M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting a new torque wr and I have look for some reviews and I was wanting all of my fellow 9ers to help me. I have heard bad reviews for the craftmans but snap on seems good. But 350.00 that's alot. Sso whatdo you guys think

·
Registered
281 Posts
I am looking into getting a new torque wr and I have look for some reviews and I was wanting all of my fellow 9ers to help me. I have heard bad reviews for the craftmans but snap on seems good. But 350.00 that's alot. Sso whatdo you guys think
I have a AmPro 3/8" Dr. Micrometer that I picked up for real cheap at Advanced Autoparts. I originally wanted it mainly for my oil changes, so I know when enough is enough! I don't think I paid more than 40 bucks for it and it works great. It's the clicker kind and saves me lots of anxiety when I am working on soft aluminum components on any machine :bigthumbsup:

-RT

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I use to be a mechanic well I guess i still am but just on my own stuf for the most part so i have Snap on and like them alot I think for someone useing them at home once in awhile a craftsman or one that you can pic up at your auto parts store would work just fine what ever you decide just do not loan them out!! Don`t ask me who I know this!!:bigthumbsup: it gets expensive getting them recalabrated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i was using a Harbor freight for years then my brother gave me as a gift a snap on 1/2 in drive torque wrench,the finish of the snap-on was much better than the harbor freight,but guess what,the torque values were nearly identical so unless you are a pro mechanic save a few hundred bucks and check out harbor freight

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I use to work for a very large engine rebuilding plant. we sold motors to Pep Boy, Auto zone ETC. We did up to 100 motors a day. We had an every friday turn in on all the torque wrenches for recalibration. Why? Because we found that they came out of spec on a regular basis. Out of all the Click,dial wrenchs we scale tested and reset, the only ones to always pass were the good old beam style. As long as the pointer was on zero they seemed to be within spec. If you have a click style and it gets dropped you have no way to know if it is still holding spec unless you have a scale for testing torque wrenches. Beam styles are dinosaurs but very reliable ones.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I use to work for a very large engine rebuilding plant. we sold motors to Pep Boy, Auto zone ETC. We did up to 100 motors a day. We had an every friday turn in on all the torque wrenches for recalibration. Why? Because we found that they came out of spec on a regular basis. Out of all the Click,dial wrenchs we scale tested and reset, the only ones to always pass were the good old beam style. As long as the pointer was on zero they seemed to be within spec. If you have a click style and it gets dropped you have no way to know if it is still holding spec unless you have a scale for testing torque wrenches. Beam styles are dinosaurs but very reliable ones.
Wow, up to 500 motors a week... there's no wonder you had to get those wrenches recalibrated weekly! One day use on a wrench at the rebuilding plant is more than a lifetime of use mine will ever get, so I don't plan on having it recalibrated unless I drop it :bigthumbsup:

-RT

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Wow, up to 500 motors a week... there's no wonder you had to get those wrenches recalibrated weekly! One day use on a wrench at the rebuilding plant is more than a lifetime of use mine will ever get, so I don't plan on having it recalibrated unless I drop it :bigthumbsup:

-RT
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-239.html

For that price, I'll buy a new one if I drop it!

This review, well is kinda crazy...:eek:

Great wrench Review by Don

I've abused the heck out of this thing. I actually use it to break loose bolts due to the longer length and it still clicks at the proper torque when I compare it to my Matco torque wrench. It is a bit loose in the gear head (does not skip teeth though) but like I said I have used it to break loose bolts that my impact could not break loose. Great torque wrench for the trunk for emergencies.
(Posted on 5/20/10)

·
Registered
281 Posts
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-239.html

For that price, I'll buy a new one if I drop it!

This review, well is kinda crazy...:eek:

Great wrench Review by Don

I've abused the heck out of this thing. I actually use it to break loose bolts due to the longer length and it still clicks at the proper torque when I compare it to my Matco torque wrench. It is a bit loose in the gear head (does not skip teeth though) but like I said I have used it to break loose bolts that my impact could not break loose. Great torque wrench for the trunk for emergencies.
(Posted on 5/20/10)
Holy smoke!!!!!!!!!! How can it be that cheap:dontknow:
For that price... you're right - pretty much disposable once out of calibration! I've never calibrated mine... figuring that even a 10% inaccuracy doesn't make much difference for twisting an oil pan drain plug :-\

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
I use a harbor freight special!!! For the amount I use it, It works just fine!;) $20
:agree:I have the foot LBS and the inch LBS from them work great for me also

1 - 12 of 12 Posts