M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on another thread, but thought I would start a new topic to help keep ignorance at bay.

If you do the math (has anyone done this yet?), the theoretical top speed using a 7500 rpm rediline and the stock rear 240/40/18 tire, is 162.64 mph (this does not take into consideration ambient conditions)

To hit the magical 150 mph, under the same conditions, you would have to be able to hit 6,917 rpm's.

These are "true" numbers, and not based on what the speedometer reads.

Now, the question for those with the mod (mine will be here tomorrow), do you have enough power to make that additional 717 rpm's to hit 150 mph?

My guess is....WITH OUT A DOUBT.

I own a Warrior with H.C. pistons/air/exhaust, etc. etc., and it is not as powerful (quick & fast aside) as my stock 109. I love the Warrior, but for different reasons than I do the 109.

By profession, I am a Forensic Engineer and Accident Reconstructionist. Masters in Mechanical Engineering and a Licensed Professional Engineer. I do a lot of motorcycle accident reconstructions and do not advise anyone to play around with the top speed limiter. The Engineers at Suzuki know what they are doing for safety. However, how quick you get up to a "Safe-and-prudent" speed (in some places that can be 150+++ mph), that is another questions. One that the JSD-3M mod I think can answer.

DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID...although I could always use another client     
Be SAFE.

My kids: '04 Honda ST1300, '03 Yamaha Warrior, '06 "Slowzuki" M109R

G

·
What did you use for the final drive gear ratio, I have been hunting around for the transmission specifications and cannot find them anywhere.

TAZ

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I think wind drag is going to be a big factor. once you get up above a 100mph it starts really showing, and you will need big hp to push through it. It's why the Hayabusa abd thenew ZX14 spent so much time in the wind tunnel. It might help to tuck in but on the M109 I think youwon't see over the tach!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yep the problem with high speed is the air resistance. I'll have some top speed runs done on the dyno and expect with a JSD installed (7200 red line is a bit more realistic in 5th) to see around 145-150mph range.

To obtain faster top end speeds, more hp is realy needed. So changing gearing w/o a big hp increase may not yeild the best results.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
raw_taz said:
What did you use for the final drive gear ratio, I have been hunting around for the transmission specifications and cannot find them anywhere.

TAZ
It's in the last 2-3 pages of the owners manual. The overall final ratio was 3.508.

At 7200 rpm's, the speed is V = [(RPM)(wheel radii)] / [(ratio)(168)]

Or V = [(7200)(12.78)] / [(3.508)(168)] = 156.13 mph.

Cheers,

G

·
emvanderpol said:
It's in the last 2-3 pages of the owners manual. The overall final ratio was 3.508.

At 7200 rpm's, the speed is V = [(RPM)(wheel radii)] / [(ratio)(168)]

Or V = [(7200)(12.78)] / [(3.508)(168)]Â Â =Â Â 156.13 mph.

Cheers,
Thanks for the info, I did the mod and on the dyno it is 150 mph. I have a post about it with the graph.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Beyond a doubt, the JSD3M plug'n'play has allowed me to better use the previously limited power Suzuki has in this bike. Most of us, myself included, are still looking for that little additional horsepower. For now, we're waiting for the aftermarket to catch up with exhaust, intake, and fuel management mods.
If that doesn't slake all of our desires, I'm sure superchargers, and other external, and internal add ons are down the road.
For myself, I think I'll be satisfied with a darn fast, super quick, sweet sounding, beautiful cruiser, but who knows.
Jer

jeffw said:
Yep the problem with high speed is the air resistance. I'll have some top speed runs done on the dyno and expect with a JSD installed (7200 red line is a bit more realistic in 5th) to see around 145-150mph range.

To obtain faster top end speeds, more hp is realy needed. So changing gearing w/o a big hp increase may not yeild the best results.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
At 6'9 370lb if i can go 130 i will be happy caus the bike has the power to get me up a big hill and i cn take a date :bigthumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.