burble behind the bike and let him slip ahead! :bigthumbsup: :joke: :doorag:
Yup thats what i was thinking too..lol :D

·
Registered
192 Posts

Nice Vid Lamonster, I would say you did very well under the circumstances. If you were up to 120mph or thereabouts, the windloading factor must play a significant part, and in this respect if you want to go faster then look at your riding position. If you had stock bars your elbows would not be sticking out like air brakes. Compare the elbow position of the Rocket rider and the rake on his screen. I would suggest that if you had less drag you would have been beside not behind. Also if you wear leathers and full face you would create better slipstream, and it hurts less if you slide off. I,ve learned after 40 years on two wheels that its not all about numbers, its all about the man and his bike being one unit. Great stuff fantastic site luv it. Cheers to all you go faster guys been there done that got the tee shirt. Still do it now and again thanks to the 109 its brilliant.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Just saw the video over at the R3owners site, I say not bad for a bike with 500cc less motor. Actually the still shots look worse than the video. I guess us Rocket owners are glad Suzuki doesn't put a bigger engine on the 109.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

biker1059 said:
Just saw the video over at the R3owners site, I say not bad for a bike with 500cc less motor. Actually the still shots look worse than the video. I guess us Rocket owners are glad Suzuki doesn't put a bigger engine on the 109.
Like my friend Yogi said "there's no replacement for displacement". :bigthumbsup:

That' being the case I know for a fact that my Boss will walk away from the Rocket but that's going to have to be another video. ;)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Re: Tractor Pull-Rocket3 vs M109R

Lamonster,

Do you think the outcome would have been different with a roll from 15-15 MPH or even from a dead stop?? I like your attitude about the race, I was impressed with the performance of your 109 & your skills. :bigthumbsup: :clap2: :doorag:

Chuck

·
Registered
592 Posts

That was SWEEEEEEEEEET! :bigthumbsup:
To Much Fun LaMonster :D
Big Joe.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Could the Rocket beat the "Legend?"
[/URL]

I've ridden Yogi's Rocket, and although I think it runs great, I don't think it would beat my stock Valk by much. Lamont, your thoughts on the subject?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts