M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear everyone talk about the torque of this bike but I don't think it's that good.
Don't get me wrong I love the bike but it seems to me it's not that happy below 2,000rpm.
I tried it on the weekend and if you're in a high gear at say 1,500 to 2,000 and try to accelerate it just starts clunking and banging away and is not a nice feeling.
While my old Mean Streak was no rocket like the 109 it would go down to idle in 5th gear and pull away smoothly and that was two up.
What do others think?
Is it due to the 109 being so oversquare with a short stroke?

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Aussie109 said:
I hear everyone talk about the torque of this bike but I don't think it's that good.
Don't get me wrong I love the bike but it seems to me it's not that happy below 2,000rpm.
I tried it on the weekend and if you're in a high gear at say 1,500 to 2,000 and try to accelerate it just starts clunking and banging away and is not a nice feeling.
While my old Mean Streak was no rocket like the 109 it would go down to idle in 5th gear and pull away smoothly and that was two up.
What do others think?
I think it more of a drivetrain issue and not a torque issue. The torque is there but the drivetrain does not like to be worked in the wrong gear. I've find that a little throttle control will do wonders for torquing in the wrong gear.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The difference between the 2 engines is the state of tune and flywheel mass. the M109 is tuned to made pretty good HP at the top of it's rev range which will sacrifice a bit of low rev torque.
It has a lighter cranktrain to allow it to build revs quickly.

The Mean Streak is much more mildly tuned, makes it's best torque under 3500 and, since it makes power mostly down low, it has greater flywheel mass to smooth out it's power pulses making it more tractable at low engine speeds.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
J R said:
I agree with a chain you have a cush drive and with a belt the same.With the ring and pinion theres no give so everything goes straight to the rear with nothig to soak up the vibrations and harmonic,s but your butt.When in doubt Just shift to a lower gear :bigthumbsup:
There is a pretty good size cush drive but I still feel it in the gears so the cush drive can only take so much. ::)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm also mildly annoyed by the less than stellar pull away power at low RPM.It mite be the shortened stroke,but NOT the drivetrain.THe Valkyrie and VTX have excellent roll-on
powerband,and excel in that dept.I feel the airboxes aren't getting air florce fed into the engine and the exhaust is also choked-up.Maybe the mapping is off enough to delay the right air/fuel delievery OR the injectors pulse width isn't correlated with enough intake manifold pressure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am very happy with mine.And it's all stock,for now.Just keep the rpms up a little.Shouldn't hurt anything except maybe a little on the gas mileage.Its a toy,play with it. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Gas milage thats a good point,has anyone checked there milage under normal driving conditions while doing a trip?? Can it get 35 mpg+ or better?? Also can the shaft drive be converted to belt drive,maybe we could pick up say 15hp? Just a thought.. ::)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys
All we need is for Suzuki to develop a Honda like VTEC type engine to get the best of both worlds.

G

·
Oh no we don't. My last bike had VTEC and the discussion was how to defeat the system so it ran on 4 valves all the time.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Don't forget this thing is 700 lbs ....I think we forget that sometimes , If it were crotch rocket wieght...just imagine :eek:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
toneout said:
Oh no we don't. My last bike had VTEC and the discussion was how to defeat the system so it ran on 4 valves all the time.
VTEC runs all 4 valves all the time doesn't it"
I thought at a certain rev point it swapped to a more aggressive cam profile for power at high revs

·
Registered
78 Posts
Aussie109 said:
While my old Mean Streak was no rocket like the 109Â it would go down to idle in 5th gear and pull away smoothly and that was two up.
What do others think?
Ummm, there is not a motorcycle in the world that wants to be at 1500-2000 RPM, cruiser or not! BOG BOG BOG

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aussie109 said:
While my old Mean Streak was no rocket like the 109Â it would go down to idle in 5th gear and pull away smoothly and that was two up.
The Mean Streak must be the only one then it idled around a 1,000 or less and would pull away without complaint.
While riding along the coast near me I have to keep the 109 in 4th or even 3rd (low speed limit and hilly) to stop it complaining whereas the Mean Streak could handle 5th no problem and still sound good.
I think the Mean Streak had taller gearing too 40kph/1000rpm v's 33 for the 109.
Still don't regret trading to the 109 everytime I pass 3,000 :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Aussie109 said:
I thought at a certain rev point it swapped to a more aggressive cam profile for power at high revs
No, it runs only 2 valves per cyl. untill around 6-7k rpm. It's pure over-engineering IMO.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Techmaven said:
No, it runs only 2 valves per cyl. untill around 6-7k rpm. It's pure over-engineering IMO.
If it works the same as it does with the cars, then it uses all 4 valves all the time and then switches over to different lift/duration lobes on the cams.

I have the Toyota version on my Corolla. It feels like a 50hp shot of nitrous when it makes its "move".

G

·
Aussie109 said:
I had a 2002 VFR, the first year of it here in the states. During low rpms (up to 7K) it ran on 2 valves to help low end performance. Above 7k it ran on 4 valves. The 2006 VFR lowered the switchover to around 5k I believe. It was the first bike to meet the next CARB ratings. That is probably the major reason for the system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts